Thanx to Babyblue and Henrilou, I've Decided to...

Autumn

Thanx to Babyblue and Henrilou, I\'ve Decided to...

..................Stay natural.

After weeks of debate, I've decided to not chemically alter my hair anymore. My last few posts have been about texturizers because I caved in and wanted to see some length fast
. I was honestly looking for REASONS to relax. I can't help it, I want length
lol.

I am in love with several (if not ALL) of the hair albums that's I've seen on this board (haven't had time to look at them all), however, I've made the personal decision to not relax my hair any further. My mostly 4a/b hair grows too fast for me to have to retouch every 4-6 weeks.

I mention these two ladies because they seem to have hair (descriptions/visuals) that is very similar to mine. So here I am, 2.30 in the morning and I can't sleep. I find myself reading archived posts and they just made my decision very clear . My hair grew with a relaxer, but in all honesty, as Henrilou mentioned in some of her posts, my hair loses too much elasticity with a relaxer. Sad it's gotta be that way, because the relaxer seemed ideal for so long .....But my hair just got to a certain length and snapped off. Once, and I mean ONCE, after wearing my hair in a phony pony for a long time, I went in for a touch up and wrap, etc and my hair was almost bra strap length! Yeah, Surpised me too
! I didn't even look like myself! It was gorgeous! Everyone thought it was fake
lol.... But I would be da*mned if I could duplicate that look 2 days later . So after that, I became a 'do it yourself-er'. I hate salon dependance.

I have to add another thing (off topic). Even though I choose to remain natural, I prefer this forum over the 'other' one(s). I'm sure a lot of natural ladies here know which one(s) I'm refering to. I was a member of one in particular for a long time, but the attitude and superiority and downright meaness of some of the members made me become a lurker
. I can appreciate a gorgeous head of hair whether it's relaxed, pressed, flat ironed, texturized or natural
. I love the aura of this forum and that's why I feel comfy enough to hang out here

Thanx for reading, once again. Now I shall go to bed and dream about having pretty and healthy hair.

CocoaButterflyy

Re: Thanx to Babyblue and Henrilou, I\'ve Decided to...

I'm glad that you made a decision. I had a similar struggle as yourself but I found that natural hair is truly versatile and you can achieve length and try out many things with your hair. So good luck

TinyT

Re: Thanx to Babyblue and Henrilou, I\'ve Decided t

They are pretty inspiring ladies. Congrats on your decision

babyblue

congratulations on your decision. Its always nice to see more people willing to embrace their natural hair.

UmSumayyah

Congratulations.
I know these decisions can be difficult. I always think that anyone who is undecided should not go near any chemicals until they are SURE, that way there are no regrets!
I'm anti salon too. I really don't think I will ever darken a salon doorway again, ever. (At least, not for any hair service.)

NubianAngel

[ QUOTE ]
babyblue said:
congratulations on your decision. Its always nice to see more people willing to embrace their natural hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto

ichephren

Wow autumn, we are one and the same. I have also been searching the archives every night til my eyes turn red to see if texturizing is for me. I haven't made a decision yet since I'm in braids(got into a rut with my hair) which automatically makes texturizing seem ideal. I am probably going to stick with what grows out of my head and see what I can do with it in terms of styling before I rethink texturizing.

auntybe

autumn,

I have been wrestling with this for a week. I have been wearing a weave since Feb. So I took it out and spent time with my hair this week end. I had realize I have always liked my hair better straight.....but I like the soft spring hair that is grwoing out of my head. I am getting it pressed and trimed this Thursday(6/30/04)even though it is going to rain this weekend because I want to see the length. I may press it every week for awhile. I feel so much better that I didn't get a relaxer this weekend. I know my scalp is happy and so is my big ole 'fro!
Auntybe

mrstwisty

Congratulations on your decision. I know how you feel. Enjoy your hair and its diversity.

deeplyrooted

Congrats to you, Autumn.
It can be a trial of sorts, but it's well worth it.

NaturalRox

Good for you Autumn - it's great that you took your time to make an informed decision that was right for YOU. Good luck on your natural hair journey!

henrilou

Wow. Good for you and thanks. I have seen some gorgeous, GROWING heads on this forum (and I have been here since the begining)so in no-way am I anti-relaxer. But my hair didn't thrive. It was ALWAYS ear-length, and un-even at that. I weaved it for 3 years. taking it down and putting it back up the same day and not relaxing (why bother) when I finally took it down it was b/s. What did I do? I relaxed it. and with in 6 months it was broken off in the back and I was putting in tracks for fullness. It continued to break and I had to weave for 3 more years. This time the lesson sunk in. My hair doesn't do well with a perm. No matter how much babying I do to it. So now I have been relaxer-free and for 2.5 years I have kept the length for the first time in my life. Even pressing doesn't damage it. So if your hair is not "growing" the answer may be what you don't want to hear... But autumn good luck on you journey sounds like you understand your hair. I wish I had learned sooner...

Kaprice

Good for you!! this is such a brave decision. After seeing some of the most beautiful natural hair in this forum, I'm really tempted but I'm not ready.
In the meanwhile, have fun growing beautiful, shiny, healthy and natural hair..

epicura

Good for you! Whatever your means to arriving at a state of fabulous healthy hair, we all support each other

Carefree

I have my moments with my hair too so I understand where you are coming from. Congrats on your decision!

Mahalialee4

I call it "The Temptations"...I go through them too. Sometimes I want lighter hair (I am brownish red) with streaks (natural) and then I decide I have to go black because I want a more dramatic touch...I just think it is a momentary thing...acknowledge it...think about it....decide...move on. It is interesting that you mentioned this subjectof being tempted to relax or texturize your hair and that so many have been going through the same thing. Today I love my hair (go figure) and have no desire to relax it...2 months later who knows...but you know what they say..."It's a woman's privilege to change her mind"...I get tempted but I would give myself two weeks to really think it over..so I do not make any rash, spur of the moment decisions and regret it forever....like what is the worst thing that could happen if I relaxed my hair?
...that is a sobering thought...because I have achieved so much to lose it like that.
Bonjour

Autumn

Thank you so much for all of the positive support!

I never had such a hard time making hair decisions before I tried the natural approach. I've been natural off and on for the last 2+ years. I guess I'm what's called an emotional hair person
. Some people turn to food when bored or stressed out, I, on the other hand, turn to my hair (shopping is a close second vice). Seems I'm always looking for new ways to reinvent myself and hair is a good way to do it. If I suffer a breakup especially, I cut or color my hair
. Men have inadvertantly been the driving force behind some spur of the moment hair decisions for me. Now I'm just at a point where natural seems more palatable. I can create more with it and with a person like me, I NEED a clean canvas to play around with. It's almost theraputic

Thanx again.

Autumn

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
Congrats on your decision!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Irresistible: I just looked at your album and I see that you went to a Prince concert. I'm going to see him for the first time this August. Everyone that I know has seen him perform live except for me lol. Also, your hair is lovely too! Just had to say that.

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
Autumn said:
[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
Congrats on your decision!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Irresistible: I just looked at your album and I see that you went to a Prince concert. I'm going to see him for the first time this August. Everyone that I know has seen him perform live except for me lol. Also, your hair is lovely too! Just had to say that.

[/ QUOTE ] Thank you girl, i actually went twice....his concert is off the hook, you will love it!!!