Three Months To Grow One Inch !!!

MJ

My hair measured 5.5" as of Aug. 20, 2007 -- 64 weeks after my big chop. because my hair is always in protective styles, I hardly ever see the length. I was just looking at the pictures and then did the calculations. That's when I realized that my hair grew, on average, 1" every three months! Now I feel :sick2: and sad. I haven't done any trims since the BC and my ends are still looking good, so I know I didn't lost any length due to cuts.

I'm not giving up... but it's disheartening to say the least.

DivaRox

:sad:-sad on your behalf. That's a bitter pill to swallow. Maybe your hair just happens to be in a resting stage and your growth will start to pick up. Do you massage your scalp or do anything to stimulate your scalp any? If not, maybe you could start there to encourage it along.

lbfree

MJ - Just a little encouragement...3 months is really not very long to grow 1". Everything I've seen says hair grows between 1/4" to 1/2" per month. Yours is growing 1/3" per month (right in the middle of that:yep:). I think my normal growth rate varies through areas of my head, the bangs are the slowest. But definately 1/3" - 1/2" is also my rate of growth without growth aids. Now this is going to sound like an ad, but I do believe that Boundless Tresses may have increased my growth to about 3/4" this month. I just started using it 4 weeks ago and I really think my hair grew faster than normal. I've posted 2 photos to show my progress for the month. Check it out and let me know what you think (http://public.fotki.com/lbfree/growth-progress/). I've also been checking out another member's comments and advice. Her name is Mscocoface. It looks like ayurvedic products have done wonders for her. If you are interested in trying something new try browsing her Fotki albums.

hopeful

MJ, I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but, in my nape area I only get a little more than 1/4 inch per month, yep 1/4 inch, so I only get an inch or so every 4 months in that area, that's just 3-4 inches a year. Fortunately, the rest of my hair grows about 1/2 inch which seems to be normal.

I'm almost 18 months natural and the hair in my crown measures about 9 inches, and the hair in the nape just 5 inches. At first I was frustrated but I just decided I would be happy and grateful for every 1/4 inch because I don't have to be that lucky, it's all a blessing. It could not be growing at all, it could be falling out or breaking off, but it's not, it's just growing slowly, but steadily, and as long as I take good care of it and baby it, it will keep growing.

Hang in there sweetie :kiss:.

MJ

Thanks everyone. :yep:

DivaRox, I'm going to massage my scalp as I put my moisturizer in.

Ibfree, I made a sulfur mix and used it on and off this past summer and it did help because when I'd measured my hair around my one-year anniversary I only had 4" of growth. I keep stopping, however, because I'm not sure my scalp really likes it. My first batch ran out and then I started getting weird head pains around the same time I started using the second batch. I stopped using it a week ago and the pains stopped. I'll start again later this weekend and see what happens.

Hopeful, It is frustrating because I'd basically have to add an extra year (not including trimming to my goals), which isn't such a big deal considering it'll grow anyways. It's just that I've been on LHCF so long and my hair is shorter than it was when I first got here. But on a very hopeful note, pun intended, I just read the the Loveya shoutout thread and she said this

I have not always had really long hair. As a kid it was between shoulder length and armpit length. Then after the relaxer at 11 it grew to bra strap or mid back length. Ive cut it a few times..... It takes a long time to grow....a long long time. proabally 7-8 years i think (but i really dont know because its been cut a few times). I only get about 1 inch of new growth every 3 months....not much!

She has one of the most luxuriant hair I've ever seen. So, now I have another source of inspiration.:grin:

hopeful

MJ, that is a wonderful quote, patience really is a virtue. We will reach our goals eventually, I have NO doubt.

meaganita

Yep, I only get about 1/3 inch per month also - if that.:ohwell: But it's all about retention right!?! That's what I keep telling myself.:yep: We'll be alright girlie, don't worry. Just keep lovin' on that hair!

locabouthair

i barely get 3/4 of an inch in three months. and that's if im lucky. my hair grows really slow. try doing massages and eating better, if you don't already. i started to do both but I slacked off. sistaslick has an article on scalp massaging in her album.

don't worry girl. we'll get there.