THREAD for no reason - Random Hair Thoughts Here

adw425

I wore my hair down/out for years between the time I got my first relaxer at 14 until I decided to let the relaxer grow out. I loved wearing my down. I wore my hair down on December 15th for the first time since July 2003 and really wasn't as thrilled about it as I thought I would be. I see threads on how some are so sick and tired of protective styles. As a matter of fact, Friday a friend of mine who has been sweating me to help her grow her hair out (I have been, but she doesn't do anything I advise) told me pointblank, I don't want to wear my hair up like you do. I want to wear my hair down when I go out of town and to parties. I told her that she certainly could do that, but she needs to limit her heat and protect her ends.

I have realized lately that I do not really care about wearing my hair down although it is now longer than it has been since I was 14. I see protective styles that are so lovely and elegant to me and I really want the substantial amount of hair (which is really length and thickness) to pull off those styles -- the braided style that Julia Roberts had when she went to dinner with Hugh Grant's friends in Notting Hill; the protective styles Ann Deveare Smith wore in the American President...It used to be that I just wanted to be able to sling my hair around like I did in my youth before the relaxer, but it has evolved from there...

~Nigeria~

I am so pissed with myself for trimming too my much last year. I could have been a few more inches closer to my goal. **sigh**

blackmaven

Anything Is Possible
Carla From VA said:
What a great thread. I am wondering how everyone is able to stretch their relaxers AND do rollersets at the same time. I want to cut down on the heat, but I am 11 weeks post relaxer, and when I roller set or use flexirods, my new growth shrinks back down to an unmanageable brillo pad.

Today my coworker showed me how her hair is breaking off at the roots, she said its because she has waited 6 weeks to do a touchup and she should only go 4 weeks in between relaxers!:eek: I told her how long I had been stretching and I was trying to go from November to March or April and she said no way could she do that. Her hair is see through, I'm not exaggerating. And if you look at her head from behind, you can see her scalp through her hair. I asked what kinds of deep conditioners was she using, and she said she doesn't know what kind of shampoo/conditioner the stylist uses, but whatever it is, it is never left in any longer than 3 minutes. :eek: :eek: Then I had the audacity to ask what kind of moisturizer she was using....LeKair Super Petroleum....I mean SuperGro!! :eek: :eek: :eek: And she puts a permanent hair color on top of all this, and washes it only every two weeks. So I went into my spiel, and I could see the disinterest in her eyes. I told her about Nexxus Emergencee and how it could stop her hair from breaking and all she wanted to know is how much it costs? Cuz if it more than 10 bucks I'm not getting it!:perplexed I begged her to at least let me braid her up and slap a weave in for the rest of the winter to give her hair a break, I told her I would even GIVE her the hair. But nope she said she plans on getting a head full of finger waves instead, and she uses that hard black gel.

This conversation has racked my brain the entire afternoon. Thank goodness I am enlightened. Now I feel better I got that off my chest.

She will be back askiing questions once baldheaded watch.

jtsupanova

I cant wait to take these braids out! I really want to deep co my hair but I don't know which your supposed to do after you come out of braids (protien or moisture) Maybe I will do a protien pre poo and moisturizing deep co after but with the protien be effective....Im soo confused

ravenmerlita

Why am I so hardheaded? I kept reading LHCF threads about Aphogee and my goodness, I know my hair super fine and weak. But for some reason I didn't listen. Went all this time, reading the threads about Aphogee and ignoring the good sense. Well I finally did an Aphogee treatment this weekend... and dang!!! :eek: WHAT TOOK ME SO LONG??? This stuff is fabulous and it's not very expensive.

ashiah

I'm on a personal no-trim challenge. On Cathy Howe's web site, she encourages women to wait until they reach their goal before trimming their hair. So, I decided not to touch a pair of scissors for the entire year. I'm only 21 days into it and....this is really hard.

tenderheaded

Why do so many people think henna is hard to do??? I use Dulhan Deluxe Heena Powder ($1.99 local) and I fall more in love each time. I let it sit 1 hr slap it on for 2-3 hrs then enjoy the soft thickness.

Excuse me, I need both hands to play in my hair....:cool: :cool:

Determined22

ravenmerlita said:
Why am I so hardheaded? I kept reading LHCF threads about Aphogee and my goodness, I know my hair super fine and weak. But for some reason I didn't listen. Went all this time, reading the threads about Aphogee and ignoring the good sense. Well I finally did an Aphogee treatment this weekend... and dang!!! :eek: WHAT TOOK ME SO LONG??? This stuff is fabulous and it's not very expensive.

I had this same experience this weekend. I had the Aphogee for two months before I finally went ahead and used it.

In other news, I think I used too much ORS Olive Oil moisturizer. My hair feels heavy, whcih I hate.

