The Official Sew-In Thread!

This is going to be the thread you come to if you have any questions about sew ins!
I'm going to be doing my first sew in tommorow I'm only going to be doiing 3 to 5 tracks but still lol!:grin:
and I need tips on how to install it and take care of it and how to prep my hair for it?
anything dealing with SEW INS can and will be discussed!

Start Posting!:grin:

Teja

This is going to be the thread you come to if you have any questions about sew ins!
I'm going to be doing my first sew in tommorow I'm only going to be doiing 3 to 5 tracks but still lol!:grin:
and I need tips on how to install it and take care of it and how to prep my hair for it?
anything dealing with SEW INS can and will be discussed!

Start Posting!:grin:

Hey,

So if you are going to just get a couple of tracks sewn in I suggest that you get them installed right at the back of your head to make your hair appear longer.I guess you should treat the hair like its yours, use very little product on in so it can stay light and look natural...At night just bun your hair and tie with scarf!
You can also set the hair which will give it extra body and makes it look really nice!
HTH

Ediese

Great thread! We should post pics of our installs in here too. I'll post pics of my kinky curly when I wash it in a couple hours.

BlackGeisha

If your going to sew it in, I don't think 3-5 tracks will be enough are you planning on braiding up your whole head???

BlackGeisha

ok, because she asked "what about the sides?" and I was thinking it depended on where she was putting the tracks. If she braids the back of her hair and puts the tracks toward the back of her hair then the top and sides if her real hair will be left out and showing. She would then style and blend her real hair w/ the weave. Ok, I hope this helps you needshealthnlength.

Also needshealthnlength, you asked how to prep. 1. I usually prep my hair by washing and deep conditioning it. I don't worry about flat ironing or anything since it all goes up into cornrows. In your case this will be different alot of your real hair will be out you will take the steps to style it however you normally style your hair.

2. When I braid up my hair I use braiding weave, the loose kinky kind used for braids, to protect my real hair. I don't know if step 2. applies in your case since your not doing a full head sew in.

3. Once it's in I use an applicator bottle to apply moisturizer and growth aids to my hair between the tracks.

Hopefully some of the other ladies will state what they do to prep to give you more ideas/options.

sydwrites

I've never had just a few tracks sewn in but I use to get a few tracks glued in back in the day and it really helped my hair hold a curl longer and since my hair was thinner it made it look thicker and healthy. Make sure to deep condition beforehand; I'd do at least a light protein before the braids. Depending on your style you can cross wrap or pin curl at night and be good to go. I have pics of all kinds of installs in my Picture Album and my Fotki.

Last edited:

prettypuff1

bump.. i have some pics.. i am staying weaved up for the next year

here are some pics

it is a full weave with no hair out.. woo hoo

sydwrites

Very nice, prettypuff, this looks very natural especially since its no hair left out, that usually gets most but you pull it off beautifully. Its the best protective style because you can keep your hair healthy and look great while doing it.

remnant

:up: Prettypuff1 it looks very natural can you give me some tips, I want mine to be as natural looking as yours

leona2025

bump.. i have some pics.. i am staying weaved up for the next year

here are some pics

it is a full weave with no hair out.. woo hoo

This is so pretty and it does look natural. I would like to get a sew in or quick weave, but I don't want any hair out and I don't want it to look wiggy and I also want it cut into a medium bob. What brand of hair did you use for this and how much did it cost? How long does it stay looking so fresh and new before you have to replace it?

Mo96

Prettypuff - That's beautiful! What type of hair did you use? (Type & inches) Gosh, I miss my weave!

IndianAngel22

Ugh I need to leave this thread. I was weaved up for almost 4 years of my life straight and finally got out of them by making my own clip ins. They have definatly been working and my hair is getting healthier day by day. The sew ins ruined me. Let me leave before I see some pretty pictures and want to get another one. *RUNS*

prettypuff1

This is so pretty and it does look natural. I would like to get a sew in or quick weave, but I don't want any hair out and I don't want it to look wiggy and I also want it cut into a medium bob. What brand of hair did you use for this and how much did it cost? How long does it stay looking so fresh and new before you have to replace it?

i used senghori shells which is an online vendor. they use indian hair and then process it to mimic the relaxed texture. I paid about $87 per pack for 14 inch hair. It should last me about 3 installs before i replace it. I am going to wear sewins exclusively for the next year so i am going to invest in some Extensions plus hair next go round.

prettypuff1

ETA-

I didnt use a closure and my stylist did my weave.. But if you ladies want her info i will definitely give it to you :)

KeraKrazy

Thickness before length
Does anyone know of any types of thread which are less damaging than regular cheap weaving thread I find that adding hair to my cornrows underneathe the weave dries out my own hair so I'm trying to find another way to minimize damage from the thread?

sheba1

Does anyone know of any types of thread which are less damaging than regular cheap weaving thread I find that adding hair to my cornrows underneathe the weave dries out my own hair so I'm trying to find another way to minimize damage from the thread?

Have you ever removed the alkaline base on the hair that's added to your hair? Once I tried this, it was much easier to keep my natural hair moisturized with added hair.

To remove the alkaline base, follow the instructions in the following vid: http://growafrohairlong.com/videoplaits.html

the vid is an instructional vid on adding braid extensions to the hair, but the alkaline base part is near the beginning.