APL > BSL/MBL

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
Just a quick question to those ladies that have already made it to BSL and MBL and those on their way from APL to BSL and MBL...are there any specific practices you focus on to go from APL to BSL and MBL? In other words, what are some of the things that APL ladies should be doing more of to get to BSL and MBL?

remnant

From APL to BSL what works for me was/is :

• Protective styles (Crown and glory challenge :individuals with extensions, weave, twists)
  • Moisturizing/sealing hair every other day
  • Co washing once a week
  • Moisturizing Poo every other week
  • Clarifying poo once every 5/6 weeks
  • Reconstructor(affirm 5in1) every other week
  • Deep conditionning every two weeks when i'm not on Protective style or every 5 weeks after taking Protective style off!
  • No trim challenge
I'm planning to continue with this until my ultimate goal!

EDITED: I TAKE MULTIVITAMINS 6 MONTHS A YEAR, DRINK WATER AND EAT WELL!

Last edited:

monami

I am currently pass APL and on my way to BSL ( I hope at least by summer 2008) I find what has help the most is to stay consistent and keep it simple. Just keep doing whatever you have been doing it is working and your hair looks great

BronzyBella

monami said:
Just keep doing whatever you have been doing it is working and your hair looks great

Good advice. I actually plan to keep up with the protective styles, moisturizing, and MSM that I have been taking. The only two things I may do differently is: wear hats and scarves sometimes to protect my hair from the sun, and experiment with no-poo (castile soap & shampoo bars).

Guyaneek

soun said:
From APL to BSL what works for me was/is :

• Protective styles (Crown and glory challenge :individuals with extensions, weave, twists)
  • Moisturizing/sealing hair every other day
  • Co washing once a week
  • Moisturizing Poo every other week
  • Clarifying poo once every 5/6 weeks
  • Reconstructor(affirm 5in1) every other week
  • Deep conditionning every two weeks when i'm not on Protective style or every 5 weeks after taking Protective style off!
  • No trim challenge
I'm planning to continue with this until my ultimate goal!

EDITED: I TAKE MULTIVITAMINS 6 MONTHS A YEAR, DRINK WATER AND EAT WELL!

This sounds like a very simple routine. I am definitely going to take notes from this. Any reason you only take vitamins 6 months out of the year? What vitamins do you take? Not so much brands...

Blackoutzangel05

I am not at any of the aforementioned lengths yet but I believe that if you continue doing what got you to APL then you should be fine. Sometimes just staying consistent with what you have been doing and what has been working is all that you need to do. It worked for you this far right?

remnant

Guyaneek said:
This sounds like a very simple routine. I am definitely going to take notes from this. Any reason you only take vitamins 6 months out of the year? What vitamins do you take? Not so much brands...

Hi Guyaneek,
I always take multivitamins when the seasons changed (between summer and fall; between fall and winter; between winter and spring; rarely between spring and summer) i read that during that time shedding is higher and the doctor adviced to take it 2/3 months at a time not longer than that.
I take a french Brand :
Multi-levures(yeast) : peau ongles cheveux
NUTRISANTE
vitaminsB5 B2 B6 B1 B12 B9 B8 E C B3,beer yeast..(100%of our daily needs), Hope it helps :)

Last edited:

Guyaneek

soun said:
Hi Guyaneek,
I always take multivitamins when the seasons changed (between summer and fall; between fall and winter; between winter and spring; rarely between spring and summer) i read that during that time shedding is higher and the doctor adviced to take it 2/3 months at a time not longer than that.
I take a french Brand :
Multi-levures(yeast):peau ongles cheveux
NUTRISANTE
vitaminsB5 B2 B6 B1 B12 B9 B8 E C B3,beer yeast..(100%of our daily needs), Hope it helps :)

Thanks!
Interesting about the vitamins!!!! I'm going to consider that! (always trying to spare a buck;)

Miss*Tress

I got to BSL from APL in the space of 3-4 months. At the time I was on a high-protein weight-loss program and otherwise too busy to worry about hair. By the time summer ended, there it was.

Now if only it wouldn't take so long to get to waist length. :wallbash:

bablou00

tryin to keep it simple besides the fact that I wash my hair everyday. I am wishing to be BSL by Feb. but I know I am dreaming. My back is about 2inches from. Really I am keeping it consistent and hair up until June when the summer of weddings to start. I want to wear big barrel curls with all the weddings I am so this is pretty much what I am doing

Co wash everyday I work out: 5-6 days a week'
Chelating poo and Shampoo: Sunday and Wednesday
Leave in conditioner everytime wash
Deep condition on shampoo days
Protein when my hair seems to need it
Seal with moisturizer and oil mix
Hair up in loose bun or clip for during the week
Rollerset only on special occasions on weekend
Little to no heat and combing
Massage scalp when I get off work and go to bed
I am now starting to cook more so Im adding more veg, fruits, protein to my diet, vitamins on the daily, water like its going out of style and absolutely no trims until the big cut to even up to bsl....whenever that is.

Hopefully BSL in Feb but its really looking like April....

Good luck ladies we can do it

HoneyA

Admittedly, I have tweaked my regimen a bit since SL-APL, it's a lot simpler and I've been getting great results in terms of thickness and health. Here's what I've done:

-incorporated low manipulation (only combing every approx. every 2 weeks)
-taking B-100 and flaxseed oil along with my biotin
-regularly using castor oil for sealing, coconut oil for prepooing and olive oil for sealing and prepooing.

These have allowed me to see real changes from month to month as opposed to having to wait until 3 or 4 months is up. I'm at 14 weeks post now. I started these "new" aspects only 14 weeks ago and my hair does feel thicker and healthier. I'll do a proper length check at my next retouch. I also realize that if I wanted to stretch for longer this time I could. Usually I'm itching to go to the salon at 12 weeks post so I know the prepooing and the oiling is also helping to tame my NG. So I guess, tweaking your regimen somewhat from time to time can allow you to see major progress in a short space of time and thus help you to hit your hair goals sooner. The last 14 weeks have also confirmed that it's the simplest of techniques that make the biggest differences. MBL here I come!:yep:

soonergirl

great thread, I kinda thought the thread was about that too honey!!:drunk: I like hearing about what is best, I am 3 inches from bsl (good glory!!) and wondering what to do, and it makes sense as the previous poster stated... the same thing I did to get to apl!! Good luck ladies...

HoneyA

It's true, the basic practices that got you from SL-APL will get you from APL-BSL and beyond but sometimes we forget things or take things for granted. I know I don't handle my hair as gently as I should all the time and something as simple as handling your hair more gently works wonders to help you avoid breakage and retain length. So if any one has any little extras (they don't have to be complicated) that they realized have been working well/ have worked for them to get to BSL and beyond, please feel free to share:yep:...

TLC1020

I'm trying to get from APL to BSL and I have 4" to go.. I'm trying to see how long it will for me to reach BSL.... Looking at my fotki how long do you think it will take?

nappity

Dont do what I did- Thats go to a bad Dominican salon where they fried my hair with a blow drier and I had to trim 2 inches off. Anyway for me low manipulation and keeping it moisturized and never using a rat tail comb has been my saving grace.

Im also trying the Ayurvedic challenge have you seen Candy C and Sareca and Ms Cocoface's hair?
Also I'm trying the MN challenge at the beginning of the year- Im experimenting with different formulations now. I want those 2 inches back and then some:gorgeous:!

locabouthair

I'm trying to get from APL to BSL and I have 4" to go.. I'm trying to see how long it will for me to reach BSL.... Looking at my fotki how long do you think it will take?

well it depends on your growth rate. if you get1/2 inch per month and retain all of it, without trims it would take you 8 months.

HoneyA

Your hair looks healthy. How much growth on average do you get per month, 1/2 ", 3/4"? Then you can work out approximately which month you'll most likely reach BSL barring any setbacks of course. If you trim, you have to add in for trims as well.

HoneyA

Dont do what I did- Thats go to a bad Dominican salon where they fried my hair with a blow drier and I had to trim 2 inches off. Anyway for me low manipulation and keeping it moisturized and never using a rat tail comb has been my saving grace.

Im also trying the Ayurvedic challenge have you seen Candy C and Sareca and Ms Cocoface's hair?
Also I'm trying the MN challenge at the beginning of the year- Im experimenting with different formulations now. I want those 2 inches back and then some:gorgeous:!

Cool texture! The ayurvedic techniques seem to be really working for people. Candy C seems to have got mad growth from them! I'd try them if I could find the oils and powders here but I don't know where to start looking. I might just have to order them online.

nappity

Cool texture! The ayurvedic techniques seem to be really working for people. Candy C seems to have got mad growth from them! I'd try them if I could find the oils and powders here but I don't know where to start looking. I might just have to order them online.

Your location says the Caribbean many Indians and Guyanese are there- you can go to any off their stores and buy boxes of powders. If you are here in the good US of A, locate the Indian community in your area and I guarantee that you will find a variety of anything ayurvedic you want. But get the powders its easier to make teas and oils with them. I buy mine from a supermarket that specializes in foods from India,Africa and The Carribbean

kbody4

Good thread HoneyA!! I seemed to cannot get pass APL and I just want to scream. I wear buns and keep my ends protected and moisturized. and I still loose inches because so much has to be trimmed :sad: IDK, maybe I'm just obsessing too much.

choconillaprincess

i've been @ an APL plateau for quite some time but the problem w/me is that i didnt have a routine or really do anything special 2 get there... all i did was go natural... that really made my hair grow but now it seems like nothing is happening... of course i'm still a newbie so maybe i should just be patient... and keep up w/this thread!

HoneyA

Most of the Indian stores I come across sell clothes, haven't seen any at all selling powders and oils. For the ladies who have been at APL for a while, I hope this thread will give you some simple techniques to try to help you get over the hump. A lot can change in just a month:yep:.

TLC1020

Hey HoneyA, I believe I get anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4" of newgrowth a month.. I tried to monitor how much I get but I always forget to measure.. I guess I'll make it when I make it... Thanks....

Your hair looks healthy. How much growth on average do you get per month, 1/2 ", 3/4"? Then you can work out approximately which month you'll most likely reach BSL barring any setbacks of course. If you trim, you have to add in for trims as well.

HoneyA

Good thread HoneyA!! I seemed to cannot get pass APL and I just want to scream. I wear buns and keep my ends protected and moisturized. and I still loose inches because so much has to be trimmed :sad: IDK, maybe I'm just obsessing too much.

Are the ends of your hair damaged even with all the moisturizing and protecting? Is that why you have to keep trimming?

MiWay

I think that paying more attention to my ends and doing more DCs helped me tremendously. I also don't comb much, and when I do, I use my Jilbere shower comb.

Last edited:

silverlotus

D/cing religiously, protective styles, & daily moisturizing is what helps me. Also, pay attention to your hair & know it's needs. Understanding the protein/moisture balance and when you need what helps a LOT. IMO, most breakage happens because the balance is off.