The "other" Loc

krissyhair

I've never been into the Liquid/Oil/Cream combo.

My trifecta is Conditioner/Water/Gel :afro:

What triple combos do you like besides LOC?

LCO? CWG?

I might buy biolage aqua gel conditioner for this purpose. The name sounds like a 3-in-1.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I had to bring it back over here since the other thread is strictly for the challenge.

Thank you so much for linking!
So, ummm, are the essential oils for scenting only, or do they play a role in conditioning the hair as well?
I understand that you use this mix in the shower. So you saturate your hair with water, then add oil. What do you do after that? Do you comb? Finger detangle? Or just smooth the oil on and then rinse out? Do you ever reapply the oil after emerging from shower? Or is that it?
Also how much exactly do you apply?

Sorry too many questions!
The EOs are primarily to help keep my follicles alive, scent is a distant second, no conditioning factor.

In the shower, I saturate my hair with water (takes a few minutes) and start separating it under running water to get some of the sheds out. Next, oil is applied to the front, sides and back, rinsing off the sheds as I go, massaging it into my scalp (about 1-2 tsps, a little at a time). I separated my hair into 5-10 sections and clip the ones I am not working on out of the way. Feeling for knots and potential dreads, I finger-detangle underwater, adding a drop or two of oil to subborn knots. Any additional products are used after I think I'm done to see if I missed any knots or sheds. If I use a lighter oil first, I follow up with the Castor Mix to seal in the moisture and massage it into my scalp (less than a tsp).

Most of the time, I use my fingers, and others, combs and the Tangle Teezer. I do not apply anymore oil unless I am sealing in aloe gel that I have applied to damp or slightly damp hair. I do use oils to dry finger-detangle, but not much. Babassu oil is the only one I apply an hour or more before my wash routine.

Any more questions? :)

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
My favorite combo is Garnier fructis sleek n shine cream, APB honey body glaze and APB hair and body butter. Hair stays soft and moisturized for 7+ days.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I just did a twist out and used leave in, Moisturizer, oil and gel and I have the softest hair ever. This may be a nice summer time go to.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
For wash-and-go's:
  • water,
  • aloe Vera juice,
  • oil (CurlyProverbz DIY Hair Growth Oil),
  • leave-in (Kinky Curly Knot Today),
  • gel (primarily now Kinky Curly Curling Custard or Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker)

For twists and sets:
  • water,
  • aloe Vera juice,
  • oil (CurlyProverbz DIY Hair Growth Oil),
  • leave-in (Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion for ridiculous slip for comb/brush -through),
  • mousse (haven't yet found one better than Design Essentials Almond & Avocado Mousse)
So WAOLG and WAOLM. :smile:

krissyhair

Thanks for the responses and sharing mixes.

OAN, I think any more than 3 layers gets heavy on my hair.

Neomorph

I use LOG for both my wash and gos and twist outs
Leave in: Kinky Curly Knot Today
Oil: Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Gel: Kinky Curly Curly Custard

Alma Petra

I had to bring it back over here since the other thread is strictly for the challenge.

The EOs are primarily to help keep my follicles alive, scent is a distant second, no conditioning factor.

In the shower, I saturate my hair with water (takes a few minutes) and start separating it under running water to get some of the sheds out. Next, oil is applied to the front, sides and back, rinsing off the sheds as I go, massaging it into my scalp (about 1-2 tsps, a little at a time). I separated my hair into 5-10 sections and clip the ones I am not working on out of the way. Feeling for knots and potential dreads, I finger-detangle underwater, adding a drop or two of oil to subborn knots. Any additional products are used after I think I'm done to see if I missed any knots or sheds. If I use a lighter oil first, I follow up with the Castor Mix to seal in the moisture and massage it into my scalp (less than a tsp).

Most of the time, I use my fingers, and others, combs and the Tangle Teezer. I do not apply anymore oil unless I am sealing in aloe gel that I have applied to damp or slightly damp hair. I do use oils to dry finger-detangle, but not much. Babassu oil is the only one I apply an hour or more before my wash routine.

Any more questions? :)

Thank you heaps for the detailed and patient reply!!

I went and purchased the 3 main oils of the mix. My god, they are expensive! I think that it will be best to abandon my heavy handed ways and strictly follow your 1-2 tsp directions if I want them to last me a good amount of time.

Btw is the pumpkin seed oil really this dark green in color? Would it not cause clothes discoloration then?

Do you ever use any leave-in conditioner after you rinse the oils out? Or any stylers?

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Thank you heaps for the detailed and patient reply!!

I went and purchased the 3 main oils of the mix. My god, they are expensive! I think that it will be best to abandon my heavy handed ways and strictly follow your 1-2 tsp directions if I want them to last me a good amount of time.

Btw is the pumpkin seed oil really this dark green in color? Would it not cause clothes discoloration then?

Do you ever use any leave-in conditioner after you rinse the oils out? Or any stylers?
I get sample sizes from eBay in case I do not like them, and some vendors have multi-bottle discounts. The oils should last for years if you store them away from heat and light.

Yup, pumpkin seed oil is very green and smells like pumpkin. Since I am rinsing and detangling with it, only a trace amount remains. I hate greasiness, yuk.

I stopped using conditioners years ago. I do play with gels sometimes and just bought a styling pudding to play with.

Alma Petra

I get sample sizes from eBay in case I do not like them, and some vendors have multi-bottle discounts. The oils should last for years if you store them away from heat and light.

Yup, pumpkin seed oil is very green and smells like pumpkin. Since I am rinsing and detangling with it, only a trace amount remains. I hate greasiness, yuk.

I stopped using conditioners years ago. I do play with gels sometimes and just bought a styling pudding to play with.

I'm not afraid that they will go bad. I'm afraid that I will go through them in like no time. The bottles I bought may be too small though. Definitely not more than 500 ml in each, probably less. I have sunflower oil for occasional oil rinses and I buy the huge bottle since it's very cheap.

So why did you stop using conditioners? Do they not play well with the oils method?

And since I'm in a questioning mode, what would you say your porosity is (not that I'm very sure of mine lol)

I read that you have been natural for 7 years now; have your curls always been this gorgeous?

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I'm not afraid that they will go bad. I'm afraid that I will go through them in like no time. The bottles I bought may be too small though. Definitely not more than 500 ml in each, probably less. I have sunflower oil for occasional oil rinses and I buy the huge bottle since it's very cheap.

So why did you stop using conditioners? Do they not play well with the oils method?

And since I'm in a questioning mode, what would you say your porosity is (not that I'm very sure of mine lol)

I read that you have been natural for 7 years now; have your curls always been this gorgeous?
I did not realize back then, but conditioners use fatty alcohols derived from mostly coconut oil. I had a flaky scalp (not dandruff) no matter what I had tried and thought I had low porosity hair. I switched to Terressentials Mud Wash along with oil rinsing and realized I did not have to use conditioner all of the time. The last time I buzzed my hair off (July 2015), I just kept oil rinsing. No more flakes.

I have been natural since the 90s, but did not start truly caring for my hair until 2004. I tried oil rinsing in 2011, and my hair improved tremendously, and the coils started clumping. Now, my hair is in the best shape ever and it is normal porosity. Thank you.