May have a major setback....help please!!!!

trendsetta25

I'm at the hair salon and I may have caused a setback. I got a relaxer from my stylist and mentioned that I scratched my scalp a little before I sat in her chair. She then based my scalp and proceeded to relax my hair with the Affirm relaxer. Before I knew it, the relaxer started to tingle. I thought it was because I scratched that area and ignored the warning signs. About one minute later it started to tingle by my temple. Again I ignored it...a few seconds later my whole head started to burn and I mentioned that it was burning, she said "already?" Then told me to give her a min. Then the burns became so extreme I started to shake and cry. It felt like my scalp was being scraped with a razor blade. I told her that I couldn't take it anymore and we went to go wash it out. While she was washing it out, the burns became so intense....the only thing I could think was that my hair is going to fall out straight from the scalp. She then washed my hair about 6 times to make sure that the relaxer was completely washed out.
While she was washing my hair she asked if I put anything in my hair before I relaxed it and then it dawned on me that I put the BT oil in my hair last saturday (which was probably the cause of the burning). I asked her if she could DC my hair and that's what I'm doing now.

Will I have a setback from this? This burn was too intense...how can I nurse my hair back to health? Oh God...please don't let me have a setback!!!!! It took 19 months to go from SL to APL.

Any suggestions on how I can stop a setback from happening????

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
I think you'll be fine. I've had horrible burns but managed to keep my hair. Just worry about tending to your scalp for now.

OrangeMoon

If you are talking about BT=Boundless Tresses it contains sulfur. I believe since you applied BT you should have ceased usage the week prior to and as an extra precaution washed your hair to remove the sulfur from your scalp and oiled your scalp with a different oil.

This happened to me a few months ago...you're hair will be fine but your scalp will be sore for days....get some 100% aloe vera gel and apply it to your scalp asap.

The BT did it, the sulphur does this I used MTG and that caused me to burn, and the monostat cream does this as well...trust me I know I have been burned by both! And I also know that your hair will be fine...maybe underprocessed but that's ok and I would not recommend doing a corrective any sooner than your nomal relax time.

You will be fine...just nurse your aching scalp :)

trendsetta25

This happened to me a few months ago...you're hair will be fine but your scalp will be sore for days....get some 100% aloe vera gel and apply it to your scalp asap.

The BT did it, the sulphur does this I used MTG and that caused me to burn, and the monostat cream does this as well...trust me I know I have been burned by both! And I also know that your hair will be fine...maybe underprocessed but that's ok and I would not recommend doing a corrective any sooner than your nomal relax time.

You will be fine...just nurse your aching scalp :)

Thanxs....that's what I was thinking of doing. I have some aloe gel at home. Omg when they rinsed the DC out I thought I was going to pass out from the pain. I don't plan on doing a corrective anytime soon though. After this I was going to put a weave in (in about 3 weeks) for the fall/ winter.

Should I do some sort of protein treatment?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Yes.:yep:

I stop using anything like that at least 2 weeks before Relaxing. For me, that also includes Mega-Tek.

Just to be on the Safe side.

Thanxs....that's what I was thinking of doing. I have some aloe gel at home. Omg when they rinsed the DC out I thought I was going to pass out from the pain. I don't plan on doing a corrective anytime soon though. After this I was going to put a weave in (in about 3 weeks) for the fall/ winter.

Should I do some sort of protein treatment?

You can use a light protein, like ORS Replinishing Con, that wouldn't hurt.
Little to no manipulation for a while will be good...

When this happened to me it burned so bad that I did'nt rinse all the relaxer out, it felt like my head was literally on fire, I used cold water and the water was burning my scalp...

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
You can use a light protein, like ORS Replinishing Con, that wouldn't hurt.
Little to no manipulation for a while will be good...

When this happened to me it burned so bad that I did'nt rinse all the relaxer out, it felt like my head was literally on fire, I used cold water and the water was burning my scalp...

WOW!:nono:

ITA: about the light protein treatment.

OP: My next wash day, I would probably re-neutralize my hair (if you have some neutralizing shampoo at home). Especially since you had her rinse it out early and she was concerned about how bad you were burning. (I know you said she 'poo'ed you like 6 times).

I've recently made it a 'habit' to do this the 1st wash post. *Thanks Brownie518:grin:* Just as a precautionary measure. (But I self relax). And I use Nutrine Garlic Conditioner as my Co-Washer for like the first 3-4 weeks post.:yep:

Prayerfully, you'll be fine. You may also want to apply some Neosporin to those areas.

brittle_hair

Sorry to hear your hair burned so badly. I've been driven to tears by relaxer burns too! You should be ok as long as you keep your scalp well oiled and don't pick at the hair that gets stuck to the scabs.

sqzbly1908

WOW!:nono:

ITA: about the light protein treatment.

OP: My next wash day, I would probably re-neutralize my hair (if you have some neutralizing shampoo at home). Especially since you had her rinse it out early and she was concerned about how bad you were burning. (I know you said she 'poo'ed you like 6 times).

I've recently made it a 'habit' to do this the 1st wash post. *Thanks Brownie518:grin:* Just as a precautionary measure. (But I self relax). And I use Nutrine Garlic Conditioner as my Co-Washer for like the first 3-4 weeks post.:yep:

Prayerfully, you'll be fine. You may also want to apply some Neosporin to those areas.

ITA....it safe to say that you will have some scabbing...in the meantime aloe vera gel, moisturizing condish, neosporin should soothe your scalp as your scalp starts to heal...

trendsetta25

(Hugs) omg thanks guys...I'm still @ the salon waiting to get my hair flat ironed and trimmed. I'll post my results on monday.

flowinlocks

I'm at the hair salon and I may have caused a setback. I got a relaxer from my stylist and mentioned that I scratched my scalp a little before I sat in her chair. She then based my scalp and proceeded to relax my hair with the Affirm relaxer. Before I knew it, the relaxer started to tingle. I thought it was because I scratched that area and ignored the warning signs. About one minute later it started to tingle by my temple. Again I ignored it...a few seconds later my whole head started to burn and I mentioned that it was burning, she said "already?" Then told me to give her a min. Then the burns became so extreme I started to shake and cry. It felt like my scalp was being scraped with a razor blade. I told her that I couldn't take it anymore and we went to go wash it out. While she was washing it out, the burns became so intense....the only thing I could think was that my hair is going to fall out straight from the scalp. She then washed my hair about 6 times to make sure that the relaxer was completely washed out.
While she was washing my hair she asked if I put anything in my hair before I relaxed it and then it dawned on me that I put the BT oil in my hair last saturday (which was probably the cause of the burning). I asked her if she could DC my hair and that's what I'm doing now.

Will I have a setback from this? This burn was too intense...how can I nurse my hair back to health? Oh God...please don't let me have a setback!!!!! It took 19 months to go from SL to APL.

I'm so sorry this happened. :bighug: Yes the BT was most likely the culprtit. Which is why I always tell the ladies in the Sulfur challenge to make sure they wash their hair throughly before a relaxer. And wait a week or two after to reapply.

I had the same thing happen to me a few months back. I had terrible burning and some shedding. I did a treatment with motions CPR in the jar. And that did the trick. I didn't lose any hair other than initial shedding.

Just make sure you keep your moisture level up and baby your scalp for the next few days. You should be ok.

Ms Lala

I"m so sorry to hear this. My hair is not relaxed but when it was I recovered from bad burns w/o hair loss. I agree w/using aloe. I would also stay away from styles that put tension on the scalp right now.

trendsetta25

Ladies I picture my hair looking like Myra in the episode of Martin when Gina worked in Sha'Nay Nay's shop to work off the Piston tixs she lost. You know the part when Sha'Nay Nay was like "you forgot to put neutralizer in Myra's hair?!"

When she was about to flat iron it and looked @ my scalp...it was bleeding :-(
I hope I can get it back to health...lesson learned

danysedai

lots of hugs to you, no advice from me but I hope you recover, good thing you spoke up and had her wash it out.Must have been the sulphur,I've used Affirm mild for some time now and the only time it burned was when I washed my hair almost the day before the relaxer :(

HappilyLiberal

I've had the "I forgot to wash the BT out" burn before. I did lose a nickel-sized patch in the back of my head. If you are still burning tomorrow, put some petroleum jelly on the burn and it will heal quickly.

Two year later, the spot is filled in but I do notice that spot grows more slowly than the rest of my hair (it does grow though).

Stella B.

Concentrate on healing the scalp now. Do plenty of oil rinses with coconut oil, and keep oil on your scalp in between shampoos. When this happened to me in the past, I would apply a little grease to the scalp burns to help in the healing process. Just be real gentle with your scalp, and give yourself plenty of time. Your scalp will be sore for a little while, so not too much manipulation for the next few weeks. ((((Hugs))))) to you, I know exactly what you're feeling physically and emotionally, cause me and my sensitve scalp have been there many times before. It will get better!

4bslbound

SORRY TO HEAR THAT, BUT THANKS FOR SHARING.... I USE MTG/MT MIX EVERYDAY, AND THE LAST 2 RELAXERS (TEXLAXED) I DID NOT PUT IN ON MY SCALP AT ALL. ABOUT .25-.5 INCHES OF NG CLOSEST TO THE SCALP DID NOT GET TEXLAXEXED BECAUSE OF THIS BUT I HAD NO BURNING......

SO, HOW DID IT TURN OUT, DEAR?

CA*Nappy

For the next couple of days definitely put some aloe vera gel and hydracortisone on your scalp to heal it faster.