The W-Shape Support Thread

Liege4421

I'm a fully paid up member, but I know exactly why. It's because of the pony tails that I used to always wear, and when I cut those out I reached for the butterfly clips, which only aided to weaken my already thin hair. So I have to cut these out of my hair styling options completely.

ITA...ponytails were the cause of this for me, and now the back of my hair grows longer than the front! I started using braids as PS (just a regular single braid in the back of my head), or at least have a looser pony and move it into different locations on the head. I only pony once a week now.

LushLox

^^^ Yeah the back of my hair has really picked up since I cut out the ponies and it's now coming along quite nicely. :yep:

Barbie83

Sorry if this has been said already, but I would try tying a silk scarf over the back of your car headrest. I have fabric seats, and whenever i wear a pony, i notice that the hair at the top of the ponytail gets all smushed and frizzy after driving. Now that I have a silk scarf back there, the hair just glides over....

its a small thing, but every little bit helps!

LushLox

How are my fellow W shape ladies getting on. Anyone seeing any improvement/progress? Mine seems to be picking up slightly, but there is still a lot of work to be done.

marla

I'm down with a memebership as well. My nape was damaged from psoriasis, and the hair that grows in that aea is fierce! Almost alien-like! I had to stop stretching and now slowly trimming the sides until the "Wu" area catches up. Right now my sides are APL and the "Wu" is just past shoulder length. I also keep it super moisturized as well.

Ltown

Greyland
Wow this board is the best, I have this and have cut my hair in the past 3 months evenually which has also prevented me from reaching SL. It probably the pony I been trying to wear as PS and a transitioner.

LushLox

I'm down with a memebership as well. My nape was damaged from psoriasis, and the hair that grows in that aea is fierce! Almost alien-like! I had to stop stretching and now slowly trimming the sides until the "Wu" area catches up. Right now my sides are APL and the "Wu" is just past shoulder length. I also keep it super moisturized as well.

I love the term "Wu" it describes my hair so well! :lachen:

paradise79

Hi ladies,

Joining the W-shape team.Looking forward my trim...I used to dust the longer sides but they are still growing faster, or instead it's the others sides that are slower :lachen:

I tried to keep the area moisturized but I think the only solution may be to have blunt cut and see how it wil go.

peppers01

I decided to come back because I figured out what cause my W-shape in the back. I have been overprocessing the back, and wearing ponytails that are causing that weakened area to break horriby! The front is fine, but it's the back that is thinning right down the center.

I am being lazy when I relax. Instead of dividing my hair into 4 sections, I only divide it into 3, and I do the back all at one time! I just had to cut my hair back up to BSL, because after this last relaxer. It had acutally grown to MBL! It was a minor set back, but my hair looks fuller, and it'll grow back.

nymane

bumping this thread...I have the W shape due to severe breakage, but my crown and middle actually grow the fastest...so now I think I'll gradually trim and wait for this shape to grow out....it's definitely frustrating

LoveCraze

Naturalista
My name is StephElise, and I am a member of the Wu Tang Clan.:lachen:
It's been 7 mths since my last relaxer and I am hoping that the nape area will grow and thicken. It is a much finer texture than the rest of my hair and I have also noticed it doesn't hold styles quite like the rest of my hair does. Anyone else have this problem?

HairBarbie

I totally forgot about this thread.

My nape is starting to grow back and there's not as much difference between the middle and the back anymore and the part feels even healthier. It's not as even as I want it to be, but it's getting there.

This is what I've done differently.

1. Stop clipping my hair in that area
2. Making sure that the nape is well moisturized
3. Being really gently with that part
4. Relaxing that part for a very short time

The nape is really sensitive, so I am considering trying black Jamaican castor oil to strengthen that part. Has anyone had any experience/progress with the castor oil?

StephElise, I have the same exact problem, that area of my hair is a different/looser texture and it's and finer, hence more prone to breakage.

Peppers and Cream Tee, both your hair look great and even. I can't see the W anymore, what have you two being doing differently?

Last edited:

NoNapNique

Another "W" here! :lachen:
Mine has been this way for years, and over the last few months of addressing it, I'm seeing MAJOR progress. Here are some of the things I've done:

*Keeping the middle moisturized with a mixture of leave-in cond., S-curl spray, and castor oil (I also do this all over on my ends, but more frequently in the middle)

*Cantu Shea creme (I use both kinds in the jar)

*Oiling scalp and massaging middle area ONLY -from top of head all the way down to nape

*Not sleeping on the back of my head

*Wearing low ponytails.

*Stretching relaxers (3 months or more)... and when I do them, I relax the middle LAST - even though the middle is the coarsest hair on my head :( :(

*Take anti shedding supplement Inositol/Choline (along with my other growth supplements), as well as mixing garlic oil in with my regular hair oil for no shedding - since you need to *retain* as much of that shorter hair as possible while working on that W!

It seems like alot, but I am not fanatic with it - I do it every couple days or so when I think of it (not relaxers of course :look:) and I've still been able to see a big improvement :grin:

scarcity21

Another "W" here! :lachen:
Mine has been this way for years, and over the last few months of addressing it, I'm seeing MAJOR progress. Here are some of the things I've done:

*Keeping the middle moisturized with a mixture of leave-in cond., S-curl spray, and castor oil (I also do this all over on my ends, but more frequently in the middle)

*Cantu Shea creme (I use both kinds in the jar)

*Oiling scalp and massaging middle area ONLY -from top of head all the way down to nape

*Not sleeping on the back of my head

*Wearing low ponytails.

*Stretching relaxers (3 months or more)... and when I do them, I relax the middle LAST - even though the middle is the coarsest hair on my head :( :(

*Take anti shedding supplement Inositol/Choline (along with my other growth supplements), as well as mixing garlic oil in with my regular hair oil for no shedding - since you need to *retain* as much of that shorter hair as possible while working on that W!

It seems like alot, but I am not fanatic with it - I do it every couple days or so when I think of it (not relaxers of course :look:) and I've still been able to see a big improvement :grin:

hey NNN, whats the name of ur inositol/choline supplement and where did u purchase garlic oil? does it stink? TIA

NoNapNique

hey NNN, whats the name of ur inositol/choline supplement and where did u purchase garlic oil? does it stink? TIA

I use whatever brand I can find... And garlic oil can be purchased at any health food store. i got mine at Whole Foods. Just make sure it is the odorless kind.

pookaloo83

I just realized I have the 'W' last night. My sis was like the middle is shorter than the rest. I haven't been doing anything different. I don't know what to do. :cry:

exubah

I definitely need to join this thread. One of my major goals for 2010 is to have blunt MBL hair but in order to do this I have to get rid of my "W"!!!

I think I am going to massage that area with JBCO 2-3 times a week and see what happens. I will also continue to do a few other things like shifting my ponytail location as well as cut back on using the ouchless elastic bands. I will make my buns with the Good Hair Day pins instead.

vkb247

I am wondering if anyone has considered that their hair might grow this way because of the shape of their head? I know I have and egg shaped head and when I was talking to my stylist about my issues at my crown (very coarse, brittle hairshe mentioned that she thinks the shape of the head could effect how it rubs against my pillow etc. I figure it can also make your hair grow in a different shape.

pookaloo83

I think it may be me wearing a banana clip everyday that's giving me this 'W' shape. It's also kinda sore back there*sigh*

HairBarbie

I just wanted to say that after years, my hair finally evened up by itself and I didn't even have to cut it. I can now leave my hair down once in a while.

I had a set back at the beg. of the year and the hair in the center of the back completely broke off. I haven't being doing anything special, the main difference was that I stopped putting plastic clips in that area, but I have being doing pony tails with regular ouchless pony tail holders. The hair that grew back is much stronger than what used to be their before.

It's weird though because I have still having breakage but, stopping breakage will be my goal for next year. Right after I get a good trim.

Has anyone else gotten progress?

virtuenow

See this thread for some success stories-- I just came across: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=498690
On page two is a second poster (@Qualitee) with pics. The OP (@your hair is your glory) gives more pics on the last page and describes the growth as lead hairs. They give tips on how to "comeback" from the two length variations. I am looking for some support on this topic and may start a challenge on "W" grow out. This is where my hair "passion" is right now and I'm determined to comeback! Anyone with me?!

ETA: blessed7777 Bettina HairBarbie and others

Last edited:

LushLox

Anyone still got the Wu going on?

I totally sorted out the problem but I have recently noticed a slightly thinner section in the middle, it's not a major problem but I need to deal with it before it becomes one. Admittedly I did resort to wearing ponies when I haven't been bothered to style my hair in other ways. I have to really carefully consider my styling options and ensure that I reduce the stress on my hair as much as possible.

I'll have to get my oils back out, straight castor oil really worked for me; will use some tonight.