texlaxed vs underprocessed

bebeautyfl

I am trying to understand the difference, when you texlax your hair aren't you underprocessing it or am I mistaken?? i've always underprocessed my new growth and on the next touch the perm would overlap and correct itself.. am i wrong to do that??

lana

I don't think it can be considered wrong if it's working for you. Your hair looks great, so it seems like this is a new idea that might work for others as well.

I texlaxed with Mizani (for sensitive scalp). In my opinon Texlaxing just means leaving the relaxer on your new growth (or virgin hair) for less time than it would take to completely straighten the texture out. I also didn't smooth anything other than the edges. I wanted to losen my texture - I did not want bone straight hair. It came out great!

Lana

ladylibra

i think basically, they're the same thing. i was an underprocessed permie and my hair looked textlaxed... :look:

bebeautyfl

so is it what you prefer your hair to be? If you like it bone straight then it's underprocessed and if you don't then it's texlaxed?

LiLi

Texlax and underprocessing are used interchangebly(sp.) but they are really two different things.

"Truely" underprocessed hair is dry, frizzy, brittle hair. Hair that the relaxer could not "work through" good enough. When people have tons of product buildup (in addition to resistant hair) or don't use enough relaxer, the result is underprocessed hair.

Texlaxing is done on purpose and sometimes not on purpose (which many people are calling underprocessed). A person can end up with texlaxed hair if they don't let it process long enough to relax the curl more than 85% or so.

Tracy (I miss you girl) posted about this several years ago and it really helped me understand what was going on with my hair and correct the problem (because I had truely underprocessed hair).

ladylibra

LiLi said:
Texlax and underprocessing are used interchangebly(sp.) but they are really two different things.

"Truely" underprocessed hair is dry, frizzy, brittle hair. Hair that the relaxer could not "work through" good enough. When people have tons of product buildup (in addition to resistant hair) or don't use enough relaxer, the result is underprocessed hair.

Texlaxing is done on purpose and sometimes not on purpose (which many people are calling underprocessed). A person can end up with texlaxed hair if they don't let it process long enough to relax the curl more than 85% or so.

Tracy (I miss you girl) posted about this several years ago and it really helped me understand what was going on with my hair and correct the problem (because I had truely underprocessed hair).

interesting... my hair was/is highly resistant to chemicals, so my hair was underprocessed even though i left the relaxer on my head for like 30 minutes. :look: but only my ends were dry/frizzy/brittle, which i blame more on the overuse of heat (cuz i wanted "bone straight" hair).

i think i know some people that are truly underprocessed though...

Isis

IMO, those who have underprocessed hair struggle with it and have all kinds of challenges styling and maintaining their hair regimen.

Texlaxing is an adventure of having thicker, stronger, textured hair that's is more versatile with styling. It is relaxing the hair just enough to loosen the kinks/curls but not straighten it. :)

thiccknlong

ladylibra said:
interesting... my hair was/is highly resistant to chemicals, so my hair was underprocessed even though i left the relaxer on my head for like 30 minutes. :look: but only my ends were dry/frizzy/brittle, which i blame more on the overuse of heat (cuz i wanted "bone straight" hair).

i think i know some people that are truly underprocessed though...
:eek: 30 mins ??? And it's still underprocessed ? You and I need to switch hair strands right about now.

I'd say underprocessed is a few steps further than texlaxed.

HoneyDew

For me it is about consistency. I am underprocessed when my texture is WAY different. My hair is texlaxed and I love that, but it is pretty much the same texture all over (except my straighter ends that I am try to slowly get rid of). I can tell that I underprocessed when the newly "relaxed" hair is not the same texture as the rest. It is still kinker and the curls are tighter, not wavy like my texlaxed sections.