The Weekly Walk with James MacDonald

Nice & Wavy

God's Unstoppable Witnesses

" 'And I will grant authority to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for 1,260 days, clothed in sackcloth.' These are the two olive trees and the two lampstands that stand before the Lord of the earth. And if anyone would harm them, fire pours from their mouth and consumes their foes. If anyone would harm them, this is how he is doomed to be killed." - Revelation 11:3-5

This is one of the classic passages in the entire Book of Revelation. The two witnesses will deliver God's Word in the second half of the seven year final period.

Your first question after reading today's passage is probably, who are these two witnesses? Some suggest that they are kind of a revived version of Elijah and Moses. And there are reasons why people say that.

Elijah and Moses were the two greatest Old Testament prophets:

1. Greatest in terms of how they lived. Moses led the Exodus and broke a great political power of his day; Elijah led the great victory on Mount Carmel and humiliated an idolatrous power of his day.
  2. Greatest in terms of how they died. Moses was buried by God. I don’t know when you’re going to leave this world, but you and I are going to have to go into the ground like everybody else. Moses? God buried him. Elijah was taken to heaven. He didn't even die. Elijah got to heaven in a chariot of fire. God was like, "You know what? You're not even going to die. I'm sending a fiery limo for you."

And so Elijah and Moses are recognized as the greatest of the Old Testament prophets. And some of the things that these two witnesses from Revelation 11 do remind us of Elijah and Moses. They are two literal witnesses that God is going to raise up to speak for Him in the Last Days.

Yet, as invincible as these two speakers appear, the beast will kill them when they have "finished their testimony" (v. 7). Death, however, isn't the final word (see v. 11). These men and their temporary ministry apply to all of us living out our places in God's plan. Under His protection, nothing happens to us outside His power to control. No one will derail God's plans. People may think they can outwit God, but that, as the saying goes, ain't gonna happen.

Our attitude must exude confidence in God's care. The plan isn't about us anyway. We can entrust ourselves to the One who will make it all work out for our good - because we love Him and are called according to His purpose (see Romans 8:28).

Last edited: