Calling those of you past shoulder length

L

legs71

My hair is currently approaching past shoulder length about an inch. Even though I know my hair is growing it seems it's in a holding stage. I do notice my layers are growing out and my hair length is becoming more uniform. For those of you who grew your hair past shoulder length did you find this stage to be awkward/aggravating /images/graemlins/confused.gif?

Boadicea

When a stylist cut my hair to ear length without my permission, I thought I was going to die. I had it made up in my mind that my hair was never going to grow another inch. I started going to another stylist regularly and wearing styles that kept my hair off my mind and before I knew it, it was at shoulder length, and then longer than that.

Grass doesn't grow on busy streets, so find a style that keeps your mind, and your hands, off your hair (I wore cornrows, braided to the back). Condition, trim and moisturize regularly and eat healthy,.

The more I thought about how much I wanted my hair to get past shoulder length when it seemed to be stuck in a dead zone, the more things I did to my hair, which wasn't good.

L

legs71

Boadicea,

My hair is in microbraids 24/7/365. I know without a doubt it is growing, but it's really hard for me to tell it is growing( I know that sounds crazy)I think maybe because I no longer have landmarks to measure my growth like midear, midneck, below ear, shoulder. I guess maybe I need to stop obsessing with my hair and it will do it's own thing.

Karonica

Boadicea is right. You just have to find ways to keep your hands off your hair, but still take care of it. I got a haircut that came about under my ears in '98. By the summer of '99, it was a past the shoulders again. What helped me was using castor oil, mainly. My hair grew and grew with this stuff. And another thing I noticed, was that I actually stuck with this grease over a 2 1/2 year period of time. And my hair grew very long. So, if you do use something on the scalp that you know your hair responds to very well, stick with it! Just things you put on the scalp.

Also, develop a regimen. I usually recommend changing up products, but in this case, stick with it if you see a positive response. Drink lots of water and take some One-a-Days. If I take these, I honestly notice some new growth the next morning, but the key is, find out what your hair responds to.

Oh, where loose styles, or try to. Wet sets, twist-outs are good for that time in between. They are good for anytime. Lol. And stay away from blow-dryers as much as possible. And I don't usually recommend this, but I had a ton of healthy growth, because I got it trimmed frequently. She barely took off 1/4 of an inch. If your hair grows evenly and there are no raggeddy ends, you should be find. Just pay extra attention to the ends. Try coating them with something thick, and wearing styles that tuck them away, mainly in the winter.

One last thing. Aviod SETBACKS! My hair was doing well and almost bra-strap back in 2001, until I wore braids for 3 months. Hair went all gone. /images/graemlins/frown.gif So, do a lot of research and ask questions before trying new things, including trying new hairdressers. They, in my honest opinion, can be the worst kind of setbacks, if they are scissor happy, or just don't know what they're doing. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Alright. I think I'm done for now. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

Boadicea

I know for a fact that if my hair was out when I was a child, it would never have grown to near thigh length. I have a tendency to "play" with my hair when it is out. I'll start looking for split ends, combing it just because, I'll be in the mirror for hours parting it every which way. When we leave our hair alone and let it do its thing, we can expect great results.

Get out there and eat right, exercise, do your job (or schoolwork) and worry about your hair on your hair days (the day/s in the week when you do your hair). Stay consistent and your outcome will be great. Your hair is growing. Just treat it right. Remember, stress is a deterrent to hair growth, so don't obsess. You won't be let down /images/graemlins/smile.gif

leejure

I was at my shoulder wall stage for the longest and thought I was going to go crazy!!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif Finally, by the grace of God and the help of a new stylist and her deep conditioning my hair, I grew past my shoulder stage and currently making it past bra length! So with patience and like a sista here mentioned, not "messing with it", you will get pass this "awkward" stage!

-lee

BrightEyes

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
legs71 said:
My hair is currently approaching past shoulder length about an inch. Even though I know my hair is growing it seems it's in a holding stage. I do notice my layers are growing out and my hair length is becoming more uniform. For those of you who grew your hair past shoulder length did you find this stage to be awkward/aggravating /images/graemlins/confused.gif?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Legs,

I'm in that stage right now! I had to even out my hair because the left side was so much longer than the right. I didn't realize it until my hair was pressed (I only press every 1 -2 months). Since I was wearing my hair straight it was too noticeable to leave, so I trimmed it.

Mine are finally growing out as well. I have been wearing twists, knots, and other styles were your hair doesn't have to be perfectly even to look good. That's one good thing about being natural.

sweetcocoa

Yes! That's the stage I'm in right now! My hair is a little past shoulder length and it seems to be crawling.

henrilou

When I am stuck, I weave. (Or you can do anything that will last for weeks/months at a time) The thing is; looking at your hair will not help it grow. My hair is long now, but I started obsessing over it (I think I do that when I am stressed) I spend hours in the mirror and brush it alot and look for "wrong" things. So last week I weaved it. we both (me an my hair) needed a break. I like weaves over braids because this totally protects your hair....

Ennyaa

Girl I just wanted to say that I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!. I have just recently made it to like 1 inch past my shoulders which is a big accomplishment for me but STILL it feels like I'm not moving fast enough. The thing that helps me is to look at my progress pics often and to try and keep my hands out of my hair. In October my hair was like at the middle of my neck but unless I remind myself by looking at my pics it doesn't feel it's going anywhere even though I know that it has. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif What can I say I guess this is what happens when you obssess.

L

legs71

Henrilou,
I'm considering a weave next month when it's time to have my hair redone. Many years ago I had a weave for a year(had re-done every 3 months), but it thinned out my already thin hair. Since I am now natural, and my hair is much stronger I'm thinking about giving it a try once again. I really believe if I switch to weaving that my hair will really thrive. Don't get me wrong, I have had no problems (thankfully)with microbraids, but I consider a weave to be more of a protective style than microbraids.

Faith

Hey Henrilou,

Could you post a pic of your weave? I have interlocks right now, which also entails cornrowing the hair underneath for months at a time. But I'm thinking of weaving next time. What pattern did you cornrow your hair in(circular)? Did you do your whole head? Did you use a closure? If no, how did you cover the bump, if you have one? What type hair did you use? I'm a little concerned about wash day. I have had weaves before and it was hard to get to my scalp to do a proper washing. How do you do it? How long are you keeping it in for? 3 months? Thanks for answering all these questions. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

OnlyChild

I'm not henrilou, but

Could you post a pic of your weave?

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be posting a pic of my weave after I take it out and get it rebraided this weekend.

What pattern did you cornrow your hair in(circular)?

[/ QUOTE ]

This time I have my hair cornrowed going across horizontally. I alternate between that and circular. It's good to change the pattern when you get it redone that way you don't continually stress the same sections of hair.

Did you do your whole head?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do my whole head with the exception of bangs. I part my hair down the center. I leave that out to cover the rest.

Did you use a closure?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't use a closure because I use the small portion of my hair left out.

If no, how did you cover the bump, if you have one?

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually wear the hair wavy/crimpy, like 3a type hair, the first few weeks when "the bump" is more noticable. That way it will just blend in. (Imagine an Ananda Lewis type look.) When crimped the hair is about shoulder length. Nothing Repunzel looking.

What type hair did you use?

[/ QUOTE ]

I use straight human hair and then crimp it. The name of it is Hollywood American Silky. It comes in a silver pack and is $24.99 a pack.

I'm a little concerned about wash day. I have had weaves before and it was hard to get to my scalp to do a proper washing. How do you do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wash the hair once per week following the same routine as if it were my own and make sure to get my scalp really clean. I apply shampoo between the braids as well. I use my fingers to massage in between the braids making sure to get between all the cracks. It's quite refreshing. I haven't tried anything besides shampoo to get the hair clean between that is between the braids. It seems to work just fine.

P.S. -- I also apply olive oil and leave-in conditioner 2x per week between the braids to make sure my new growth is getting proper moisture.

Kamilla16

I am exactly in the same situation! /images/graemlins/mad.gif However, I am sorta happy, now that my hair is finally falling down my back!! I mean a need about 6-7 inches for my hair to reach brastrap. But, yeah I was stuck right at shoulder length for years /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Karima /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Amethyst

When my hair was at this length I rinsed daily and wore a clip on pony tail. I really believe all that water helped my hair to come in quickly /images/graemlins/smile.gif Water is the best moisturizer there is and it certainly assisted in the relative fast growth rate of my hair.

Lucia

Have you ever tried to watch a pot of water boil? It only starts when you turn to get something, well it's the same with hair. Just stick with what is working for you, develop your regime and do protective styles, updo's(not tight) or braids/weaves keep your ends oiled or moisterized, whatever to get your mind off your hair. When it's time to wash take your time and really condition/moisterize it, trimm minimal amounts, and it will grow. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

LondonDiva

Right about the stage where you are now I literally thought that my hair was not going to budge past that length. Needless to say it go past shoudler length, but it seemed to take forever just to bypass it.

Allandra

Lucia said:
Have you ever tried to watch a pot of water boil? It only starts when you turn to get something, well it's the same with hair. Just stick with what is working for you, develop your regime and do protective styles, updo's(not tight) or braids/weaves keep your ends oiled or moisterized, whatever to get your mind off your hair. When it's time to wash take your time and really condition/moisterize it, trimm minimal amounts, and it will grow. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/up.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ennyaa

Hmm ya know I may try this daily rinsing thing. I moisturize every night with either carrot oil or S-curl but lately my hair doesn't feel as soft as I'd like. I been wanting to rinse more but was afraid I would over do it or something.

free2bme

I just got a major trim so i'm no longer below shoulder length but will be very agressive in regaining my legnth. The just above to just below shoulder length seems like hair purgatory to me. I've been hovering around here for quite awhile now (4-5 months). I am going to be serious with my vitamins, with regards to protective styling, I will cut back on it since I'm about 2 inches shorter and my hair has less contact with my clothes. I will be vigilant with the way I wear my hair to bed and practice my roller sets more. I seem to have less breakage &amp; shedding when my hair is smooth.