Thicker Hair

seymone

Can anyone recommend a regime that would make my hair thicker? I have 4a/b hair.. I feel as though my hair is strong but it is just thin.. I will keep my hair braided until July 07 and i would like products that I can use while my hair is braided. Thanks in advance.

longhairluva

Try to stretch your relaxers out. I use castor oil and it seems as it is helping. I know the experts are gonna come and here and give you some good advice. Welcome to the board.:D

Isis

Welcome! Drinking 2 ounces of 100% carrot juice daily will thicken hair or you can take vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid).:)

KiniKakes

Biotin and MTG have helped thicken my hair. Also, stretching my relaxers, eliminating daily combing, and eliminating nightly wrapping has helped as well. I only use a mild relaxer now.... years ago i was using regular. *smh* Big mistake. My hair never needed a regular relaxer to get straight.

I also snack on mini carrots almost daily, and Im thinking that may have helped as well.

I have VERY fine, thin hair with few follicles/strands.... but my hair has thickened up substantially in the last year! I sometimes look at my hair in the mirror and cant believe its mine. :lol: Its really come full circle.

carameldiva

Henna ( made my hair much thicker than it was)
Castor oil ( great thickener)
Vitamin e oil( works just like castor oil)

Products that you can use while your hair is braided: Infusium 23, s-curl ( or a water/glycerin mix), M-T-G or a M-T-G replica(oil mix with sulfur)

HTH

Last edited:

seymone

Thanks so much... I will try the carrot juice... I am waiting for my B vitamin complex... Let see what happens.

BrownSkin2

Hello, and welcome. I'm still a newbie as well, but adding rosemary oil to your conditioners has helped me, and taking beta carotene capsules (vitamin A). Good luck.

Keen

Before Henna, here is what worked for me. I've only used Henna once so the jury is still out on that one.

During the summer, I washed my hair twice a week, so this was by twice a week regimen. Now I seem to be washing once a week. I soak my hair with castor oil the night before I wash. Even with all that oil, I still only shampoo once a month. I used my regular conditioners to co-wash. Every other weekend I would deep condition. After rinsing my conditioner, I sprayed with Ojon hair thickening spray. I used no other leave in. Once my hair air dried, I used the Ojon restorative hair treatment (this is recommended to be used a prepoo but I wanted it on my hair for a long time). I've been doing this since June 06. It works like a charm. I never thought it would when I started but it made great difference.

I'm still using the same regimen, I will just add a henna treatment bi-weekly.

HTH. Good luck and thanks to all the ladies who PMd me with great suggestions.

KiniKakes said:
Biotin and MTG have helped thicken my hair. Also, stretching my relaxers, eliminating daily combing, and eliminating nightly wrapping has helped as well. I only use a mild relaxer now.... years ago i was using regular. *smh* Big mistake. My hair never needed a regular relaxer to get straight.

I also snack on mini carrots almost daily, and Im thinking that may have helped as well.

I have VERY fine, thin hair with few follicles/strands.... but my hair has thickened up substantially in the last year! I sometimes look at my hair in the mirror and cant believe its mine. :lol: Its really come full circle.

I just looked at your fokti. My hair is thin like yours used to be. You are really giving me some hope here! Your hair looks great by the way. :) I just started taking Biotin and using homemade MTG and black castor oil. Gotta try the carrots because my hair is ridiculous. I just reached APL but my hair is so thin, I never wear it down. I can't use regular relaxers either, they're too strong. What brand relaxer do you use?

ashiah

For my first year at LHCF, my goal has been thicker hair and I finally acheived that last week when I finally chopped off two inches of overrelaxed, thin hair. :grin:

This is what worked for me:
-Stretching relaxers
-Being texturized (this was by accident, but now I love the way it looks)
-Henna (it's unfortunately time consuming and messy, but it does work)
-This one is a little weird, but....dying it black with indigo. I don't know what it is about black hair, but it looks healthier and thicker than it did when it was brown.

