The Straight Hair Effect: I Didn't Believe It Until It Happened To Me

kblc06

When I would hear people say that wearing their hair straight DRASTICALLY affected people's responses towards them, I figured they may have been embellishing a little. Now, I'm natural and given what I know about European standard of beauty's affect on people, I no longer underestimate this fact.

This point was really driven home when I flat-ironed my hair this weekend. Maybe I hadn't paid attention before, but people especially "others", were so polite and cordial to me.Smiling at me and making small talk...this rarely ever happens when I wear my hair natural. I didn't dress differently than when I wear my hair in it's natural state and I still wore my normal make-up, earrings etc. I received compliments on how pretty I was or my hair, but I looked the same as I did when I wear my natural hair. Nothing changed except my hair :ohwell:.

Is straight hair really that serious!?

Kranbery

I have experienced this yet. I actually get more compliments on my hair when it is in it's curly state, so I don't know. When I get my hair straightened in November, I'll def. pay more attention to other people's reactions.

CurlyMoo

Yes it is THAT serious. Almost as serious as walking into a room wearing baggy sweat pants vs. a feminine cute dress. You will be treated differently, or better.

It's mixed for me depending on what I'm wearing and how I wear my hair. But in my experience straightened hair gets more rubber necking.

BlackMasterPiece

Meh, not really , in the city, coils make more of a statement and help you stand out more, I feel I get an equal amount of love regardless. My fabulousness remains consistent no matter what form my hair might happen to take that week.....thats my motto:yep:

CurlyMoo

Meh, not really , in the city, coils make more of a statement and help you stand out more, I feel I get an equal amount of love regardless. My fabulousness remains consistent no matter what form my hair might happen to take that week.....thats my motto:yep:

I think a confident attitude and an attractive outfit will overcome the straight hair effect. :yep:

laurend

When I would hear people say that wearing their hair straight DRASTICALLY affected people's responses towards them, I figured they may have been embellishing a little. Now, I'm natural and given what I know about European standard of beauty's affect on people, I no longer underestimate this fact.

This point was really driven home when I flat-ironed my hair this weekend. Maybe I hadn't paid attention before, but people especially "others", were so polite and cordial to me.Smiling at me and making small talk...this rarely ever happens when I wear my hair natural. I didn't dress differently than when I wear my hair in it's natural state and I still wore my normal make-up, earrings etc. I received compliments on how pretty I was or my hair, but I looked the same as I did when I wear my natural hair. Nothing changed except my hair :ohwell:.

Is straight hair really that serious!?

Let it get to BS and that's when you will get the serious I love you looks from BM.

CurlyMoo

I've had my hair pulled back in a bun when it was natural and pulled back in a bun when it was straight and I still felt like it was the straightness that got the attention. Because I noticed I was hit on more when it was straight. Maybe staright hair slightly changes our features like a good eyebrow trim. But regardless of texture men like long flowing hair with straight having the edge. It is what it is.

kblc06

I think a confident attitude and an attractive outfit will overcome the straight hair effect. :yep:

But I'm actually more self-conscious when my hair is straight :look: ...simply because of the stares. Don't get me wrong, I get many compliments on my natural hair and styles, but people, especially non-black ones were acting helpful and comfortable around me with very little provocation on my part ....not that that's a bad thing....I guess :ohwell:

CurlyMoo

Couldn't agree with you more:clapping::yep:

Well in all honestly I do feel more energized and confident when I straighten my hair. Because I don't straighten my hair but twice a year it feels like a treat. I feel pretty and feminine, it's different and the length is obvious. I'm not a slouch and I do get hit on even when my natural hair is clipped up depending on my mood. I get hit on more when I'm smiling and flirty as opposed to a perpetual scowl (and I still get hit on:blush:.) Now if I walk in with a flirty smiling demeanor and straight hair that's flowing in the wind it stops traffic. It just seems to have that edge but attitude is the key factor.

CurlyMoo

But I'm actually more self-conscious when my hair is straight :look: ...simply because of the stares. Don't get me wrong, I get many compliments on my natural hair and styles, but people, especially non-black ones were acting helpful and comfortable around me with very little provocation on my part ....not that that's a bad thing....I guess :ohwell:

How do you normally wear your hair when it's natural versus straight?

kblc06

How do you normally wear your hair when it's natural versus straight?

Hmmm...now that I think about it, I usually wear my natural hair up, but I wore my straight hair down :think:. But still, I don't really get that much positive attention when I wear a wash n go, unless you count the times people asked me where do I buy my hair from :spinning: . But you may have a point, I don't really wear my natural hair down often enough to say for true, if this is the case but it's likely.

jupitermoon

Yes, I've noticed this too. When I wear my hair straight, people are more inclined to compliment me on my hair or appearance. We live in a looks obsessed society.

It's not only hair but the way you look in general greatly impacts how others percieve and treat you. As a teenager I went through a period when I became very overweight, and let me tell you, there was a drastic difference in how I was treated and how others responded to me. :nono: Even doctors and medical "professionals" were ignorant. People react differently to people based on skin color, body size, and percieved attractiveness (having features that society deems as attractive).

I do get compliments on my natural hair, but yes, people tend to respond more positively to my straight hair. This makes me want to stay natural and not straighten my hair even more.

jamaraa

I've had my hair pulled back in a bun when it was natural and pulled back in a bun when it was straight and I still felt like it was the straightness that got the attention. Because I noticed I was hit on more when it was straight. Maybe staright hair slightly changes our features like a good eyebrow trim. But regardless of texture men like long flowing hair with straight having the edge. It is what it is.

Couldn't this have been more about visible length? I assume you wore your straight hair hanging down.

Last edited:

CurlyMoo

Couldn't this been more about visible length? I assume you wore your straight hair hanging down?

It was pulled back in a bun on both occassions. I think I'm going to have to do a controlled study. Walk down a street or go to a gala with natural hair down with a really nice outfit and go to the same party with the same outift with my hair down and straight. If the same people are there I KNOW someone will ask me why I straightened my hair. :rolleyes:

kblc06

I'm finding this to be true as well, now that I'm losing weight :yep:. It's an unfortunate reality :sad:

Yes, I've noticed this too. When I wear my hair straight, people are more inclined to compliment me on my hair or appearance. We live in a looks obsessed society.

It's not only hair but the way you look in general greatly impacts how others percieve and treat you. As a teenager I went through a period when I became very overweight, and let me tell you, there was a drastic difference in how I was treated and how others responded to me. :nono: Even doctors and medical "professionals" were ignorant. People react differently to people based on skin color, body size, and percieved attractiveness (having features that society deems as attractive).

I do get compliments on my natural hair, but yes, people tend to respond more positively to my straight hair. This makes me want to stay natural and not straighten my hair even more.

jupitermoon

I'm finding this to be true as well, now that I'm losing weight :yep:. It's an unfortunate reality :sad:

It's very sad actually. People really react to you based off of looks. People claim not to be shallow but most are. From light skin to dark skin, skinny vs. overweight, acne vs. clear skin (at least this can be controlled), "pretty" vs. "not pretty" the way you look greatly affects how others treat and react to you. Hair is only one factor. There's much more to it.

Arcadian

I'm relaxed so my hair always appears straight (in a bun)

People respond differently when its down though. Thats especially true with men.

However, the longer it gets, the more folk rubberneck, and that goes for women too.

I had relaxed last weekend after being on a particularly long stretch. (I last relaxed in Marchish?) My hair is probably a bit past MBL though I'm itching to cut it because I can barely deal with it.

I never wear my hair down in work situations unless I'm trying to snag a deal and the top dog is a male. Men are so simple.:yep:

-A

naturalpride

Who cares what people think your damned if you do, and damned if you don't. You can not please people. When your hair is straight and flowing people look at you with stank look like you're not all that, or try to remind you that you are not white......

CarLiTa

it could also depend on what styles you wear your hair when in its natural state or when pressed/straight.

If you are wearing a bun in your coils, the bun probably looks super sleek and tight.
On the other hand...
if you are wearing a bun with straight hair, it probably has more looseness to it, some strands escaping the bun, and all that... so it could be deemed as seductive.

I believe cute (emphasis on cute) fly-away strands are seen as feminine and seductive.

Wearing your hair stick straight without too much body, vs. wearing a body-full braidout or something of that sort.... the braidout will get more attention. Again, added volume, fly-aways that, in certain cases, can be deemed cute and uber-feminine.

For naturals, length matters (in terms of responses from other people) BUT types of styles can compensate for the length. A super cropped length probably highlight features, and big hair gets a lot of attention. The in-between can tend to be overlooked.

Styles: braid outs, wash-n-goes, twistsouts, are more likely to get attention over cornrows and twists.

lilsparkle825

I like wearing my hair straight because I worked hard for this length (it's long IRL :giggle:), but I don't like it because I feel like just another face in the crowd. My curls make me feel like I stand out, although I get more attention with my hair straight. Go figure.

BostonMaria

When I wear my hair curly - whether its a wash and go, bun or ponytail - I notice that people tend to come up to me more and strike up a conversation. Oh and I get more attention from the South American men and Indian men. Luckily for my DH I don't like either LOL I think I look more approachable for whatever reason.

When I wear my hair straight I get more compliments from men of all colors/nationalities, but its not exactly welcoming or warm. I get the kind of attention I don't necessarily want. I'm less "invisible" if you know what I mean.

Mind you, I am dressed conservatively with both hairstyles. I'm talking grandma pearls, dresses that cover my ankles, cashmere sweaters LOL Boring stuff that I love to wear to work. So I don't get it. I guess it is that serious.

newbiemom

I think what most people consider the "straight hair effect" is really the absolute amazement of seeing a black woman with healthy shiny REAL hair. I think it completely throwa people off.

BostonMaria

I think what most people consider the "straight hair effect" is really the absolute amazement of seeing a black woman with healthy shiny REAL hair. I think it completely throwa people off.

I'm guilty of it too. If I see a black woman with long hair I'm choking on my coffee and breaking my neck trying to see pretty the hair is LOL Damn that sounds so stalkerish LOL

cutenss

Its funny because when I wear my hair straight, I get weave checked, or the "do you have indian in your family?" comments. When I wear my hair in its natural state (360 waves) WNG bun, I get compliments on my hair.:perplexed I have also noticed if my hair is straight, I get alot of "what relaxer do you use?" questions. When I state that this is my natural hair, no relaxer, I get this look :eek: IDK

newbiemom

BostonM , I am super stalkerish to when I see really pretty, long aa hair irl. I am fairly tall so I find myself looking for tracks. Checking for movement and all sorts of foolishness.

melodies815

....unless you live where I live. :nono: I have all the confidence in the world, but no one here feels that any kind of afro or kinky style is professional-looking. I'm in an odd place because I am about to be working in a new business unit and heading up a leg of a search firm. In the area of for-profit hospita administration, I am not 100% sure how my hair will be perceived.

I have until January to really worry about it, but we are planning now, and already, it has come up.

I refuse to relax my hair simply because chemical-free is as much lifestyle as it is health...

...but I can't deny that there is a difference in the eyes of others when kinky/coily hair is straightened.

:sad:

cj