The Official Hair Steam, Steaming, and Steamer Thread

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Oh, it's ON now! My steamer just arrived! :yay: At my first opportunity, I'm on it! :woohoo2:

fluffyforever

i'm trying to stick it out with mine since i spent so much money on it. i just can't get that moisturizing softness. it does open my scalp's pores, which helps me get it clean, but as for my hair, :nono:

Yep, I'm doing the same thing. I have used it twice so far and I haven't noticed a difference or any softness. I can't even feel it on my scalp.

I figure I'll keep using it with different conditioners to see if that helps. The first time I used a cholesterol with protein. The second time I used a Giovanni condish (it has protein too). Next weekend, I plan on using a moisturizing condish without protein. We will see how my hair feels afterwards.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I used my new steamer for the first time last night and I have just one word: HOT!!!

I washed my hair, then used the steamer to dc. I hate to sound like a punk but, I had to keep opening the hood to let the top of my head cool off. (Then again, I can't stay in a steam room or a hot shower too long either. :lachen:) How long are you ladies steaming?

healthynhappy

Ladies who love their steamer - which kind do you have?

I just got the Sams Club steamer in and the steam wasn't strong enough for me. However, when I rinsed the conditioner from my hair, it was extremely soft. But then I washed my hair and conditioned it afterwards and my hair was just okay.

I think next time I will wash my hair first, condition under the steamer and just rinse and keep it moving.

Lissa0821

I used my new steamer for the first time last night and I have just one word: HOT!!!

I washed my hair, then used the steamer to dc. I hate to sound like a punk but, I had to keep opening the hood to let the top of my head cool off. (Then again, I can't stay in a steam room or a hot shower too long either. :lachen:) How long are you ladies steaming?

I know what you mean, I have had my steamer a little over a year and I still have to open the vent at least halfway through or even lift the hood. That joker is hot, if I did see or feel the benefit I would not use it all. I steam once a week for thirty minutes and I still lift that hood or open the vent at least once or twice every time.

Lissa0821

Yep, I'm doing the same thing. I have used it twice so far and I haven't noticed a difference or any softness. I can't even feel it on my scalp.

I figure I'll keep using it with different conditioners to see if that helps. The first time I used a cholesterol with protein. The second time I used a Giovanni condish (it has protein too). Next weekend, I plan on using a moisturizing condish without protein. We will see how my hair feels afterwards.

The conditioner you use really make a difference as well. I personally do not steam with any kind of protein conditioner. Each time I have my hair has this weird hard feeling unless I used a moisturizing conditioner which does not work well for me because my hair is fine. For a while I tried to put a little coconut oil mixed with my conditioner and had the same issue.

Now I only use moisturizing conditioner with the steamer and I love the results. To keep my hair from getting too mushy, I will prepoo with coconut oil then wash followed by a trip under the steamer.

I have tried several conditioners but my all time favorite is Dark and Lovely extreme moistures (I can 't remember the exact name but if comes in tub container) and Narobi's conditioner. This has been the best stretch so far me. I plan to cut back on steaming to every other week since I will start cowahing more often for the summer.

kriolagirl

The conditioner you use really make a difference as well. I personally do not steam with any kind of protein conditioner. Each time I have my hair has this weird hard feeling unless I used a moisturizing conditioner which does not work well for me because my hair is fine. For a while I tried to put a little coconut oil mixed with my conditioner and had the same issue.

Now I only use moisturizing conditioner with the steamer and I love the results. To keep my hair from getting too mushy, I will prepoo with coconut oil then wash followed by a trip under the steamer.

I have tried several conditioners but my all time favorite is Dark and Lovely extreme moistures (I can 't remember the exact name but if comes in tub container) and Narobi's conditioner. This has been the best stretch so far me. I plan to cut back on steaming to every other week since I will start cowahing more often for the summer.

Great insight. I was having the same issue and realized that I didn't love the effect with protein conditioners. I just steamed last week with silk elements oilve oil DC and could tell the difference immediately.

lolascurls

I got my steamer last week and tried it even though my hair is still in a crochet braid style! I love it! My hair was softer and it heats up really quickly!
I will be using this more and I can't wait to take down the crochet braids this weekend so I can go crazy steaming! :) :yay:

Shay72

Natural, 4A

I steam for over an hour. I've been steaming for nearly a year now I think. It took some getting used to because I thought my head was on fire. I always have the vent open bc I tried it once with the vent closed :nono:.

Ladies who love their steamer - which kind do you have?

I just got the Sams Club steamer in and the steam wasn't strong enough for me. However, when I rinsed the conditioner from my hair, it was extremely soft. But then I washed my hair and conditioned it afterwards and my hair was just okay.

I think next time I will wash my hair first, condition under the steamer and just rinse and keep it moving.
I have the original steamer that Salonrus was selling.

LushLox

Don't you guys have a thermostat on your steamer so you can control the level of heat? Or is there only one or two heat options? I like that on mine I can set it to a very minimal level of steam to blistering hot steam if I wanted to - not that I ever do the latter, I just find a happy medium.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Don't you guys have a thermostat on your steamer so you can control the level of heat? Or is there only one or two heat options? I like that on mine I can set it to a very minimal level of steam to blistering hot steam if I wanted to - not that I ever do the latter, I just find a happy medium.
No thermostat. Just two settings--I or II. I always use II. I'm not sure I've ever tried I.

sqzbly1908

Girl no...it is just an off/on switch and a timer.....

NJoy

Here I grow again!

No thermostat. I'll adjust. I think I had the hood down too low on my head, trying to make sure that I got the full effect. Oh, I got the full effect alright. :lachen:

soulfusion

lol! That's me .. always trying to get the maximum effect. I'm doing my first post-BKT steam and I had the hood all jammed down. Uh ... no. I had to push that hood up a bit because I only have the on/off switch & timer and it was a bit too intense. :look:

No thermostat. I'll adjust. I think I had the hood down too low on my head, trying to make sure that I got the full effect. Oh, I got the full effect alright. :lachen:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
lol! That's me .. always trying to get the maximum effect. I'm doing my first post-BKT steam and I had the hood all jammed down. Uh ... no. I had to push that hood up a bit because I only have the on/off switch & timer and it was a bit too intense. :look:

Exactly! :lachen::lachen: Sounds like I have the same one. I'll do better next time. :nervous2:

blackbarbie986

Here I was thinking I'm the only getting the hot head from the steamer, since I never heard anyone else mention it. Can only stand about 15 mins at a time, will have to open the vents to see if that helps. I'm trying to steam for a hour.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Awe sookie sookie! I've got it now. I'm steaming as I type this. The hood WAS too low. If my eyebrows are under the hood getting a steaming, it's too low. :lachen: So far I've been steaming for about 20 mins and it feels great! Night and day, I tell ya!

I've coated my hair in a coconut oil/cholesterol/Silicon Mix/honey mixture. Last time I used NTM Recovery Mask mixed with honey and my hair loved it. We'll see how this goes but, since the first time I've used the steamer, my hair feels different, in a good way.

sqzbly1908

Okay...I steamed with the L'Occitane Repairing Mask for 20 minutes - OMG!!!! My hair feels terrific!!!

This steaming stuff is so addictive!!! My current objectives are what conditioner I will use next time I get under there....(lol)

*Thanks IDTH!!!*

Sapphire_chic

oooh how I wish i could get a steamer...will just have to settle for boiled water, a bowl and a towel lol its sooo on my wishlist!!

KinkyGenius

Steam DC QUESTION
I'm getting crochet braids (my hair will be cornrowed and curly weave latch hooked into the cornrow) this upcoming Saturday. I plan to continue my weekly wash and DC, my question though: should I still steam for my DC or should I DC under my Pibbs while in the braids?

JJamiah

I am using mine weekly! I love it Idare convinced me to get it ;)

I am glad I asked for it for my birthday with plenty delay. I have tried several conditioners under it so far. My favorite would be the PC mixed with Ion Extreme Moisture :)

I have also used Silk Elements Olive Oil Megasilk and Yes To Carrots Mud Mask.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I've been getting Busy with Joico Moisture Recovery Treatment Balm And STEAM!!!:lick:

After using this consistently for awhile now, I see why there are 'Professed' Joico-Heads in this Forum.:yep:

It's part of my Rotation. I have 3 opened conditioners (i.e. Joico MRTB, Keratase Oleo Relax & L'Oreal Kiwi Artec) that I am trying to use up before Opening anything else.:ohwell:

*My Personal Challenge* is to Use Up All Open Products before Opening anything New.
And then have no more than 1-2 Products Opened at Once.:look: