The Mini Twist / Mini Braid Thread

alanaturelle

I can finally post a pic of my mini-twists; I spent most of the past Saturday installing these - these are the smallest I've ever made the twists. I'm hoping to keep them in for four months, if not it would just be the regular three months.

Attachments

• January 2024.jpg
    January 2024.jpg
    722.2 KB · Views: 44

snoop

I can finally post a pic of my mini-twists; I spent most of the past Saturday installing these - these are the smallest I've ever made the twists. I'm hoping to keep them in for four months, if not it would just be the regular three months.

I think that my next mini install will be for three months as well. I think that my hair can handle it. However, I plan on taking a break from the mini twists, maybe for a month or so, so that I can wear medium and large twists instead.

alanaturelle

How do you maintain your hair for that period of time?
Every Saturday or Sunday, I use a scalp massager with oil dispenser to massage my scalp, then moisturize and style, usually buns or updos - those are my go-to.
Mid-week - often on Wednesday, I take the style down, refresh with Chebe spray water, light moisturizing cream (Curlsmith's Weightless Air Dry Cream), seal with Chebe butter, and restyle.
Every day or every other day, in the morning, I will squirt in Curlsmith Scalp Stimulating Booster, and their Full length density elixir at night.
Every three weeks, I alternate co-wash & shampoo, and will deep condition as well.

This routine seems to work well for me but I still tweak it here and there.

alanaturelle

@alanaturelle

Your morning squirt with Curlsmith is applied to the exterior of your hair only, then midweek, the interior also gets moisturized? Is that correct?
Sort of, it comes with a nozzle and I try to make sure that it covers everywhere, does it always work, probably no but I just don't want to over manipulate it. But the hair feels moisturized when I take it down Wednesday nights.

Lissa0821

I put mini twists in with Taliah Waajid Curly cream and they were dry as heck after a few days with the cool winter air. Time to wash hair again, think I am going to use Melanin Twisting cream this time.

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
It took two days to take down my mini braids. They lasted for about 4 weeks. You guys, is that a good turnaround? It would be nice if I could make them last longer, but my hair texture and density won’t let me be great. My original goal was to redo them in small sections, but I got sick with Covid. My hair is currently blow dried straight and in a ponytail, until I can figure out whether to reinstall braids.

MzSwift

It took two days to take down my mini braids. They lasted for about 4 weeks. You guys, is that a good turnaround? It would be nice if I could make them last longer, but my hair texture and density won’t let me be great. My original goal was to redo them in small sections, but I got sick with Covid. My hair is currently blow dried straight and in a ponytail, until I can figure out whether to reinstall braids.

That's a GREAT turnaround!! Two days of doing your hair to get 4 weeks of rest! In other words, doing your hair only once a month! Absolutely that's good!

For me, what would make that even better would be NOT doing a take down but instead just refreshing them at the 4 week mark! Then resting for a whole nother month until the next refresh. And so on.

If that's something that interests you, then you don't have to take them down to do your wash and DC. Just wash and DC them in the braids! Either refresh them "dirty" and then wash and DC or do the wash and DC before you start your refresh. I actually prefer to refresh mine "dirty" and then wash and DC after they're finished. It helps to soften the braids and gives them a bit of a curl or some texture.

snoop

I ended up installing medium small twists in my hair. I think my hair got too much protein two weeks ago when I washed it, because it matted up and wouldn't stay separated no matter how many times I detangled.

I didn't have patience to fight through my hair and create more breakage to make my twists smaller, but they're on the smaller side. I want to keep them in for at least one more week, then refresh since I'll be going out to dinner with friends. I'll either refresh with the same size or keep them in until that day, wear a twist out, then install minis. We'll see.

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
That's a GREAT turnaround!! Two days of doing your hair to get 4 weeks of rest! In other words, doing your hair only once a month! Absolutely that's good!

For me, what would make that even better would be NOT doing a take down but instead just refreshing them at the 4 week mark! Then resting for a whole nother month until the next refresh. And so on.

If that's something that interests you, then you don't have to take them down to do your wash and DC. Just wash and DC them in the braids! Either refresh them "dirty" and then wash and DC or do the wash and DC before you start your refresh. I actually prefer to refresh mine "dirty" and then wash and DC after they're finished. It helps to soften the braids and gives them a bit of a curl or some texture.
That makes sense! I will try it next time. With this feedback, I will install my next set this weekend.