This air drying method makes sense...

northernbelle

As I embarked on my first air drying experience this evening, I thought of my mother, and the way she does her own hair.

My mother's hair is natural. She washes and conditions, then plaits her hair into several sections. When the hair is partially dry, i.e. damp, but not sopping wet, my mother will press her hair with a warm straightening comb. When she is finished with the initial press, she will apply grease to the scalp, brush through, and then run the warm straightening comb again through the hair to make it nice and pressed.

I know -the grease thing - well, Mommy is not convinced.

Anyway, my mother has beautiful hair. It is soft, shiny, and shoulder-length. In fact, until the time I received my first relaxer at age 22, my mother styled my hair in the same manner.

So, all of this to say: air drying helps to keep the hair healthier.

I will let you know how my hair turns out. It is still air drying.

northernbelle

Wow, I never heard of doing this. But you know mama sometimes knows best. Let us know how it turns out.

[ QUOTE ]
queeny20 said:
Wow, I never heard of doing this. But you know mama sometimes knows best. Let us know how it turns out.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mother discovered that when she allowed her hair to dry completely, she would lose more hair during the pressing process. Thus the reason why folks typically apply a grease to the hair - to soften it - and then press. However, doing this can be painful. Think about it: grease on the scalp combined with heat = potential burning.

On the other hand, pressing the hair while still slightly damp keeps moisture in the hair. It is almost like a steam treatment.

I don't press my hair. I am not that skilled.
laugh.gif
I have a relaxer.

northernbelle

But isn't the hair weaker when it's wet? Heat AND PULLING and WET hair....oy! My hair would never survive it. But her being natural might be the key. Her hair is probably stronger than relaxed hair and can stand more wet manipulation...

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
But isn't the hair weaker when it's wet? Heat AND PULLING and WET hair....oy! My hair would never survive it. But her being natural might be the key. Her hair is probably stronger than relaxed hair and can stand more wet manipulation...

[/ QUOTE ]

But the hair is not *wet*. It is damp. Think of it as a partial air dry.

Anyway, her hair is beautiful, as a result. She's living proof.

northernbelle

Hi Northernbelle,

That is exactly the way my mom used to do my hair when I was younger! I have also heard recently that when drying hair, you should only partially dry it before using a curler or other heating appliance because it is less damaging to the hair. Don't know if it's true, but I read it somewhere.

I guess moms do know best!

[ QUOTE ]
My mother discovered that when she allowed her hair to dry completely, she would lose more hair...

[/ QUOTE ]
This is why I'm so hesitant to allow my hair to dry completely naturally. Right now I do half airdry, and then blow dry when it's just slightly damp. Yeah, I know...the evil blow dryer.
frown.gif
But I'd love an airdry technique I could do for my hair that won't leave my hair so hard to manage when it's time to comb out and style. Coarse hair is a nightmare!

Looking forward to hearing your results.

~ Dee

I think that if one needs to blow out the ends and/or roots a bit in order to achieve greater manageability, then I believe it is better to do so when the hair still contains some degree of moisture, i.e. blow out the ends or the roots while the hair is still somewhat damp, as opposed to allowing the hair to dry completely.

I do not believe that heat on the hair in and of itself is detrimental. I do, however, believe that heat used in moderation and with the proper heat protectants, is the best way to go.

I myself am trying to wean myself rom heat overload, i.e. hood dryer to blow dryer (for roots) and flat iron (for the hair shaft).

All told, my hair did look much healthier and fuller with the air dry. I simply plan to experiment with different gradations of the air dry method to determine what works best for my hair.

northernbelle

Back