Making Sure Things Are in Check!!!

Nice & Wavy

Blessings...always!

N&W

One question that Pastors have often asked goes something like this: “If you knew that you were going to face God today…”
In 2 Kings chapter 2 we find just such a situation. It’s a rare opportunity to watch someone react when the Lord tells him that he is living his final day on Earth!

The man is Elijah. Elijah is one of Israel’s most celebrated and revered Prophets, so it’s easy to forget that Elijah is human. Whatever spiritual maturity he displayed came about in the same way spiritual maturity comes about in our lives, as well. He went through some really difficult and trying circumstances and struggled to hold on, just like you and I have when we’ve faced hard times amid confusing situations. And as Elijah walked through his Valleys of Baca, or weeping (Psalm 84) with the Lord, he learned to trust Him, and he grew in faith and in grace!
My Dad used to tell me; “You’re gonna live ’til you die, and worrying won’t change anything.”
Elijah learned the truth of that saying as God carried him in those times when his strength gave out and his hope was fading. He experienced God’s patience, mercy, and gentle kindness when he was indulging in a personal pity party over the fact that Queen Jezebel had put out a contract to have him killed. Elijah grew into a man of God, a man of tremendous faith and power, but he didn’t start that way!

So how did Elijah react when God informed him that he was living his very last day this side of eternity? Did he hurry home to pour out his “stash” and clear out his secret drawer!? Did he have someone to whom he had to apologize before he left, or some unkept promise to quickly keep? Did Elijah rush to fulfill a commitment that he had been meaning to get around to, but hadn’t? Did he begin to weep and beg God to forgive him for the hypocrisy of his journey?
No…

Elijah had apparently kept short accounts with God. Meaning, he had handled things as they arose. He didn’t live a perfect life, of course, none of us have! But Elijah had lived in humility before the Lord and his fellows, acknowledging his mistakes when he saw them, and looking to Lord for mercy and forgiveness every step along the way! You may ask, "how do you know this?” Well, I’m reading between the lines, so to speak. You see, I’m convinced that Elijah had kept short accounts with the Lord because when God told him that the Chariot of fire was on it’s way, Elijah didn’t panic, he just went for a walk! Elijah did what Elijah had always done before receiving this amazing news, he went where the Lord told him to go, did what the Lord told him to do, and said what the Lord told him to say! That’s a sure and simple “secret” to enjoying a life of peace and fearlessness, by the way! Just GO where Jesus tells you to go, DO what Jesus tells you to do, and SAY what Jesus tells you to say! It’s what Jesus Himself did, and what He has instructed US to do!
(John 8:28-29) Jesus therefore said, “When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself, but as the Father taught me, I speak these things. And He that sent me is with me; He hath not left me alone; for I do always the things that are pleasing to Him.”

(John 20:21) Jesus therefore said to them again, “Peace be unto you: as the Father hath sent me, even so send I you.”
Why not start today!? Make a list for yourself of those things that you would need to hurry home and do if God told you that His fiery Chariot was on it’s way to your house, then get them done! Take action now! And if you aren’t already confident that your sins are forgiven, start there.

Jesus was executed in your place on Calvary’s cross, so first you need to agree with God that your sin deserves punishment, then believe that Jesus has paid that penalty, that God has raised Him from the grave, and determine that from this day forward you’ll GO, DO, and SAY what He says to go, do, and say!