Texlax Question

I have 4B Hair and for the past two relaxers I have used Dudley's Mild leaving it on for 25 - 30 min. I am surprised that the Mild gets my hair straight.

My question is: The fact that I am using a Mild does this mean I am now texlaxing? OR Because I am keeping it on for 25-30 min, does it kinda cancel it the Mild and and equate it to Regular Strenght?

Does this make sense to anyone? Also, how strong of a relaxer is Dudley's considered?

Thanks!!

Good question. I use Affirm Mild and leave it on for 25-30 minutes. I still consider my hair to be texlaxed because it retains a lot of the natural curl.

sunshinebeautiful said:
Good question. I use Affirm Mild and leave it on for 25-30 minutes. I still consider my hair to be texlaxed because it retains a lot of the natural curl.

I just checked out your album - I love your coils.. Because I have always used regular, I am unable to get see the coil pattern on my hair using the Mild. I wonder if I only had hair that was processed with the Mild would I see it...perhaps in more time I will see the difference in textures.

SerenityBreeze said:
I have 4B Hair and for the past two relaxers I have used Dudley's Mild leaving it on for 25 - 30 min. I am surprised that the Mild gets my hair straight.

My question is: The fact that I am using a Mild does this mean I am now texlaxing? OR Because I am keeping it on for 25-30 min, does it kinda cancel it the Mild and and equate it to Regular Strenght?

Does this make sense to anyone? Also, how strong of a relaxer is Dudley's considered?

Thanks!!
Texlaxing would be not getting the hair straight, on purpose. I use a regular strength relaxer for 10 minutes total time on my 4b hair. Some use it for less time than that.

I just used a sensitve scalp relaxer mild (Mizani) for 7 minutes to get my 4a/b hair to loosen it's curl pattern. It worked! Now I can wear my hair curly and straight. I also mixed in a protein conditioner to help even out the relaxer. I'm now texlaxed and loving it!

A mild relaxer left on for the full time will give you a head of relaxed hair in my experience. Mild - just isn't as strong as regular.

Do you want a relaxed look or a texlaxed look?

It's really the result that classifies hair as texlaxed. If it has some of the natural pattern left it's texlaxed. Even if you left it on for 20 minutes or used mild if you don't have any curl pattern left (i.e., it's completely straight) then it's not texlaxed.

Last edited:
lana said:
You know what? That makes sense to me. (laughs)

:wink2: The amount of time or the strength of the relaxer can't be the determinate. What if you put oil on your hair or in the relaxer? You might use regular strength for the maximum time and still end up with waves. Right? The amount of time and strength of relaxer make it more likely you will have texlaxed hair. But, I still have some straight sections in my head and I used Phyto w/ protein for only 10 minutes. :ohwell:

Last edited:
sareca said:
:wink2: The amount of time or the strength of the relaxer can't be the determinate. What if you put oil on your hair or in the relaxer? You might use regular strength for the maximum tmie and still end up with waves. Right?

That makes sense to me also.

lshevonne said:
How do you know it's not underprocessed?
Is there a difference?

The difference is your intention. If you meant to do it it's called texlaxed if you were trying to get it straight it's called underprocessed.

ETA: Like the difference between meaning to drive off a bridge and accidently going over have different names but the same result. Underprocessed and texlaxed have different names for the same result based soley on what you were trying to do.

Last edited:
SerenityBreeze said:

Thanks!!

From what I've heard, Dudley's is a strong relaxer. I've always used mild, lye, and it always made my hair straight within 15 minutes. My new hairdresser doesn't even want to use it, because he says it's just too strong and breaks my hair down too quickly for me to get texlaxed/texturized results.

Back