Tips on going natural/transitioning

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Wow! There are tons of threads on this site about transitioning to natural
cool.gif
I decided to create this thread because I noticed that there are still some misconceptions and questions about what to do and how to go natural. I am NO expert,but since I have transitioned from October 2002 to February 2004, I know a lil something something
smile.gif
Here are my personal tips and advice to those who have decided or are contemplating going natural. Other natural ladies,please chime in for completeness
smile.gif

1. DO NOT comb natural/transitioning hair when it is dry!!! This is the main problem that women experience and is the most important concept when going natural. Have you all ever been told that if you grow out your perm your hair will break off? Well,it is not the the growing out process itself that is the problem,it's trying to comb the hair as you would if you were still perming. YOU HAVE TO TAKE YOUR TIME AND COMB YOUR HAIR! You cannot just rake a comb through it at all. The best times to comb natural/transitioning hair is in the shower,when it is soaking wet and full of conditioner and even out the shower,when it is wet/damp and it has some sort of hair product in it. For detangling purposes,use a wide toothed comb. I prefer the K-Cutter. Not only does it detangle,but it can be used as a pick if you want to be froed out that day.
smile.gif
Personally,I even use a small rattail comb on my hair for further detangling,but that is only after I detangle my hair with a wide toothed comb and my hair is still full of product and is wet/damp. Another great detangling tool is the Denman 3-da bomb. It can be used as a detangler and greatly distributes product throughout the hair. If you have curly or wavy hair and you are having problems seperating your curls or waves, this brush will hook you up.
smile.gif

2. Wear low maintenance styles. You will experience breakage if you are styling your hair often. I recommend wearing braid/twist extentions, braidouts, rollersets,strawsets, or cornrows. You can even body wrap your hair while transtioning
smile.gif

3.MOISTURIZE,MOISTURIZE,MOISTURIZE!! I cannot stress this enough. When I transitioned I learned this technique a little later,but I learned it. I purchased an applicator brush and applied moisturizer to my newgrowth this way. It helped me evenly distribute the product on my new growth. If you are wondering what an applicator brush is,it is the type of brush beauticians use to apply perms to the new growth.

4. Ladies, try to find a hair buddy. Search for hair albums that resemble YOUR hair type. I am NOT saying don't look at other hair albums,but you really have to be careful when you do. This is where the having the proper mindset about going natural comes in to play. Some women can spray water and gel on their hair and voila! That's their style for the day. Others,well, we all can't do just this,so please be careful when looking in others albums,ESPECIALLY if you are not completely sure about your decision to go natural or not. Here is a list with hair albums and hair types of young ladies who are either transitioning or already natural:

1. 2a-3a or b: Search fotki for- Irresistible (member here), Hairlove (member here),Potterville, Carefree (member here), lovelykinky (picture trail),Dreamypisces (has an album on Nappturality)

2. 3a-4b Search Nappturality for: Sweet Africa (awesome album!!!), Me (Naturali-t), CocoaDiva, Delightfulflame,Pookeylou,Ravensholst2, Melanizm,Azure,Honeychild, Earthangel, aww heck, just go to nappturality's hair gallery! For 3a-4b ladies on fotki,search icurly, Naturallynursey, Micarae (oh my goodness-ya'll ain't ready!!), 2twisted, Maestradiva77, Mecca, thighslikewhat. There are many more,but this is enough for me to type right now
cool.gif

Also,about shrinkage-it is inevitable. Many may be in for a rude awakening while transitioning-I know I was. See, while transtioning,the permed ends stretch the new growth a bit,causing the new growth to appear longer than what it really is,but when you cut of the new growth
look.gif
Take a look at this young ladie's album on fotki: http://public.fotki.com/N4U2LM . This girl has some shrinkage. If you search in the right hair album,you will note that she has the versatility of wearing her hair in a puff,but when her hair is stretched out
shocked.gif
yall ain't ready!! This girl has past brastrap length hair!!

Lastly I want to add that going natural involves 50% mindset and 50% styling and maintaining your hair's health. If you are not sure about your decision,don't tell people. They will not understand why you want to show off your napps and if you are not sure yourself,you will perm again. You need to find a support system to help encourage you along,but please don't make the support system YOUR final say. After awhile you should be comfortable with your decision and be ready to support someone else.
smile.gif
Also,if you ARE ready, please get rid of all of the box perms and texturizer kits in your closet
laugh.gif
Just my 7.00 on going natural. Hope This Helps!

Thank you so much for sharing. These are great tips. The only problem is that I wish I knew what my hair type is.
wink.gif
adding to favorites...and hoping for more great tips!

-a future transitioner
smile.gif

GREAT thread! I just have one or two more tips to add...