As far as the other methods mentioned:
-Carrot juice - this really does work, but the thickness usually goes away as soon as you stop drinking the juice. So, unless you REALLY love carrots, then go for it.
-B-complex vitamins - this did nothing for me. I've since cut it out of my regimen and replaced it with Silica.
-Black castor oil - Works a little, but kind of stinks and sits on top of the hair instead of being absorbed.

Clevelar

Isis said:
Welcome! Drinking 2 ounces of 100% carrot juice daily will thicken hair or you can take vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid).:)

Where can you buy 100% Carrot Juice? Whole Foods? Trader Joes? Would it be in the aisle with other juices or somewhere special?

Divine Inspiration

Clevelar said:
Where can you buy 100% Carrot Juice? Whole Foods? Trader Joes? Would it be in the aisle with other juices or somewhere special?

Both of the stores you listed as well as some juice bars. Naked also sells carrot juice, and you can get that at some convenience stores and many grocery stores.

YasmanSoBe

Divine Inspiration said:
Both of the stores you listed as well as some juice bars. Naked also sells carrot juice, and you can get that at some convenience stores and many grocery stores.

Silly question, but can V8 juice be substituted? I know it's not 100% pure carrot juice, but it is an ingredient along with other good veggies.

Isis

YasmanSoBe said:
Silly question, but can V8 juice be substituted? I know it's not 100% pure carrot juice, but it is an ingredient along with other good veggies.
From what I've learned, when pure vegetable juices are mixed, they become totally different with different results. It's almost like mixing medication. Pure carrot juice is best for thickening the hair and other great beneifts (including the skin) and it goes directly and immediately into the bloodstream to start working right away.

V8 is mainly tomato juice with other vegetable juices added. It cannot be substituted for this particular result.

ETA: Speaking of canned juice, I think I mentioned this before but I knew a guy (who happened to be white) who drank the canned carrot juice by Hollywood as seen in most grocery stores. It was 100% carrot juice and he drank a can everyday. His hair became noticeably thicker in a week or so and he put his head in my face so I can see for myself and feel it. :lol: But I noticed it was thick! He said his barber commented on how thick his hair was getting all of a sudden and wondered what he did to it.

This was several years ago and I went to the grocery store and bought a can. Whew! It tasted so nasty to me with that tin can aftertaste! :crazy: Some people may not mind the taste. It was working though and eventually I bought a juicer. :) That guy was my first introduction to carrot juice.

Last edited:

princesmich

For thicker hair, garlic shampoo to stop hair loss retain length, castor oil on the scalp and as a hot oil treatment.

AtlantaJJ

seymone said:
Can anyone recommend a regime that would make my hair thicker? I have 4a/b hair.. I feel as though my hair is strong but it is just thin.. I will keep my hair braided until July 07 and i would like products that I can use while my hair is braided. Thanks in advance.
I hate to be the barer of bad news but it is very difficult to condition your hair to the maxium benefit when it's braided. Braids also contribute to hair thinning due to the weight on the hair folicle. The tugging and pulling while braiding and then when removing adds to the loss of strands. I am speaking from experience. If you have fine hair to begin with this adds insult to injury.

You may want to rethink wearing braids for so long. People with naturally thick hair can do this because their course abundant strands can withstand the extra weight. My hair is filling back in nicely now since I've been out of braids for 2 months. I doubt I will ever wear them again, they are just not a good idea in general for fine hair with thinish tendancies to begin with. Also it is difficult to get the conditioners to penetrate to the hair strand, braids are rough on the hair cuticle as well. Your cuticle will need to be rebuilt when you remove the braids.

seymone

I am really messed up now.. Do you think it will be better if I alternate braiding and wearing my hair out? My hair is totally natural do you think it should be able to withstand braids.

AtlantaJJ

seymone said:
I am really messed up now.. Do you think it will be better if I alternate braiding and wearing my hair out? My hair is totally natural do you think it should be able to withstand braids.

I didn't mean to mess you up, and perhaps alternating braids vs no braids would work better. I"m just telliing you what my doctor told me, what several beauticians included a braider has told me. Braids are really hard on people with fine thin hair. The fact that your hair is natural should help, but you still will have the weight of the braid putting constaint pressure on your hair folical. I am only telling you from personal experience and research and doctors visits. I wore braids for 6 years staight, human hair micros, which I thought was safe and fine....

Just make sure to be well informed in your decisions.

sunnybunny

Isis said:
From what I've learned, when pure vegetable juices are mixed, they become totally different with different results. It's almost like mixing medication. Pure carrot juice is best for thickening the hair and other great beneifts (including the skin) and it goes directly and immediately into the bloodstream to start working right away.

V8 is mainly tomato juice with other vegetable juices added. It cannot be substituted for this particular result.

ETA: Speaking of canned juice, I think I mentioned this before but I knew a guy (who happened to be white) who drank the canned carrot juice by Hollywood as seen in most grocery stores. It was 100% carrot juice and he drank a can everyday. His hair became noticeably thicker in a week or so and he put his head in my face so I can see for myself and feel it. :lol: But I noticed it was thick! He said his barber commented on how thick his hair was getting all of a sudden and wondered what he did to it.

This was several years ago and I went to the grocery store and bought a can. Whew! It tasted so nasty to me with that tin can aftertaste! :crazy: Some people may not mind the taste. It was working though and eventually I bought a juicer. :) That guy was my first introduction to carrot juice.

I've been juicing for years to mask the taste of the carrot juice you can always add apples and other fruits to make a really tasty drink....

Mystic

ashiah said:
This is what worked for me:
-Stretching relaxers
-Being texturized (this was by accident, but now I love the way it looks)
-Henna (it's unfortunately time consuming and messy, but it does work)
-This one is a little weird, but....dying it black with indigo. I don't know what it is about black hair, but it looks healthier and thicker than it did when it was brown.

I concur. All of these worked for me as well but the part in bold had the biggest impact on my hair. I am SO in love with my hair now. It feels and looks great!

AtlantaJJ

Okay, I'm getting a juicer for Christmas. Ya'll got me going. I have read so many times on this board that carrot juice thickens the hair, it makes prefect sense when I think about it!

Good thread!

gn1g

carrot juice does everything everyone said it would do, but one thing they left out it will definetly make you gain weight.

AtlantaJJ

gn1g said:
carrot juice does everything everyone said it would do, but one thing they left out it will definetly make you gain weight.
Sugar, riiiiiight, well I'll add 10 miles to my runs per week, it will be so worth it!! :grin:

Great point though, calories are calories... I'm 10lbs away from my lifetime WW weight!!

gn1g

AtlantaJJ said:
Sugar, riiiiiight, well I'll add 10 miles to my runs per week, it will be so worth it!! :grin:

Great point though, calories are calories... I'm 10lbs away from my lifetime WW weight!!

I think ISIS might have the solution on how not to gain the weight from the CJ, like take a flax seed oil pill first.

leontyneb

What seemed to work for me was eating peanut butter. Peanut butter has protein in it. It may sound crazy, but I always ate peanut butter all my life and I truly have very thick hair. Too thick for me to wear it natural. To press my hair would take an hour. So, this is what helped me. Both of my daughters also have thick hair and they eat carrot sticks like it is candy to them.

http://public.fotki.com/leontyneb

shunta

gn1g said:
I think Isis mentioned that all you need is 2 oz of carrot juice a day. So, I dont think weight gain would be a factor from that little.:)

AtlantaJJ

:eek: :confused: :lol:
gn1g said:
I think ISIS might have the solution on how not to gain the weight from the CJ, like take a flax seed oil pill first.

Then it would run right through me wouldn't it!??

Isis

gn1g said:

:lol: You're right Shunta. We're talking about juicing or drinking just 2 ounces each day for all the benefits. That's 1/4 of a cup of carrot juice daily. I've never gained weight from drinking carrot juice (even when I drank more).:)

AtlantaJJ - Pure carrot juice goes straight into the bloodstream rather than just run straight through the body.

SunnyBunny - I prefer juicing over canned juice anyway and I love the taste of pure carrot juice. :lick: It was the canned that had an aftertaste to me.

Last edited: