Texturized to Relaxed, Or Texturized Straighter?

options

I am a texturized 4A. My hair still looks natural and the main differences are that I now have curl definition without having to do braid- or twist-outs and I can sport a straighter style without being as cautious about humidity and what have you causing reversion.

However, I am really interested in loosening up my texture some more, not only for my retouches for for my already texturized hair. Has anyone further loosened the curl of their texturized hair? Did you use a different product, or just process for a longer length of time? Any other advice?

Hey, I just did this 4 days ago.

I was going for the relaxed look, but I only succeded in getting it still texturized but straighter. This is because I have resistant hair.

The curls don't loosen very much on 4a hair. You won't get 3a curls coming from a 4a. I'm not sure why exactly, but it just doesn't happen. However, you may get some 3c.

My hair looks like loose 3c/4a hair (my natural texture, just looser and lays down instead of being a compacted afro) now and it doesn't shrink as much.

It always reverts and frizzes in humid weather though!!

I used a different relaxer only because I like the straightening power of PCJ more than Motions. You can use the same product. Just keep it on the new growth longer than the rest of your length.

I'm not sure how long you should process your hair, you should be able to determine that because you know your hair best.

Example: If you know that your hair gets totally relaxed at 30 minutes and you texturized your hair for 10 mintues before... you'd only want to keep this touchup on your previously textuirized hair for 10 minutes. You'd keep it on your roots for 20 minutes to get an even texture.

Thanks, Porsche! Do you have any pics?

I am willing to change products to relax, but I am not sure which relaxer to try. I have been using Silk Elements texturizer in regular for about 15-18 minutes. If I use this product again, I am thinking I might get a similar result. I have thoughts about the Phytorelaxer Index 1, but no one seems to have much experience with it.

No, I don't have any pics. If I had a digital camera, I would take some... but I don't.

What's wrong with your silk elements? Do you mean that it's a texturizer, so you're worried that it won't straighten your hair anymore? Or is is a relaxer? I think that it would work either way because it worked to texturize your hair once. If you're not going for the straight look, it could work.

but if you want to switch....

I really recommend PCJ lye. It's very gentle. It makes the hair come out so shiny and healthy. It's also very affordable. Well, if you just want to check it out the next time you're in the bss, it's the one in the box with the picture of the woman and the little girl on it. The one with only the woman on it is no-lye.

Or you can use other board favorites like affirm or maybe dudley's or mizani. Elasta QP is a good cheaper one.

Can someone give me more tips on this? Porsche, how did it affect your hair styling options? Please help! :(

It totally changed my styling options! Going from lightly texturized to more texturized made me be able to wear my hair in wash and go styles. When I was lightly texturized, I wore twistouts all the time. This leaves my hair more moisturized because I'm not afraid of letting water touch my hair and mess up the twistout.

It's easier to comb through, I've got less shrinkage, plus I straighten it in regular airdying techiniques just like a relaxed person does. Even straightening it with heat is easier (don't have to use high heat) because the hair is softer.

Not that I'm the texturizing expert on the board, but you can im me if you have questions. :)

Back