KeyahGirl

Random thought - Why does someone have to be an "idiot" because they do something that you don't do? (the general "you.") I bought Ted Gibson's Hair Serum. Yes it was $200, but it also has helped my hair to not be dry and brittle after a bad touchup. Yet apparently people who would pay that amount of money are "idiots." Cheaper stuff doesn't work on everybody. :perplexed

Also, I wonder if I should get over my fear of white hairstylists. Hispanic/black stylists have not been friends of my hair. I had a nice consultation with a white hairstylist who is raved about and has done black hair - but he gave me his card AND his black colleague's card, commenting that he'd understand if I'd feel more "comfortable" with her. Thing is, I don't know if I would ... :ohwell:

bellesocialite

I have come to realize that I am so impatient. I can't wait to see the fruits of my labor with my hair. I understand watching a pot never boils (or however it goes) but waiting is so HARD.

HoneyDew

angie10 said:
Why am I still scared to try henna, anyone else feeling this way? *I know I know, I'm the only one*:look:

Try cassia. Use it under the dryer for at least 20 min and then another 40 min- an hour w/o heat. It is less messy as henna and it is very conditioning.

What about henna scares you? The color? I can understand that. You can mix 1 part henna and 3 parts cassia, too. I have done that and got no color change.

OneInAMillion

angie10 said:
Why am I still scared to try henna, anyone else feeling this way? *I know I know, I'm the only one*:look:

I'm scared too! The only reason is that I'm scared of dryness. I've looked over recipes and done my research, but sometimes ppl still have dry hair. This was a regular problem for me and I don't want to go there again :lol: . I just feel like I'll screw up, end up with dry hair and a huge setback, so I'm just gonna stick to what works for me.

angie10

HoneyDew said:
Try cassia. Use it under the dryer for at least 20 min and then another 40 min- an hour w/o heat. It is less messy as henna and it is very conditioning.

What about henna scares you? The color? I can understand that. You can mix 1 part henna and 3 parts cassia, too. I have done that and got no color change.

I might have to try that, thanks for the suggestion. You're right HoneyDew, I'm worried about what kind of color my hair might turn. My hair is naturally brown to light brown, so I'm really worried about losing my natural color for good. I love the dark look also, but I read it's permanent:eek:

angie10

OneInAMillion said:
I'm scared too! The only reason is that I'm scared of dryness. I've looked over recipes and done my research, but sometimes ppl still have dry hair. This was a regular problem for me and I don't want to go there again :lol: . I just feel like I'll screw up, end up with dry hair and a huge setback, so I'm just gonna stick to what works for me.

I thought I was the only one gurl, I'm happy to see I'm not alone:lol: I read about some people getting dryness also, plus all that mix this and that; kind of scares me. I know my luck, So I'm afraid of setbacks :ohwell:

OneInAMillion

angie10 said:
I thought I was the only one gurl, I'm happy to see I'm not alone:lol: I read about some people getting dryness also, plus all that mix this and that; kind of scares me. I know my luck, So I'm afraid of setbacks :ohwell:

Yes...and the hair color too. I like my natural color as well, and I feel like I'm just getting it back since I got rid of all that overprocessed relaxer hair (which was some strange orange nonsense). I'm just not too keen on the idea of having to permantly change my color. Though, that auburn looks sooooooooo pretty on some people. I'm just not sure it would suit me as well.

And if it didn't look nice.....boy I know ppl would tell me about myself :lol: ! I wanted to get a black rinse, and my mom and sister told me it would look terrible :eek: .

angie10

HoneyDew said:

HoneyDew can you give me your exact recipe for the henna and cassia mixture. I might want to try that please, and do you use this before or after relaxer? How often?

angie10

OneInAMillion said:
Yes...and the hair color too. I like my natural color as well, and I feel like I'm just getting it back since I got rid of all that overprocessed relaxer hair (which was some strange orange nonsense). I'm just not too keen on the idea of having to permantly change my color. Though, that auburn looks sooooooooo pretty on some people. I'm just not sure it would suit me as well.

And if it didn't look nice.....boy I know ppl would tell me about myself :lol: ! I wanted to get a black rinse, and my mom and sister told me it would look terrible :eek: .

:lol: I think I look good with the black color, I just don't want it to be permanent. Black is a healthy looking color for hair, but can also make you look older. I might try what honeydew suggested, since it doesn't change your natural color much:D

MonaLisa

Carla From VA said:
Today my coworker showed me how her hair is breaking off at the roots, she said its because she has waited 6 weeks to do a touchup and she should only go 4 weeks in between relaxers!:eek: I told her how long I had been stretching and I was trying to go from November to March or April and she said no way could she do that. Her hair is see through, I'm not exaggerating. And if you look at her head from behind, you can see her scalp through her hair. I asked what kinds of deep conditioners was she using, and she said she doesn't know what kind of shampoo/conditioner the stylist uses, but whatever it is, it is never left in any longer than 3 minutes. :eek: :eek: Then I had the audacity to ask what kind of moisturizer she was using....LeKair Super Petroleum....I mean SuperGro!! :eek: :eek: :eek: And she puts a permanent hair color on top of all this, and washes it only every two weeks. So I went into my spiel, and I could see the disinterest in her eyes. I told her about Nexxus Emergencee and how it could stop her hair from breaking and all she wanted to know is how much it costs? Cuz if it more than 10 bucks I'm not getting it!:perplexed I begged her to at least let me braid her up and slap a weave in for the rest of the winter to give her hair a break, I told her I would even GIVE her the hair. But nope she said she plans on getting a head full of finger waves instead, and she uses that hard black gel.

Okay....this hurt me. This story left me with a cyber hair wound.

HoneyDew

angie10 said:
HoneyDew can you give me your exact recipe for the henna and cassia mixture. I might want to try that please, and do you use this before or after relaxer? How often?

I don't really use henna anymore because I hate the mess. I just used it because I bought it and did not want to waste my money. I just use cassia powder or just store brand henna products that are labeled as neutral (i.e surya powder, light mountain henna neutral, etc.). Some people don't like these, but they work just as well as the henna that I used for about a month.

I have a 1 oz scoop and I use about 3 of those scoops of the powder, 1 cup (about 6 oz.) of plain yogurt, about 2 oz. of boiling water, some oil (I am using amla right now and I don't measure it. I just pour some in).

I use it weekly of every other week if I am busy. I try not to go more than 2 weeks, although I am sure I don't need to do it that often. I just like the treatments. I am relaxed and I do this treatment every week except relaxer week.

I used to put it on my wet hair, but I have found that it saves time to do it this way:

-on Saturday or Sunday I put the mixture on my dry hair.
-I put on a plastic cap and sit under the dryer for 20 min.
-Then I workout for 40-60 min with the mixture still on.
-Then I rinse it which is another process:
I rinse as much as possible with plain water. Then I use Johnson's Baby shampoo detangling for 3 sudsings using a detangling comb while the suds are in. If I don't use the comb it does not rinse, as well. Then I use my moisturizinf shampoo for a 4th sudsing. I guess you can skip that step. I just do that because my Roux Porsity Control shampoo makes my hair feel so good.​
-Then I apply some Motions Moisture plus and sit under the dryer with a plastic cap for 20 min.
-After that is rinsed, I style as usual. I thought my hair was dry after the 1st time I tried it, but it was not. It was just stronger. I never had any dryness problems.

HighlyFavored1

LocksOfLuV said:
Awwww! I can SO relate to this. It is like I wrote this post myself. Please don't fall under the pressure. And if your stylist wants to trim you, tell her/him no, GO HOME first, access the damage and then come back to trim some other time.

But I feel you so much. I felt like that and I still feel like that. Like because my hair has never been "long" before it is fragile, too good to be true, and will fall out.:cool:

I'm glad someone else understands this fear of mine. I won't fall under the pressure though...the LHCF Bootcamp has banned me from trimming anyhow :eek:

Tsmith--I'll try my best to stop thinking about losing all my progress...*happy hair thoughts...happy hair thoughts*

Random hair thoughts?

Shrinkage sucks. I'm at 9 weeks post, and my hair is drawn up like you wouldn't believe. I see NO progress over here. My goal is APL by spring, right? Then why is my hair is creeping closer and closer to shoulder length!!! :mad:

alexei

I should be doing schoolwork.
I come to LHCF alot when I get frustrated with whatever I am doing in the real world.
Confession - I often come looking for the latest hair growth craze...that doesn't stink :look:
And inspiration for continuing on my hair journey.
Ahhh, I love this place :D
Ok, back to schoolwork (yeh right :cool: )

The Girl

I am only on page 5 but Ladies they are having those Last chance sales at the Walgreens here. I got some Got2B mender for 3 bucks, some Herbal Essence Breaks Over for 3 bucks and lastly some Neutrogena Triple Moisture Serum for 3.50. I am such a PJ. I got home and read the ingredients. I am going back tomorrow

asiaticlily

bellesocialite said:
I have come to realize that I am so impatient. I can't wait to see the fruits of my labor with my hair. I understand watching a pot never boils (or however it goes) but waiting is so HARD.

I am having the same problem. Grow hair grow :lol:

The Girl

delta_gyrl said:
I'm annoyed at the condition of the black girls' hair at my school. I'm checking heads for lice and most of the puerto rican, dominican, biracial and white girls have very healthy, long, thick, nice smelling hair. Almost ALL of the little black girls have broken, thin, stringy, dry, dirty and damaged hair...... They look embarrassed. I feel bad for them.

I'm wondering why one little girls mom put a weave in her 6 year old's hair.:eek:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :(

The Girl

Treasure2k6 said:
I'm sick of seeing my people (black female) hair look thirsty! Man....now that I have been trying to tighten up my hair. I have secret thoughts of everyones hair I see out in public!!
don't you just wanna spray or slap some moisturizer on it?

The Girl

oobrittany said:
Kroger has a lot of Hair/Beauty stuff on clearance... I got Nexxus Emergencee for 5.99. I also saw the Dove Leave-In Mist for 1.59, Thermasilk poos/cons for like 1.60, Suave Milk and Honey Con for .59, and a bunch of other stuff so yall might want to go check it out ;)
nooo the PJ in me is screaming "Put your coat on" Must fight the urge