Longer and thicker on one side.

simplyhair

For many years now, my hair has always been longer and thicker on my left side. The length is not as noticeable to others except for me and my stylist. Stylists from the past will even it up and it never fails...the left ends up being at least half an inch longer than the right.

Currently, I can divide the hair down the middle and can actually feel & see the difference in thickness on each side. The left always has more body and movement. Why does this happen?

One stylist suggested that I was sleeping on the right side too much but I beg to differ. I think I sleep on the left side more.

Well, to add more drama, my ends were looking a little frizzy so I clipped them on both sides on Wed. I put my hair up in a bun and messed up the ends on the right side and clipped the right side again. Now, it's uneven by at least 1/2 inch! Yikes
!

Should I just leave it alone, trim up the left side or just let it grow out?

kandyland

The same thing happens to me, My right side is thicker and grows faster than my left side and my hair stylist would always "even it up" cutting off major growth until I told her to stop evening it up...its going to grow uneven regardless. She can even it up once both sides get to my hair goal. And about the relaxer....I don't know about that, reason I say that is my 4 year old daughter has natural hair and I notice the same thing with her, her left side is so much easier to detangle than the right side. The right side is thicker and longer and usually breaks me out in a sweat b4 I'm done.

jellynote

[ QUOTE ]
kandyland said:
The same thing happens to me, My right side is thicker and grows faster than my left side and my hair stylist would always "even it up" cutting off major growth until I told her to stop evening it up...its going to grow uneven regardless. She can even it up once both sides get to my hair goal. And about the relaxer....I don't know about that

[/ QUOTE ]

I notice the same thing. From what I was told it's natural just like one breast is bigger then the other and the knee, leg so on and so forth.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

My leftie is thicker than my rightie-I just leave them alone.

mocha105

I have to definitely agree with jellynote even when both my mom and i were naturals, we had this problem. My mom is still natural and it takes a lot of patience to fix this. what she did was cut the longer and thicker side shorter than the "retarded" side. It didn't even up until almost a year later. We just passed it off as one of those natural things also. HTH

mocha105

I have to definitely agree with jellynote even when both my mom and i were naturals, we had this problem. My mom is still natural and it takes a lot of patience to fix this. what she did was cut the longer and thicker side shorter than the "retarded" side. It didn't even up until almost a year later. We just passed it off as one of those natural things also. HTH

Victorian

old head
[ QUOTE ]
simplyhair said:
For many years now, my hair has always been longer and thicker on my left side. The length is not as noticeable to others except for me and my stylist. Stylists from the past will even it up and it never fails...the left ends up being at least half an inch longer than the right.

Currently, I can divide the hair down the middle and can actually feel & see the difference in thickness on each side. The left always has more body and movement. Why does this happen?

One stylist suggested that I was sleeping on the right side too much but I beg to differ. I think I sleep on the left side more.

Well, to add more drama, my ends were looking a little frizzy so I clipped them on both sides on Wed. I put my hair up in a bun and messed up the ends on the right side and clipped the right side again. Now, it's uneven by at least 1/2 inch! Yikes
!

Should I just leave it alone, trim up the left side or just let it grow out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl, my hair does the exact same thing. It's my left side too. I evened my hair up in August when I was doing a significant trim, and now the left side is longer again. And I've been trying my darndest to treat both sides the same, so I'm convinced that my left side just grows faster. You can't tell since I keep my hair up all the time, but when I have it down, like when I'm airdrying, I can see the difference. It's like 1/4" to 1/2" difference. I'll probably need a trim soon...most likely I'll get one with my next touch up which will be at the end of this month or early next month. I plan on cutting it even...it drives me crazy!

caralexis2005

my left side is thicker and shorter! the right side that is a softer texture breaks off less and shows length more quickly. i've tried numerous things and this was my conclusion.
i just give the right side more tlc and moisture and now they are the same. i just make sure to trim the left long side first and then compare. usually the right side needs less trimmed.

L

legs71

I'm natural and my left side grows longer than my right side.
I thought maybe it was because I unconsciously massage the left side of my head when I'm stressing at work.

luvmyhair

I have the same problem with my hair. I have just learned to accept it because no matter how much I get my hair cut even it still have the same problem.

ms_kenesha

I have the same problem as well my left side is also thicker and longer...hmmm what is it about the left side. Leave it alone and don't cut it & definitely don't let any stylist "even it up" because they'll be impeding your growth and it'll just grow like that all over again. Both my mom and my fiance say I'm the only one who even notices it and it's only because I'm obsessed ...lol

MissMarie23

My right side has always been a bit longer, a a little fuller than my left side.

I recently figured out why: I was always wrapping my hair in the same direction at night, and I put more stress/pressure on the left side, causing it to break.

I stopped wrapping my hair about a month ago, (wearing ponytails covered with a silk scarf instead) and I can already see a positive difference in the left side.