My Experimentation With Loc Method Vs. Lc Method

almond eyes

@almond eyes I dealt with low porosity hair in the past and still have some showings of it now.

I went through of period of skipping sealing and I thought all was well. Months later, my ends were raggady. Could have been fluke or could have been the lack of sealing. I returned to sealing for safe measure.

The need to seal has to do with product and its ability to keep my hair moisturized. Spraying with water and using a cream with an emulsifier left my hair bone dry back in the day. I tried it again last night for old time sake with the same result. My hair does better with a moisturizing spray, cream and oil when moisturizing throughout the week. On wash day, my hair does good with LOC with dabur vatika coconut oil as my O.

I hear your point. I guess it depends on the properties of your leave in or moisturizer. Because if they have the oils and the other stuff to bind it there should be no need to add extra oils. I found that when my hair was stiff after doing the spray and the moisturizers in the past it was because my leave in/moisturiser had protein or my leave in didn't have an emulsifier or my conditioner and shampoos had proteins and I was getting protein overload but didn't know it. Which is why now I am keen on reading my ingredient list.

But if your LOC method works you should continue on that journey.

Best,
Almond Eyes

almond eyes

I Baggie nightly and never end up with soggy hair. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

For sure that is true. Like some women can wash their skin with oil and have no breakouts and others cannot. But should you wash your skin with oil is another question.

I feel like the moisture that comes out of baggying is different than when I put water on my hair from a spray bottle or the shower. When I baggy my scalp and hair feels sweaty. My hair texture is fine so it doesn't like to be damp too much as it gets longer to prevent breakage and weak hair.

Best,
Almond Eyes

snoop

I've been meaning to post from my computer instead of the phone, but I read something that said that one thing to consider is that you don't know how much oil is in a product. I suspect from this point of view, this could be the reason why some people do well with oiling after a moisturizer and some not.

The properties of every oil varies. Depending on which type of acid chains your hair prefers you might find that it's necessary to top that up if your (c) cream is lacking.

Likewise, if you use water but water alone as a liquid (L) does nothing for your hair then you're going to find doing these extra steps necessary.

I hated using aloe vera in my hair as I found it to be too drying. A few weeks ago I played with the dilution and used it as a final rinse and my goodness it had made such a difference to my hair (at least in this weather). Now I can go for days workout my hair feeling dry and crispy. Sometimes, without m&s'ing after washing or water rinsing. Why? Well I learned that aloe evaporates at a slower rate than water which I figure is why is used in somany products.

After this discovery I figure that the oil step probably isn't necessary, but I find comfort in doing it and it doesn't seem to be hindering anything. I don't have this particular oil in my leave in and it doesn't leave my hair greasy so it's probably adding something to my hair that it wasn't getting from the moisturizer.

Also there isn't anything to say that using an oil straight had the same affect when hearing it and combining it with other oils and products to make a moisturizer. Cherry cheesecake: yum! Cherries by themselves yum, too (and healthier! )

I need to eat lunch....

almond eyes

I've been meaning to post from my computer instead of the phone, but I read something that said that one thing to consider is that you don't know how much oil is in a product. I suspect from this point of view, this could be the reason why some people do well with oiling after a moisturizer and some not.

The properties of every oil varies. Depending on which type of acid chains your hair prefers you might find that it's necessary to top that up if your (c) cream is lacking.

Likewise, if you use water but water alone as a liquid (L) does nothing for your hair then you're going to find doing these extra steps necessary.

I hated using aloe vera in my hair as I found it to be too drying. A few weeks ago I played with the dilution and used it as a final rinse and my goodness it had made such a difference to my hair (at least in this weather). Now I can go for days workout my hair feeling dry and crispy. Sometimes, without m&s'ing after washing or water rinsing. Why? Well I learned that aloe evaporates at a slower rate than water which I figure is why is used in somany products.

After this discovery I figure that the oil step probably isn't necessary, but I find comfort in doing it and it doesn't seem to be hindering anything. I don't have this particular oil in my leave in and it doesn't leave my hair greasy so it's probably adding something to my hair that it wasn't getting from the moisturizer.

Also there isn't anything to say that using an oil straight had the same affect when hearing it and combining it with other oils and products to make a moisturizer. Cherry cheesecake: yum! Cherries by themselves yum, too (and healthier! )

I need to eat lunch....

Nice post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

almond eyes

I think for some women the oil can act as a gel to almost freeze the curls in place. So yes the oil would have that drying affect.

But if you are talking about doing a protective style like big braids or twists before bed and wanting to keep your hair moist (moisturized), do not add the extra oil if you want your hair to stay softer until the morning which helps with hair retention.

Now of course if you wear your hair out without it being in a protective style the water and products will evaporate a lot quicker as our hair is like a sponge and what holds well in your house may not hold up in the outside air. But my suggestions were for women who do nightly big twists and/or big braids and wanted to hold that moisture in for bed time.

Best,
Almond Eyes

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Will probably do a little Baggying this evening.

Will spritz with Afroveda's Blueberry & Pomegranate Spritz and then apply a little CC's Naturals Rice Milk on my hair for a few hours (while watching TV and chatting on here)

So, I guess this is an LL (Liquid, Lotion) But the Lotion has a light oil base.

charmtreese

Will probably do a little Baggying this evening.

Will spritz with Afroveda's Blueberry & Pomegranate Spritz and then apply a little CC's Naturals Rice Milk on my hair for a few hours (while watching TV and chatting on here)

So, I guess this is an LL (Liquid, Lotion) But the Lotion has a light oil base.

I bought the As I Am cocoshea spray recently and so far I like it for the L step. I'm also revisiting WGHO...yesterday I used this combo with the baggy and my hair felt great!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I bought the As I Am cocoshea spray recently and so far I like it for the L step. I'm also revisiting WGHO...yesterday I used this combo with the baggy and my hair felt great!

@charmtreese

Sound nice. :yep:

The Only As I Am products I've tried is the Cowash & the Cleansing Pudding. (Love them both)

Will file this one away for future use. Thanks!:grin:

There is nothing like a good Baggy Combo!:love3:

moneychaser

I need to eat lunch....

I think you may be on to something with dealing with the aloe vera juice!!!
http://www.naturalartmaven.com/natural-hair/step-away-from-the-oil

niknakmac

I tend to do LCB. My butter mix is homemade and does contain coconut oil and olive oil. For my The LCB really keeps my hair moisturized all week if it is in a protective style. Which it usually is for at least 4-5 days. If I wear my hair in an out style I have to moisturize much more often, every night or every other night when prepping it for the net day hair. I find that in the winter the LCB process is essential for me however in the summer I can skip the cream and just do LB and my hair will still remain soft and mosturized.

Oh and my hair is 4abc.

snoop

Since this thread started I've reduced then eliminated oil from my routine. I've found that with the regular water rinses I've not had the need to add oil to my routine.

(Un)fortunately, winter has been mild so far so I haven't had a chance to see what frequent washes or no oil would be like at -10C, but I think it will work. I'll update again in a few weeks.

snookes

I completely agree, I think the thing that helped me the most was when I stopped listening to natural blogs and videos that had no adequate science backing it so essentially it was all speculation. My hair did a 180 when I stopped listening to most naturals including no more cowashing, stronger protein with hydrolyzed proteins, stopped sealing just using a dab of oil here and there, learning water is not my best friend, and not moisturizing daily

Sometimes, I feel like if you have to defer to the LOC method, you need to find a better leave in or use a better protein treatment so you hair can hold water better.
You know what I agree and can definitely relate. And also agree if you use a better conditioner, leave in the hair should stay moist longer

snookes

@almond eyes

For me, and my hair, a few hours under a Baggy (GHE) with an LBO or LCO works out perfectly for me.

I never end up "soggy" or with a feeling of over moisturization.

It isn't something I do overnight or in excess, so it is my 'happy medium'
I love doing the GHE much better than the baggying. But it does still make my stretched hairstyle shrink so have stopped for that reason, but I do miss it

snoop

Since this thread started I've reduced then eliminated oil from my routine. I've found that with the regular water rinses I've not had the need to add oil to my routine.

(Un)fortunately, winter has been mild so far so I haven't had a chance to see what frequent washes or no oil would be like at -10C, but I think it will work. I'll update again in a few weeks.

I'm just updating as promised. This winter was pretty mild, but I went with no oil all winter (with the except of one mayo+oils DC that I did a few weeks ago.) I have found that not using oil didn't make a difference to my hair -- i.e. my hair wasn't dried out. I now just spritz and use my leave-in cream -- L and C, no O. For now, I have no intentions of adding them back to my regimen.

KaciaLN12

Reading this thread, I think the OP kind of has a point. But I only layer products once a week when I wash my hair. I do add a serum or oil for extra shine and lubrication, not necessarily moisture. I have very cottony, naturally frizzy hair so that oil/serum gives me shine and lubricates my strands so they can slide around each other instead of sticking to each other and tangling like Velcro. It definitely helps my ends not get as tangled because my hair is pretty long (grazing WL) but the shrinkage is so real, it usually ends up around my collar area and I like to wear my hair down a lot. The oil/serum helps my ends to not get so tangled and split from rubbing against my collar. But during the week, I usually just spritz with conditioner water. I only use extra product if I absolutely have to. I may add extra oil or serum if my ends feel very tangled, not for moisture but for the lubrication.

almond eyes

Co signing, I use extra oil only for the lubrication/stretching (for me that's when I am styling my hair) and not for the moisture or to seal moisture. But when I keep my hair in a protective style or to refresh in the evening I just stick to my leave in conditioner product/water.

My hair is fine, frizz, low porosity.

Best,
Almond Eyes