The Key to Optimal Moisture? (LONG)

I loved all the info. I'm definitely printing it out. Thanks!!

Owest

So Wavy Baby
Yeah, great post AngieK. It's great to finally be able to identify my problem. I am definately putting too much emphasis on moisture and oil, and not protein

JazzAngel

WOW this stuff is great. It really sums up everything we need to understand our hair and help it grow.

I use to hate oil but now I realize that oil is actually essentil to sealing in the moisture in my hair. Also now I do protein conditioner every week then follow up with scurl then oil over over damp hair. My hair has stopped breaking all together. The oil seems to hold the moisture in and makes the hair so easy to manage. My hair hair looks texturised since incoperating the oil in my routine.

I guess its all about the right balance

Thanks, I will save this information for future refrence.

LaVinya

I believe this wholeheartedly. I use Nexxus Botanoil Oil and it's main ingredient is Safflower Oil and it has helped me and my daughters' hair tremendously.

bee

AngieK, we're still waiting on the products you use that stand up to your research.

Inquiring minds want to know!

Tracy

That would probably be different for everyone's hair...

Great post...I never saw this back when she posted it.

Tracy

Careful though ladies be sure to read carefully and check your info....

This statement is actually false:

[ QUOTE ]
Highly porous hair cannot absorb or retain water, thus making it chronically dry.

[/ QUOTE ]

The opposite is actually true. From the Clariol site....
http://www.clairol.com/Inside_Scoop211.jsp

[ QUOTE ]
Porosity Facts for Healthy Hair

The porosity of your hair helps you decide what hair care and styling products are best for you. If hair is too porous, it will absorb too much liquid, which often indicates damage to the hair cuticle, cortex, or both. Choose hair care products that correct over-porous hair, such as Infusium 23.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not bashing Angie or anything because that could have just been a typo (or disagreeing that porous hair can FEEL dry) but the hair being overporous doesn't CAUSE dry hair. Overporous hair can often not be dry at all, and still be porous....all porosity is are holes in the hairshaft that lets extra "stuff" (moisture, color, humidity) in. Sometimes too much stuff, which can affect your hair product choices and can indicate some damage to the hairshaft - and that's why I wanted to clarify that.

She's right that protein improves porosity, but it's more because it fills in actual phyical gaps in the hairshaft and so there's a change in the physical construction (albeit temporary) of the hair that allows it to retain more moisture and resist breakage DESPITE a lack of moisture. Protein actually leeches moisture from the shaft and must be used carefully.
HTH!

soulchild

The pantene site says this,
Porosity

In a normal, undamaged hair shaft, very little water can get either into or out of the cortex. This is because the cuticle covering the cortex is intact, and is then almost (but not quite) waterproof.

[when] the hair becomes increasingly porous, and water can then pass in and out of the cortex.
Over-porous hair is dry, and tends to develop split ends.

Teva

What does it mean when you hair is over mushy from too much moisture? Does that mean that it's damaged or over porous? Also if you apply a keratin protein conditioner does that permanantly fill in the gaps or is that temporary as well?

Paris Belle

Re: Does anyone have an answer to my question? (LONG)

Excellent post..Saving to favorites and printing information..

BrownSugar

Re: Does anyone have an answer to my question? (LONG)

Thanks so much for taking the time to share the great information. It's like a formula moisture+oil+protein for healthy hair. I was missing the protein piece. What happened was that I was a little afraid of protein (OK, a lot afraid) because a few years ago I overdosed on an IC protein product that I used everyday as I styling aid. So what did I do after I found out too much protein could be drying---I almost totally cut it out. Now I'm back to reasonable protein conditioning. Thanks again AngieK. This may be just the information I need to help me choose the right products to help me get to waist length. My husband says he thinks that length hair will be flattering on me. I can hardly wait.

Leshia

Spagirl said:
Thanks for sharing! Great info.

I don't know if it is appropriate to share this here but it's something I just notice in my e-mail account when attempting to PM AngieK. If this is a no-no please let me know.

Moisture

Hair normally has a moisture content of approximately 10%. If your hair's moisture content drops below this level the key is to increase the hair's ability of attract and retain moisture. This is accomplished by using moisturizers.

Good ones have "humectants" that not only replace lost moisture but actually attract moisture and retain it in the cortex of the hair.

Essential fatty aids (EFA's) are great moisturizers. One of the best and most cost effective essential fatty acids is safflower oil. It is the kind you can buy to cook with. It is rich in EFA's.

The scalp produces the best EFA's called sebum. The problems is once the hair grows past the neck line or does not have direct contact with the scalp the scalps natural oils can not be utilized throughout the hair shaft. You can manually replace the lost EFA's by:

Placing 1 or 2 drops of safflower oil in your palms and rub them together. There should only be enough to make your hands "shine" in the light.
Carefully take your hair (while dry) and "scrunch" the small amount of oil to the ENDS first and work toward the scalp. Leave this in your hair. 1-2 drops of safflower oil on dry hair is so small, you won't notice it is there.

Doing the above as often as necessary will ensure your dry hair will have the proper amount of humectants to attract and reatin moisture. The key is that a small amount will go a long way.

Info taken from an e-mail sent by beautiful black haircare.

safflower oil? Does anyone use this? Will olive oil work maybe? I wonder why they chose that one...

Anyhoo, very interesting...