This is one of my reasons for never retaining length....

africanqueen456

Braids...I wore synthetic braids for years and which led me to the forums....I never retained length but I just figured my hair wasnt meant to grow:wallbash:....But now after a year in sew ins I am ready to go back...
My reggie in braids was moisturize daily,dc and wash weekly...and in the synthetic hair I never retained length even with all the advice I found on here...
I am kind of done with sew ins because the hair never last for more than 2 weeks becuase I use cheap bss hair..I dont have a credit card or a job to afford better hair(Im college student)...
So do you guys think I should go back to braids and use human hair or stick to sew ins even though they help me retain length:nono:

p.s. I am transitioning

Have you tried going without the synthetic hair?? This could make things cheaper and easier for you. you could start with cornrows and go from there. I think the problem with braids and relaxed hair is you uderestimate the needs of your hair.

I would suggest you wear twists and save up for better hair. If weaves are working for you, do not change what isn't broken. If all you need is good quality hair that costs more so you can wear it longer, or at least re-use it, then do so.

BTW, I don't know how much you pay for your hair but I bought my sister 2 packs of human hair weave hair from Sally's for $49/pack and she has reused it at least three times (I'll have to ask her how many months that's been). She's in Kenya and just like me does not use hair just once. So you don't have to spend a lot of money, but you do have to have someone that is careful do the install so you can reuse the hair. If you had to redo the hair every two weeks, that money you are spending every 2 weeks to replace the hair can be saved to get hair that can last longer.

if you are going for micros or individual braids I say go for human hair, cornrows synthetic hair and for weaves it's better to get good human hair not from the bss (maybe the more expensive brands are better).
Like Nonie said if the weaves were working for you, then don't stop but try to save some money to get a better weave hair.

OP I had this problem too. I was in braids and weaves for the longest time and I thought it was great because I was protective styling :nono:. My hair became thin and damaged( I had coloured aswell).
It's been 6-7 weeks since I've given up braids and weaves, I cowash daily and I am finding the products that work for MY hair. I found out that I had a porosity issue, and that my hair loves moisture and the occasional protein treatment, the condition of my hair is getting better as the days and weeks go by.
I'm also a college student so I understand, I just got a job so my PJism is going to kick in again.
I say ditch the weaves and braids, try cowashing and bunning. If you don't have the length or don't like the style try half wigs, they are amazing! In the autumn and winter I'll be using full caps with my hair braided underneath, without synthetic hair.
Leave your hair out and you will be surprised how quickly it will turn around because you will be able to give it what it needs.
BTW I am 60% Texlaxed, disregard the siggy.

I wish I knew all that I've learned two years ago when I just joined, I swear my hair would be BSL by now. :ohwell:

I would suggest you wear twists and save up for better hair. If weaves are working for you, do not change what isn't broken. If all you need is good quality hair that costs more so you can wear it longer, or at least re-use it, then do so.

BTW, I don't know how much you pay for your hair but I bought my sister 2 packs of human hair weave hair from Sally's for $49/pack and she has reused it at least three times (I'll have to ask her how many months that's been). She's in Kenya and just like me does not use hair just once. So you don't have to spend a lot of money, but you do have to have someone that is careful do the install so you can reuse the hair. If you had to redo the hair every two weeks, that money you are spending every 2 weeks to replace the hair can be saved to get hair that can last longer.
Yes thats true.... Nonie what was the brand?
and so you guys have any suggestions for better hair...I usually spend about $34 a pack for it to last like 2 weeks(I keep it in for five).... I have heard about Bobbi Boss and Goddess Remi...

if you are going for micros or individual braids I say go for human hair, cornrows synthetic hair and for weaves it's better to get good human hair not from the bss (maybe the more expensive brands are better).
Like Nonie said if the weaves were working for you, then don't stop but try to save some money to get a better weave hair.

even the synthetic hair cut my real hair....and I wash moisturized ect.. and Kimmy that is a great idea but I dont really like wigs anymore...I cant keep up while I am in school...

Yes thats true.... Nonie what was the brand?
and so you guys have any suggestions for better hair...I usually spend about $34 a pack for it to last like 2 weeks(I keep it in for five).... I have heard about Bobbi Boss and Goddess Remi...

Oh wow, I haven't got the foggiest idea. :lol: I have never paid attention to which hair I get. I have always just paid attention to length and the words 100% human hair. I only happen to know that I used Beverly Johnson for my own braids in 2007 because when I told someone I was about to braid my hair, she asked what brand I used so I looked. I will ask my sis, in case she made note of it. Just sent her a text message.

Last edited:
Love my sis! That was quick. She just called me after she got my text and said she used Sassy and has used it 4 times wearing the weave for a month each time. She said she trims it each time she uses so it's always shorter and while it's thinned a bit, it's not noticeably so.

Do you have pics of your hair. I'd like to see if there's anything you do do without weaves or braids.

I’ve grown my hair using synthetic hair and didn’t experience any problems. I'm currently rocking individual braids again and I use synthetic hair. It might have something to do with how the hair is being braided. What I do is take two strands of synthetic hair and one strand my hair and braid, I don't mix my hair into the synthetic hair, I hope that makes sense. I also use Profectiv Healthy Ends and/or any Profectiv product on each braid before braiding.

I rebraid every 6 weeks and wash every 2 weeks. I don't condition because I'm afraid the conditioner building up on my scalp but I do use the jerry curl hair spray, I forgot the name right now, weekly.

Just like Missey, I have grown my hair with syntheic hair, BUT I do dc with heat everytime I take them down. Before LHCF I didn't retain even though I wore braids, the differance is that I wouldn't dc, most of the days I didn't moisturize at all. Not to mention I wasn't gentle while taking them out, just pull on knots or better yet comb them out.

Currently I have been in braids for a long time (4mo), which is something I don't usually do . But due to personal setbacks, I have not been caring for myself like I should. Hopefully since my hair was healthy prior to this set of braids, I won't loose to much.

I agree with Nonie, since waves are working, you may want to stick with them.
Good luck, hhg.

and this a pic from april
6z28id.jpg
...I havent been able to make a crown ponytail for the past 10 years do to bad haircare practices and still can not.That is the reason I wear sew ins also;to grow out my crown...

Last edited:
I’ve grown my hair using synthetic hair and didn’t experience any problems. I'm currently rocking individual braids again and I use synthetic hair. It might have something to do with how the hair is being braided. What I do is take two strands of synthetic hair and one strand my hair and braid, I don't mix my hair into the synthetic hair, I hope that makes sense. I also use Profectiv Healthy Ends and/or any Profectiv product on each braid before braiding.

I rebraid every 6 weeks and wash every 2 weeks. I don't condition because I'm afraid the conditioner building up on my scalp but I do use the jerry curl hair spray, I forgot the name right now, weekly.
Nah Im not to sure I get it

Braids...I wore synthetic braids for years and which led me to the forums....I never retained length but I just figured my hair wasnt meant to grow:wallbash:....But now after a year in sew ins I am ready to go back...
My reggie in braids was moisturize daily,dc and wash weekly...and in the synthetic hair I never retained length even with all the advice I found on here...
I am kind of done with sew ins because the hair never last for more than 2 weeks becuase I use cheap bss hair..I dont have a credit card or a job to afford better hair(Im college student)...
So do you guys think I should go back to braids and use human hair or stick to sew ins even though they help me retain length:nono:

p.s. I am transitioning

Don't fall into the expensive hair trap - especially if money is an issue. There is way too much trickery going on in the hair trade to assume you're getting better hair just coz someone is charging you more money - especially online where you can't see the product before you buy it. And you'll find that most vendors have very unforgiving return policies which means no one is standing behind their product.

IMO any reasonably priced bss brand will work fine. I like to buy one pack, bring it home and test it (wash it, heat test it, etc.) then then if it's good i'll go back for more. It's not the hair - its the install technique and also how you care for the extension hair and for your own hair that counts.

And when you take your hair down ... detangle carefully. It defeats the purpose of protective styling if you tear our your progress everytime you take down a style.

p.s. I am transitioning

What about half wigs? You can cornrow your hair underneath (no hair added). It's a great protective style and inexpensive - around $20 or so.

Info and pics here:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=425568&highlight=half+wigs

Last edited:
^^^^^What She said :yep: Half Wigs are the best girl. BTW, Synthetic braiding hair is drying to natural hair, so I'm not surprised if it stunted your length retention. Can you get any human braid in hair??

You right...Can go into more detail with your testing? Also what do you consider reasonably priced?

I believe I take of it well. I wash every two weeks...and apply a serum daily to seal the cuticles.moisturize my real hair often...
I always thought you can get good quality hair and not spend a lot of money...I have a friend who wear install for months and the hair she buys cost maybe 30 or 40 dollars...

what do you mean? Braiding my natural hair....It too short....It is only shoulder length

Your hair is not to short to braid. Maybe you should give the weaves and braided hair a rest for a minute. You can always wear twist-outs or braid-outs until you are ready to cut off those relaxed ends. Try using small cold wave rods on the ends to help the straight pieces blend in with your natural texture.

I grew out my hair using braids (both synthetic and human) when I joined the forum. BUT I found because I was soo used to my hair in braids/ full weaves I didn't know HOW to deal with my own hair, it caused me some setbacks cause I would go texlaxed and back to try to manage my hair :nono:

I think SL is long enough to be able to style your own hair, you can do twists, or single plaits if you don't want it left out. Twisted/out updos etc.

I currently do a fro hawk style, cornrowing my sides to form the mohawk and flat twisting the middle, I alternate with flatironing every 2 weeks- works for me.

A fashion slave I do try braidout and twistout...with the shrinkage my apl hair shrunk to neck length.Im sorry Im not comfortable with my hair out it is so short.I want to try to twists on my real hair but Im afraid it will be to short to be bun and put in updos...Honestly Im going to try the braids and see because at this point in my transition I am kind of fustrated...:wallbash:

OP have you thought about trying wigs? If whole wigs weird you out, a half wig may work. It will give you a protective style but still allow you access to your hair. You can buy some nice synthetic ones for $20. Human will cost more. I typically bought synthetic when I wore wigs because they held up longer for me than the human ones. I wore them a lot in college.

I probably will go back to wigs...The good news is I retained about an inch of growth with my micros !(I had sew in the back ,micros in the front).And that was only in 5 weeks...Im surprised.The bad news is I dont have pics...Thankx for all your help. I think Im going to either get crochet braids or go back to wigs for the summer...

Back