Moisturizing Makes My Press-out Limp! Help

wyldcurlz

i'm in love with moisturizing AND SEALING! i'm now certain that my hair needs regular moisturizing. BUT the problem is, when my hair is flat-ironed or pressed, moisturizing and sealing makes it limp and lifeless. there could be two problems - i could be using too much (which is likely) or doing it too often.

how do those with pressed or flat-ironed styles moisturize your hair? how often? and how much do you use?

i've just started moisturizing with NTM and sealing with either a combination of oils (jojoba, avocado, grape seed and almond seed oils combined.) i've also sealed with tancho stick.

help, please!

wyldcurlz

A lot of naturals just use coconut oil. It's light, provides shine, and nourishes the hair without weighing it down. Here's a thread on it:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=321369

Naturals That Straighten:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=298845

thanks! i'm confused, i thought coconut oil wasn't a moisturizer? more of a sealer?

i've been caring for my hair for a long time, but i never did moisturizing and sealing. previously, i'd put some oil (jojoba or shea butter) on my ends every day or so and i still got split ends - which i think came from dryness. what gives?

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
Try using less. They say a dime size of NTM, but try going a lil less then that, you can always add more. Coconut oil is great. However, after a few days of using just coconut, my ends were dry. My ends are still struggling but have gotten better. I use a dime of NTM put on my ends. I usually wait a couple mins so it can absorb. Then I add either a dime size of Jane Carter Nourish & Shine or very, very lil sweet almond oil. HTH

msa

thanks! i'm confused, i thought coconut oil wasn't a moisturizer? more of a sealer?

i've been caring for my hair for a long time, but i never did moisturizing and sealing. previously, i'd put some oil (jojoba or shea butter) on my ends every day or so and i still got split ends - which i think came from dryness. what gives?

Well, coconut oil is one of few oils that can penetrate the hair strand. It doesn't moisturize, because it doesn't have water. But, it does have an affinity for hair proteins which helps to slow protein loss. It's more accurate to say that coconut oil nourishes or conditions.

Sealers keep the water based moisture you apply from evaporating too quickly (because of the water), allowing them time to do their work. Coconut oil actually gets absorbed by your hair instead of just sitting on top of it. It's still a "sealer" but maybe not as good as some other ones because it needs to be re-applied. I love it though because of its unique properties.

wyldcurlz

bumping, i'm curioius too. i have this same problem

i think i'm using too much! i think that's it. i do my moisturizing section-by-section, so i think less than a dime sized amount is what i need to do. for whole head, maybe a dime or nickel sized amount or moisturizer and even less oil! i think that might work for you too!! :grin:

i'm also going to experiemtn with some of the products recommended here, like coconut oil or jane carter. so far my oil combo with NTM is good. but, i've only been moisturizing & sealing for a week. let me know how it works for you!

TheQueenBeeMaya

i think i'm using too much! i think that's it. i do my moisturizing section-by-section, so i think less than a dime sized amount is what i need to do. for whole head, maybe a dime or nickel sized amount or moisturizer and even less oil! i think that might work for you too!! :grin:

i'm also going to experiemtn with some of the products recommended here, like coconut oil or jane carter. so far my oil combo with NTM is good. but, i've only been moisturizing & sealing for a week. let me know how it works for you!

so, you're going to use a dime sized amount or less, PER SECTION? i'm going to have to try that NTM after i run out of KC knot today. i love coconut oil, it seems as if my hair has become softer since using it. olive oil has also been great for my ends

wyldcurlz

so, you're going to use a dime sized amount or less, PER SECTION? i'm going to have to try that NTM after i run out of KC knot today. i love coconut oil, it seems as if my hair has become softer since using it. olive oil has also been great for my ends

yes, i tried it tonight, so far so good. i made 7-8 sections. i applied about a dime sized amount or less to each section - just depending on how it felt (and the size of the section cuz they weren't evenly sized.) i applied that small amount of NTM all over - and maybe a pea sized amt extra to my ends. then i applied a couple of drops of oil to the ends of each section - the last 2inches of ends. my hair still has nice body to it. its not lifeless. and most importantly - it feels soft and moisturized! even the kitchen feels better and is smoother instead of tight and dry. keep me updated on how it works for you. guess its gonna be trial & error. :)