Thin hair on one side

KAddy

am I the only one with this problem?

I got my hair done on saturday and I noticed that my hair is MUCH thinner on the right side than the left.
Interestingly enough, the left side was where I had damage and breakage down to less than an inch of hair from a weave.

I don't know what caused it. I did notice too that I have a section in the front that is thin and there is this section of about an inch long and a half inch wide that is thinner too. I had braids earlier in the year, but I just noticed this. It's very troubling. Also, the thin side is slightly longer than the thicker side too.

What's the deal???

Lorraine

Kaddy, are you my hair twin? I have the same problem. My right side is thinner and grows MUCH slower than the other side. For me it was wrapping. I have to change the direction I wrap every few weeks to avoid stressing one side out too much. Also, when I wear it wet I usually braid it and have to be gentle when I put my hair in pigtails. Can you think of anything (big or small) that you do that may cause stress to one side more so than the other? /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

KAddy

[ QUOTE ]
Kaddy, are you my hair twin? I have the same problem. My right side is thinner and grows MUCH slower than the other side. For me it was wrapping. I have to change the direction I wrap every few weeks to avoid stressing one side out too much. Also, when I wear it wet I usually braid it and have to be gentle when I put my hair in pigtails. Can you think of anything (big or small) that you do that may cause stress to one side more so than the other? /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The wrapping may be it, but I think I recently switched the direction. I think. I can never remember which way I normally wrap it anymore. I do however, more recently anyway, wrap my hair to the right... /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif I am going to think about this more. Maybe I will change up my routine. I'm going to have to anyway since I am 9 wks post relaxer today. So the wrapping will be out if I just do curly rollersets (think Tonya's beautiful mane). I will see what happens. Thanks

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
Mine is the opposite..my hair is thinner on the left side than on the right..but it's been like that as long as I can remember.. I was told it's because that is the side that I sleep on..which it is.. I sleep on a satin pillow and still the same thing..but just not as bad as it was before..

J

JenniferMD

I had this problem too. I think it's stopped b/c I no longer wrap my hair at night and keeping rollers in my hair made it so that sleeping on one particular side doesn't cause thinness either.

foxybronx

That has happened to me also!!! (my right side is thinner than my left) and it used to be the other way around.

I have a new conconction of vitamin E oil, castor oil, WGO, tea tree oil, and rice bran oil that i will be giving myself daily massages with. Let's hope it works!

mytia

SuperWoman!
I have this also my right side is thinner but the weird thing is that this side always grows faster than the left and it's longer but it's all even now due to a big trim a while back. Anywho I'm just paying more attention to my right side, massaging and surging to get this side to match the other side.

KAddy

My mom actually mentioned that my right side might be thinner if I sleep on that side, BUT I sleep on my left side, so that can't be it. I am going to try the stopping of wrapping my hair for a while and just put a scarf on it and see what happens. This is really puzzling me.
I am glad I am not alone though. So ladies, we all are here supporting each other.

SherryLove

[ QUOTE ]
I had this problem too. I think it's stopped b/c I no longer wrap my hair at night and keeping rollers in my hair made it so that sleeping on one particular side doesn't cause thinness either.

[/ QUOTE ] i know this all too well... that wrapping every day/every night thing can take a toll on one's tresses...my hair looks so much thicker now that i no longer wrap it....Kaddy, this may be contributing to the noticeable thinness on one side... /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

KAddy

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] i know this all too well... that wrapping every day/every night thing can take a toll on one's tresses...my hair looks so much thicker now that i no longer wrap it....Kaddy, this may be contributing to the noticeable thinness on one side... /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks SherryLove. I am definitely taking this advice to stop the wrapping. I started last night.

J

JenniferMD

I use sponge rollers but put the roller paper in the middle so my hair won't dry out. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

HOTCHOCOLATE

[ QUOTE ]
Mine is the opposite..my hair is thinner on the left side than on the right..but it's been like that as long as I can remember.. I was told it's because that is the side that I sleep on..which it is.. I sleep on a satin pillow and still the same thing..but just not as bad as it was before..

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
The right side of my hair is thinner than my left side too...but I think it was from Accutane that I took a lil' over a year ago. But my hair has gained much thickness since then, and you can't notice it unless I wear my hair with it parted down the middle. /images/graemlins/weird.gif

atlien

Like OMG!! /images/graemlins/ooo.gif This issue is so my hair...My hair is thin on the right side and thicker on the left but the left side grows slower then the right /images/graemlins/perplexed.gif. I still can not figure out what the problem is??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif. I have cut it bluntly even three times now and it stills grows back the same ole way. I decided to just leave it alone /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

KAddy

I am glad I am not the only one. I just took my work id picture and I just realized the difference in the lengths is noticeable. The right side is an inch or more longer than the left side. My freaking ID pic looks like I have my hair cut in a TILT

I am going to leave it alone for now, but this is crazy