Thin ends...to THICK ends

thiccknlong

ladies,

why is it the longer the hair gets the thinner the ends ?

I think we need a thick ends challenge. That's the WORST impediment to long, thick hair.

What do you guys think ?

We can share tips and learn what makes each other's ends thick !

Radianthealth

How did you get 1 star?

I have the same issue. I try to protect my ends as much as possible. I am also paying special attention to them when I condition. I have fine hair so protein is always good for my hair, I baggy every now and then. Protective styles 24-7 are also good :)

Good Luck!

Last edited:

thiccknlong

trimbride said:
How did you get 1 star?

I have the same issue. I try to protect my ends as much as possible. I am also paying special attention to them when I condition. I have fine hair so protein is always good for my hair, I baggy every now and then. Protective styles 24-7 are also good :)

Good Luck!

lol, girl I don't know. Imma try some things and see what happens. I will have to do some trimming and dusting. I think it's ok as long as you don't clip uneccesary length and protect your ends...

aprilj

I've noticed the same thing going on with my hair and would like to know how to achieve thicker ends also.

Isis

I feel the trick is to keep the ends well moisturized, always. I haven't tried the baggy method but I do apply a good moisturizing conditioner on my ends each morning and evening, in between if necessary. I trimmed for the first time in September but my ends were not thin before that. Moisturizing the ends seem to be the key.

ubavka123

I never have this problem as my hair grows out unless I neglect necessary trims. I find that when I am trying to hold on to extra length and neglecting the trimming of my ends (as needed) then my ends thin out. I am not a proponent of a trimming schedule, but I do feel that for me, the thinning issue is usually resolved with a trim. Instant thick ends! Then be on top of your moisture game in order to hold on to those thicker ends longer, so that you can have less trims...

My hair is such that no matter what I do (and I handle it carefully), my ends eventually need to be trimmed to stay nice and full. I have fine hair.

ETA: co-signing on protein, too, if your hair can take it. Also, texlaxing does wonders for fine hair. My hair has gone from flat to big and bushy (love it :)) as a result of texlaxing!

Last edited:

Naphy

I want thick ends too ^^
Baggying with castor oil seems to be a good solution. And the henna thing too ^^

Babygurl

Long hair does not have to mean thin ends...I successfully grew out my hair without ever having to worry about thin or thinning ends. I didnt trim for 3 years so my secret was keeping them protected. There are many ladies on the forum that grew their hair long and never had thin ends...baby them, they'll make it!

rootdeep

As my hair grows my ends seem to be getting thicker. I baby my ends!! I understand a lot of women bun but sometimes you really arent treating the ends like the sweet baby that they are...:D When I do a protective style I moisturize my ends HEAVILY and before I put on a fake bun or phony pony I hide my ends under either wrapping sheets or a baggie. I also have a mix that I've been using with my essential oils/Garnier Long & Strong and 1mg Biotin pills that I didnt want to throw out that I use on my ends before tying my hair up for the night. My stylist is even amazed at how full my hair and my ends are getting.

Hope this helps...

The Girl

rootdeep said:
As my hair grows my ends seem to be getting thicker. I baby my ends!! I understand a lot of women bun but sometimes you really arent treating the ends like the sweet baby that they are...:D When I do a protective style I moisturize my ends HEAVILY and before I put on a fake bun or phony pony I hide my ends under either wrapping sheets or a baggie. I also have a mix that I've been using with my essential oils/Garnier Long & Strong and 1mg Biotin pills that I didnt want to throw out that I use on my ends before tying my hair up for the night. My stylist is even amazed at how full my hair and my ends are getting.

Hope this helps...
I found some Biotin pills and the crusher I bought so I am going to try this. How much do you use?
I know, I know I rarely measure too but its worth a try

The Girl

rootdeep said:

Hope this helps...
I found some Biotin pills and the crusher I bought so I am going to try this. What mg is your biotin and how much do you use?

BklynHeart

With my old hairstylist, she would 'dust' my ends after every relaxer. I retained length, yet my ends stayed thick.

rootdeep

I started off by crushing around 10 pills into the actual bottle....and thats fine but now I crush a pill a night ....place that in the palm of my hand...add the oil and work it into my ends.

JustMeSteph said:
I found some Biotin pills and the crusher I bought so I am going to try this. What mg is your biotin and how much do you use?

InnerSoul

I think the trick to thick ends is like someone posted earlier... keep them babied and moisturized.. my ends seem to love being wet, moisturized and then sealed with oils!!

thiccknlong

bump bump

baggying and bunning don't always

what keeps you from having thick ends ?

if u wait too long for a perm , the breakage adds up...i have to find a bal b/t stretching and not breaking...

tangles....the degree tangled = the degree of breakage

Dee Raven

I think everyone's hair is different. Once I got over my fear of trimming and learned how to take care of my hair (while I was relaxed, now I'm relearning as a natural) I would trim my ends every six months, and my hair would grow out exactly in the same shape that I had originally cut it and my ends didn't thin.

locabouthair

My ends are extremely thin. I think it's due to slacking on trims, and overlapping/overprocessing, because I have been religious with moisturizing. I know it's going to cost me length but I am going to trim off 1/2 inch every month. i cant stand thin ends.