tiny knots at end of strand?

Does anyone have a solution to the knots? From the responses it seems like everyone's vulnerable- relaxed or natural, colored or not. I would love to find out the cause because I end up snipping off lots of length just to get rid of them.

Hi, Kaela.

I read somewhere (don't remember the source) that when you notice these tiny knots, it is time for a trim. I get them occasionally.

northernbelle

I recently noticed that I get them more when I'm wearing a twist-out and don't comb my hair out before I wash it.

I guess that makes sense, cuz there's probably a lot of loose hairs in there that have been shed and not combed out, so they get tangled in the other hair.

Re: tiny knots at end of strand? (update)

I just wanted to bump because I've gotten this issue under control. I still have occasional tiny knots but no where near how it was when I first posted this. Here's what I've done differently that has helped.

1.) Regular dusting (micro-trims). My ends stay much smoother and less prone to knots. I know some people can go months w/o a trim, but I need a micro trim at least every several weeks. I use either the split-ender, or I use scissors to just barely trim the hair that is in the crown, front and sides. These are the areas that I had the issues with the knots because its the top layer and more exposed (also lighter in color).

2.) Neutral hennalucent treatments. I have experimented with the color hennalucent, but I think for strengthening and conditioning this is much better. I have done two neutral treatments since august and I'm going to do another soon. The reason this has helped me is because it slightly thickens my strands (I have fine hair) and makes them less likely to stretch and curl around each other when I'm detangling.

3.) Making sure ends are always smooth and always moisturized. This is probably sounds like an obvious one, but I think my air drying method was a culprit to the knots. Even if I had oiled my ends, they were not always smooth and I think this caused knots too. I try to make sure that no matter how my hair is drying (roller sets, bun(s), loose) that my ends are well coated and smoothed as possible. Additionally whenever my hair feels dry I either rinse it or spritz with water and use something to oil the ends. Also, Lee's vaseline method has been really helpful this winter, when a lot of my summer methods weren't cutting it. I make sure I avoid product build up on them.
I think with the hair ends its not the schedule that you moisturize them, but that you make sure that they are always protected. This changes with the weather, the products you are using, etc. So sometimes you need to treat them everyday, and sometimes you can go a few days but its a matter of recognizing that they are dry and actively doing something about it.

I hope this helps someone else!
wink.gif

I have been having loads of knots so I finally broke down and trimmed the ends yesterday. I was trying to wait 6 months for a trim ha ha ha it had been over 3 months. (Im mad cos I usually cut my hair only on full moons and I forgot all about that.) But anyway I think that basically the hair needs a little trim when it knots up. And all curly hair does this whether black or white.
I just hope the knots stop now.....

hair 3c

Last night in Manhattan, looked like between a half moon and a full moon.
smile.gif

Thanks Kaela for the info.
Controlling my knotty ends has been my greatest hair care challenge.

[ QUOTE ]
cutebajangirl said:
I don't know where you live but last night here in NY it was a full moon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in L.A. and it looked like it was three quarters last nite. I cant find any info but I think there was a full moon this week.....so maybe it will still count
smile.gif

Whew, I have been getting these knots lately. I think it is about time for a trim. I plan on getting one this weekend. I can't let these knots wreck havoc on my hair anymore
smile.gif

I was so afraid, of stripping my hair by shampooing it too much, that my products did not give me the results everyone else was getting for the last 7 months since I have been natural.

My routine was to shampoo once a month. Daily use leave-in conditioner, almond, avacado, and coconut oil. Every other day conditioner wash. Once a week apply Olive Oil. Well you can imagine what kind of build up I had on my hair. I had those knots everyday ( too much hair lost for me
shocked.gif
naughty.gif
cry3.gif
)
Last Saturday, I decided to shampoo twice with Nexxus Therappe. Then, two hour regular olive oil treatment no heat. Rinse the oil out with Suave Naturals. 15 minutes of aloe vera chlosterol treatment. OMG...
shocked.gif
It did the trick. Now my products were working great. I continued with my generic Joice K-Pak ( first time I tried it) and Motions Silk Protein Conditioner. This was the first time that the protein DID NOT
antlers.gif
harden on my hair. Lastly, I used Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner. Left it in for 15 minutes. Rinsed out. It was ubber soft when rinsing it out. Applied a little more as a leave in. AND it stayed that way ( including today
weird.gif
clap.gif
). You know what NO MORE KNOTS. I have not trimmed or cut my hair since August 2003. My hair is still ubber soft without knots. I AM IN
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

WITH MY HAIR
kiss.gif
kissing4.gif
and I never have been before. My problem was not getting rid of the build up. I even soaked my hair with warm water and baking soda to get rid of build up prior to this shampoo. That was a no go. NOW...
smile.gif
I am going to try to wash my hair once every two weeks or more to achieve this result.

Happy To Be Nappy
lachen70.gif
smile.gif
laugh.gif
weird.gif
bdance.gif

I get knots all the time! And even more since my hair is starting to get strait at the ends. I have to use a TON of gel to get it to make a cute afro, and that doesnt help with the knots..
perplexed.gif

Bumping to advise . . . I was getting terrible knots everyday for the past week or so. I "dusted" the ends two days ago, and I have seen one "mild" knot. It seems to have worked.

*bump*...So the only way to alleviate knots is to trim the hair...but what if its too much hair that's not split being trimmed off?

*bump* I washed my hair tonight and my hair tangled so bad so I had to pull the strands out with the knots...I have had this kind of tangling in almost a year...I wonder if I should switch shampoos...
scratchchin.gif

try a really good creamy conditioner with alot of slip that way you could easily detangle the knots.

Thanks for answering...I am currently using Neutrogena Triple moisture products [shampoo and daily conditioner] and I thought they were great until two weeks ago.

Back