1. BE Patient!!! Learning to take care of natural is a learning process. It involves some trial and error.

2. Have FUN with your hair!!!
grin.gif

I have a tip!!!!

try to minimize straightening your hair if you are still contemplating. why? well if you see all the new growth against your relaxed hair it may urge you to relax again. So basically its a self control prob for SOME not all people
smile.gif

Im a 3b/c texture so if you'd like you can use my album as a reference too. Great advice
up.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
I have a tip!!!!

try to minimize straightening your hair if you are still contemplating. why? well if you see all the new growth against your relaxed hair it may urge you to relax again. So basically its a self control prob for SOME not all people
smile.gif

Im a 3b/c texture so if you'd like you can use my album as a reference too. Great advice
up.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. In MY personal opinion,using heat on the new growth often is just as bad as combing the hair without using the proper technique. Keep the heat to a minimum. There are ladies who experience heat damage and have had to start all over with their transition. Be careful with the heat!!

Oh one more thing. If I had the head to do the big chop,I would have because have you ladies noticed that when women do the big chop,their hair seems to just sprout like weeds!! Oh wee!!

My problem last year when I attempted to transition was the knots. But I soon learned that two products was causing this, not just newgrowth and relaxed hair battling with each other.
swordfight.gif
I gave in anyway.
laugh.gif

Hey Bub, what did you use on your newgrowth to get it so straight for your rollersets and what kind of hood dryer did you have, if you don't mind me asking? I remember seeing you do them in your album and your hair came out perfectly straight.
shocked.gif
laugh.gif

Okay I just looked at N4U2LM's fotki page and I am DYING!!! Her hair is so freaking beautiful it's not even funny! Ooooh I cannot wait until my hair gets that long....oh and the picture where she stretched her hair; I ALMOST FAINTED AWAY RIGHT AT MY DESK!
smile.gif

printing...
user.gif

Do you have to get separate products for your new growth than what you would use for your relaxed hair?

luv, Luv, LUVED!!!!!! N4U2LM's album with the MEGA shrinkage and girl you are right, i wasnt ready
laugh.gif
!! dannggggg she has ALOT of beautiful hair!!!!!!!
shocked.gif
I actually liked it in the puff she had it in, in the one pic just looking huge. wow, that was beautiful. I see she wants to loc. they are gonna be down to her butt in like 2-3 years
smile.gif
whoa-- jainygirl

You go girl! Like that little shout out too!
smile.gif

You covered all the basis. I would definitly buy Tekeyah Crystal Kemah's book Natural Hair/Natural Woman if you are "style challenged" like me. She has tons of styles for transitioners.

I am defineately one of those "in between" transitioners. I can honestly say that I am weak when it comes to myself confidence in going natural. I however am not doing a great job with my relaxed hair. I just get so lazy!! For example, yesterday I was too lazy to put a scarf on my hair and slept without one. (Oh the shame) I also don't know what products work best on 4b hair. My hair will be soft one minute then hard the next. I do love that Salerm 21 though!

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
Okay I just looked at N4U2LM's fotki page and I am DYING!!! Her hair is so freaking beautiful it's not even funny! Ooooh I cannot wait until my hair gets that long....oh and the picture where she stretched her hair; I ALMOST FAINTED AWAY RIGHT AT MY DESK!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

girl i did too...
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
Great info Bub.
wave.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif
@ Bub

Thanks for starting this thread...Bub.
smile.gif

Also for anyone with long hair that is in transition and still scared to chop, please, please, please..... look at N4U2LM's album. Her hair is past brastrap and in EXCELLENT condition when she did the chop and her hair is GORGEOUS both relaxed and natural.

BublnBrnSuga-- again thanks for posting that album link, that album is so inspirational because not only is her hair so lush and beautiful, but she's right back at brastrap in three years when stretched. It's just proof that hair grows the same regardless. Shrinkage is just shrinkage
smile.gif
--Thanks girl I had to give this Post 5 stars cause there wasnt a 6 star choice
laugh.gif
-- jainygirl

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
My problem last year when I attempted to transition was the knots. But I soon learned that two products was causing this, not just newgrowth and relaxed hair battling with each other.
swordfight.gif
I gave in anyway.
laugh.gif

Hey Bub, what did you use on your newgrowth to get it so straight for your rollersets and what kind of hood dryer did you have, if you don't mind me asking? I remember seeing you do them in your album and your hair came out perfectly straight.
shocked.gif
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Karonica! For my rollersets I can't exactly remember what I used on my hair,but the info you want is in my hair album. http://public.fotki.com/Naturali-t password- nolye.
I really don't think it matters WHAT type of products you use,but all I used was a leave in and a moisturizer. The trick to rollersetting is getting the hair to stay as straight as possible during the rollerset
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Bobbie said:
printing...
user.gif

Do you have to get separate products for your new growth than what you would use for your relaxed hair?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah that's not necessary.

[ QUOTE ]
egan26 said:
Bublnbrnsuga what is your password and would you happen to know Micarae's password?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

My new password is nolye. I know Mica's,but you have to ask her for her password.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
NubianAngel said:
Hey isn't she (N4U2LM) on this site under the name "Allaboutthehair"? Her natural avatar caught my eye yesterday.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno
confused.gif

Great thread! Great advices! I am so glad to see black women learning how to really take care of their natural hair.
smile.gif

Back