The long road to shoulder length.

chayil0427

Ladies can I have a moment ?:violin: :wallbash:

I just need to share my story. I started on this hair growth thing last year, and all was going well until I gave myself a bad relaxer and ended up with tons of damaged ends. So, I went to my stylist for a trim and he hacked of an inch and a half. Well, that's pretty much back, but I still have a lot of dryness on about 2 inches of my ends while the rest is very healthy. My longest layer is about 2 inches above shoulder. Yet, it seems like it's soooooooooo hard to get to shoulder length. And also this intermediate length is so hard to style without heat. Air drying leaves me looking like a poodle at this stage and roller sets turn out tight. I've thought about trying braids until I break shoulder length, but I like the idea of being able to wash and condition my hair well. Anyone have any tips and/or inspiration for this stage? I'm ready for soft swinging shoulder length hair and I've got a dry layered troll cut. :perplexed Its very disheartening and it's hard to focus on progress that I've made with my current regimine because I want long healthy hair NOW!!!

Chayil

Last edited:

Miss_Jetsetter

I totally feel where you're coming from.
Patience is the only thing that I can recommend.
I know that it is easier said than done, but it's the only thing that will get you through the in between period.
When my hair was a lot shorter, I wore fake buns when I didn't want to wear it down.
It took about 2 years, but I finally got some length.
It WILL happen for you!
Just try not to think about it too much! :)

shunta

Yes honey, patience is the key. I know that its like watching paint dry. But I promise you in due time, everything will work out. Just concentrate on getting your hair healthy most importantly of all. I would prefer to have short HEALTHY hair than long, damaged hair. Thats just my opinion. And I personally dont believe in growth aides or gimmicks. I believe if you follow a healthy diet, use good products designed for your hair type, drink lots of water, and exercise frequently, your hair will take off. I have learned this from my skin for example-when I follow all this advice, my skin glows, and thats the same thing that will show through your hair. Im not at bra strap yet, but I know Ill be there quite soon following my own advice. Good luck, girlie!!:lol:

chayil0427

Miss_Jetsetter said:
I totally feel where you're coming from.
Patience is the only thing that I can recommend.
I know that it is easier said than done, but it's the only thing that will get you through the in between period.
When my hair was a lot shorter, I wore fake buns when I didn't want to wear it down.
It took about 2 years, but I finally got some length.
It WILL happen for you!
Just try not to think about it too much! :)

Thanks sweetie. Maybe it's hormones, but I just feel like bursting into tears. I'll try to focus on what I have accomplished ... my hair is softer, more manageable, and feels thick and heavy. :)

Chayil

chayil0427

shunta said:
Yes honey, patience is the key. I know that its like watching paint dry. But I promise you in due time, everything will work out. Just concentrate on getting your hair healthy most importantly of all. I would prefer to have short HEALTHY hair than long, damaged hair. Thats just my opinion. And I personally dont believe in growth aides or gimmicks. I believe if you follow a healthy diet, use good products designed for your hair type, drink lots of water, and exercise frequently, your hair will take off. I have learned this from my skin for example-when I follow all this advice, my skin glows, and thats the same thing that will show through your hair. Im not at bra strap yet, but I know Ill be there quite soon following my own advice. Good luck, girlie!!:lol:

I feel the same. I just use a few products that really work for me and try to stay away from gimmicks.

Chayil

sylver2

chayil0427 said:
Ladies can I have a moment ?:violin: :wallbash:

I just need to share my story. I started on this hair growth thing last year, and all was going well until I gave myself a bad relaxer and ended up with tons of damaged ends. So, I went to my stylist for a trim and he hacked of an inch and a half. Well, that's pretty much back, but I still have a lot of dryness on about 2 inches of my ends while the rest is very healthy. My longest layer is about 2 inches above shoulder. Yet, it seems like it's soooooooooo hard to get to shoulder length. And also this intermediate length is so hard to style without heat. Air drying leaves me looking like a poodle at this stage and roller sets turn out tight. I've thought about trying braids until I break shoulder length, but I like the idea of being able to wash and condition my hair well. Anyone have any tips and/or inspiration for this stage? I'm ready for soft swinging shoulder length hair and I've got a dry layered troll cut. :perplexed Its very disheartening and it's hard to focus on progress that I've made with my current regimine because I want long healthy hair NOW!!!

