Thinking about going to Cosmetology School....

RabiaElaine

Hi Ladies,

I know I have told some of you in the past that I'm thinking about opening my own salon and spa at some point, because beauty is my passion. I realize that I need to start making steps toward that now. Do any of you have any recommendations on beauty schools to go to? Also any that specialize in African American hair would be great. BTW I live in New York.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rabia :)

LiLi

Well I live upstate so I'm not sure about any other schools. However, my suggestion would be to just get your license and then go to the teaching classes that different companies have to learn how to use the products that they sell. Avlon has classes like this all the time and also professional beauty supply distributors like Ace Beauty Systems give out a list of classes in your area. I plan on going to cosmetology school in September (been putting it off for a year and I could've been done now) and I was told not to worry about what they teach me; just focus on learning everything in order to pass the testing.

balisi

I know Empire has cosmetology schools in New York. I believe there is one in Brooklyn and another in Manhattan.

hairmaster

LiLi said:
Well I live upstate so I'm not sure about any other schools. However, my suggestion would be to just get your license and then go to the teaching classes that different companies have to learn how to use the products that they sell. Avlon has classes like this all the time and also professional beauty supply distributors like Ace Beauty Systems give out a list of classes in your area. I plan on going to cosmetology school in September (been putting it off for a year and I could've been done now) and I was told not to worry about what they teach me; just focus on learning everything in order to pass the testing.
I would like to know how many hours you have to have before taking board test.get ahold of the state rules /laws book before signing-up for school, The state laws may help you decide if you want to take classes. If you have the money to open a Salon/Spa, you can in most cases but not be able to work on peoples hair, The owners and state make more money than the stylist.

balisi

hairmaster said:
I would like to know how many hours you have to have before taking board test.get ahold of the state rules /laws book before signing-up for school, The state laws may help you decide if you want to take classes. If you have the money to open a Salon/Spa, you can in most cases but not be able to work on peoples hair, The owners and state make more money than the stylist.
Is it wise to own/manage a salon without being knowledgeable about cosmetology, including sanitation? I would think you'd leave yourself vulnerable to unscrupulous customers and stylists if they know more than you do.

RabiaElaine

Regarding the hours question... you have to do 1000 hours of classwork combined with salon work before taking the state exam in New York.