Think I gave myself a setback :( (LOOOONG)

VirtuousBeauty

Ok I relaxed my hair last night and when I was almost done my back area started to burn a little. So I hurried up and finished up the front and it started burning a lot. Which is surprising because i've never burned that seriously or quickly before when I got relaxers in the salon. (never burned period when i started self relaxing). The burning turned extreme very fast.

So I washed out the relaxer and washed with my neutralizing shampoo i'd say about 3-5 times since it was taking longer this time for the suds to turn white. Use my Porosity control and then deep conditioned with no heat for 30 minutes using my Aubrey Organics White Camelia conditioner. Once I rinsed it out the back area that was burning before stung a little bit which worried me.

So i decided to try a braidout and not use any heat from blowdrying etc. because I was afraid of how my scalp would feel. My hair is out now and where it was burning my hair seems to be hard. Only at the part close to the scalp.

It's a small section in the back of my head on the left side. Some of the hair thats close to the scalp in that section is a little hard and clumped together it seems and laying on my scalp like I gelled it there. I didn't try to lift it because I wasn't sure if I'd mess up my scalp trying to heal in that area.

So yea i'm a bit upset right now because I really dont want to wait for my hair to grow just so I can chop it off because of my own carelessness.

*Interesting points*
Hair doesn't seem overprocessed in the front. My hair straightened faster than it did before. Does the fast that I clarified the weekend before and started using porosity control weekly as of 2 weeks ago have anything to do with this? I've never clarified in my life before and figured it'd be good to do considering all i've put in my hair before my hair journey. This is my first time relaxing after clarifying and using porosity control to get my Ph balanced.

Thinking back on things I scratched myself a couple times in that area when I parted my hair to apply relaxer. There were also traces of relaxer on what i used to part since i parted my whole head with it. Maybe I was rubbing relaxer on scratched skin?

I've had no shedding or breakage so far surprisingly. Is there a way to get the hair to loosen up and not be stuck together in that area? Sorry for this incredibly long post wanted to be as detailed as possible

Honi

There is no board.
You have a scalp burn. The oozing from your scalp is almost like glue that sticks the hair together and to the scalp. I've been there once. :look:

I suggest to not manipulate it and leave it alone. Don't comb or brush it either. It will break your hair. Nurse your scalp back to health which is most important with some Neosporin ointment. It will loosen up on it's own especially after you begin washing your hair again and fall off when it's healed.

Last edited:

Mareeღ

It sounds like your scalp just has burns on it and has scabbed. I wouldn't try to loosen the hair, just let it be and it will heal on it's own and when you wash it will loosen up over time. To soothe the area try applying some vitamin e oil around the burn area.

hopeful

I don't think it was anything you did. I think you had an allergic reaction to the relaxer or something was off with the relaxer. It sounds like you had all of your ducks in a row to me.

Prudent1

ITA w/ Honi,
You can prob use whatever oil you would use as a sealer applied to your scalp in a couple of days but for right now, stick to the Neosporin. This condition should not last for more than 3 to 5 days max. I would say you should be able to see improvement in a day or two.

MsBoinglicious

OMG I agree with the ladies that posted it’s a scalp burn. I remember when I use to relax and burn myself the scalp oozes clear stuff and it makes the hair stick to your hair like gel. Yep! Wow it feels like ages since I relaxed but I do remember that happening to my on my side by the temple/ear area.

I know some put Neosporin burn gel/cream on it. Well that’s what I read on here once before and it has helped them heal.

indarican

definetly a scalp burn, i used to get those on a regular basis when my aunt would give me a relaxer... took them to long to figure out i didnt need super strength.:nono::nono::nono:

lilwomen20010

yeah that happen to me.. I was thinking the samething what did I do differently... I use reg strength I think next time I relax I will use mild..

what I did I did not comb that area I added oils to my hair and scalp to lossen it up then I co-wash and just kept oiling my scalp.. and it workout a okay..

MsLizziA

You def have a scab. Im not relaxed but i used to be so i know how that feels. It hurts to pull the hair from unmatting because it has gotten caught under the part of the scalp that's tryna regenerate.

Mook's hair

If it oozes, then gently press or dab it with a papertowel to absorb some of the juice. That's just the healing process. otherwise don't mess with it, it'll heal up and flake off on its own.

VirtuousBeauty

Checked the relaxer that I had used today and apparently it expired in January. From now on I'll have to check the date on any relaxer i get from a BSS

Fine 4s

Scalp burn. Remember them all too well...
Off topic- after a chemical service, you don't need to sit under the hairdryer when you DC as the cuticles are already raised from the relaxer. That's too much 'rasing' for one day...

VirtuousBeauty

Scalp burn. Remember them all too well...
Off topic- after a chemical service, you don't need to sit under the hairdryer when you DC as the cuticles are already raised from the relaxer. That's too much 'rasing' for one day...

No worries as I don't have one lol. I wanted to buy one, but now I think less heat for my hair is better. I didn't use heat when I DC'd

asubeauty

I agree with the other ladies: definitely scalp burn. I used to get them EVERY TIME I relaxed, which is one reason why I'm transitioning.