Chayil

I was exactly where you were and felt everything u did, but everyone is right. Patience is key and it will grow out. I couldn't do anything with my hair. So I just left it like it was, wrapped everyday and kept ends oiled/moisturized. Rollersets are the best thing, use larger rollers. I use to wrap my hair after my rollersets, don't know how u feel about that.

caribeandiva

Human being
lol @ troll cut. it can't be that bad! i'm in the same boat you are. my hair was ear length when i started and now it's touching the bottom of my neck (to me that's exciting news!!). i want long hair now too but i can't even get to shoulder length. rollersets are nightmarish (i probably should work on them) and airdrying does leave me looking like a poodle unless i use setting lotion. so far the only good style i have is with my flatiron, straight or flipped out like in my avatar. I'M LOSING PATIENCE HERE!!

shunta

caribeandiva said:
lol @ troll cut. it can't be that bad! i'm in the same boat you are. my hair was ear length when i started and now it's touching the bottom of my neck (to me that's exciting news!!). i want long hair now too but i can't even get to shoulder length. rollersets are nightmarish (i probably should work on them) and airdrying does leave me looking like a poodle unless i use setting lotion. so far the only good style i have is with my flatiron, straight or flipped out like in my avatar. I'M LOSING PATIENCE HERE!!
I am a horrible rollersetter, but after checking out Lonei's and Isis's fotkis, my rollersets look great now. Im talking about the ponytail rollersets. Girl, you need to try this!:cool:

chayil0427

Thank you ladies --- Sylver I would have never imagined you use to be a troll too LOL. Well, it's definately encouraging to see that you beautifully haired ladies have overcome what I'm going through now. My hair is growing and it's getting healthier ... we can't be macherie over night ... but it would be nice if she'd cut some of it off so I could weave it in :lachen:

Thanks Ladies

Chayil

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I agree w/the patience, and Sylver2 is right about using larger rollers and wrapping it at night. Larger rollers gives a looser curl and wrapping can help loosen the curl. You'll be there in no time, just keep doing what works. Plus sometimes we see healthy hair first then length, and the healthier the better no matter the length.

chayil0427

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I agree w/the patience, and Sylver2 is right about using larger rollers and wrapping it at night. Larger rollers gives a looser curl and wrapping can help loosen the curl. You'll be there in no time, just keep doing what works. Plus sometimes we see healthy hair first then length, and the healthier the better no matter the length.

exactly...at this time I'm really trying to focus on the health that my products are giving me.

Chayil

Qetesh

dont take this the wrong way but why not protect your hair in a bun or decent braids and wear a long wig. i cant speak on having hair that short but occationally i have an itch for straight short hair and i have a few wigs that give me that... i know its not the same but u get to see yourself with it and u are still protecting your hair, :grin:

CurliDiva

I feel the SAME! :( My hair is defintely healthy, thicker, and I am doing all of the right things, BUT shoulder length just seems really hard stage for me.

I plan just to hide my hair until the new year under wigs - I am hoping to push past shoulder length by no daily styling, combing, tugging or even weaving my hair!

Hang in there! ;)

chayil0427

Qetesh said:
dont take this the wrong way but why not protect your hair in a bun or decent braids and wear a long wig. i cant speak on having hair that short but occationally i have an itch for straight short hair and i have a few wigs that give me that... i know its not the same but u get to see yourself with it and u are still protecting your hair, :grin:

I do wear my hair in a protective style. I use minimal heat and manipulation. My point was that it's hard to do other styles at this point without heat, and my hair s difficult to style with my layers growing out. I do not like wigs and false hair so I basically work with my own hair putting it up with clips.

Chayil

chiprecious

YES YES YES, I feel you! I'm in the same situation. My length is and always has been where is it now, 2 inches above my shoulders. It seems after that length I do something to make me need a trim. However I THINK I've figured it out. That length is very sensitive. It's been getting colder lately so I've pulled out a few sweaters. I'm more aware of my hair now and I noticed that my ends were getting snagged on my sweater!!! So I've vowed to wear my hair up 80% of the time and ALWAYS when wearing sweaters and turtlenecks. I'm guessing this will help because in the past, I've always needed a big trim right after the winter.

Oh and patience helps too! :)

GOOD LUCK GIRL, right with you!

chayil0427

chiprecious said:
YES YES YES, I feel you! I'm in the same situation. My length is and always has been where is it now, 2 inches above my shoulders. It seems after that length I do something to make me need a trim. However I THINK I've figured it out. That length is very sensitive. It's been getting colder lately so I've pulled out a few sweaters. I'm more aware of my hair now and I noticed that my ends were getting snagged on my sweater!!! So I've vowed to wear my hair up 80% of the time and ALWAYS when wearing sweaters and turtlenecks. I'm guessing this will help because in the past, I've always needed a big trim right after the winter.

Oh and patience helps too! :)

GOOD LUCK GIRL, right with you!

Yes, I've read the same thing in books and online. It seems that hair is most vulnerable when it just touches your shoulders. My longest layer rubs my neck line...for that reasons I have been wearing my hair up. This has helped a lot...especially with the delicate nape hair...I coat it with moisturizer and gently pull may hair up into a butterfuly clip. Since I've been doing this I've noticed that my nape is no longer breaking at the ends and is maintaining it's length.

Chayil

Denim And Leather

Try to look at the bright side of this....your hair is healthy, which is most important. And like Shunta said, it's better to have shorter, healthy hair, as opposed to long and damaged, so you got the hardest part of your goals over with, and can now concentrate on growing! It does seem like it takes forever to get past shoulder length, looking back for myself, I think that was also the case. But getting past shoulder length WILL happen before you know it! :) Please stay encouraged! :kiss: