Tea rinsing and accelerated heart beat!

secretrose

Has anyone else experienced this? I am kind of scared.:perplexed Yesterday, I tried the tea rinsing for the first time. I pre-pooed for 30 mins with MT and hopped in the shower. I brewed 2 bags of black tea (lipton) in a big plastic bowl (a large chinese soup container). I let it cool until warm then I poured over my head and added some more conditioner (QP elasta intense) for 2 mins, then rinsed.

Immediately after, I notice my heart racing really fast and I was a bit light headed. It subsided after a about 15 mins.

Now today at work, I randomly got that same feeling from yesterday, it subsided after 30 mins. I haven't drank anything but water today.

I then got it an hour later. Is this normal? I don't like this feeling. It's hard to breath.:ohwell: I normally don't drink black tea. I have green tea and white tea from time to time. What can I do?

Last edited:

**Jade**

I'm not sure that it's the tea... i experience this and i have thyroid problems... the symptoms for me came on suddenly... Maybe you should have your levels checked

Chameleonchick

That is weird the only thing I can think of was maybe the water from the shower and the tea was a big difference in temperature and maybe it threw your body off.

guyanesesista

Oh no it's the caffeine. I experienced it too yesterday. But only when it was in use. I didn't have any after effects today. I'll try using less coffee and see what happens cuz it curbed my shedding by 99% seriously. This is a keeper.

SparklingFlame

I only did it once. Can I still get overloaded from one time? I don't drink coffee and I haven't had tea since last wednesday.
I think you can. Everybody reacts differently to everything. Just take it easy. Try it once more and if it persists, I would chill with it for a while. JIMHO.

secretrose

Oh no it's the caffeine. I experienced it too yesterday. But only when it was in use. I didn't have any after effects today. I'll try using less coffee and see what happens cuz it curbed my shedding by 99% seriously. This is a keeper.

Thanks guyanesesista, I was thinking I was the only one. I will try one tea bag in a few weeks and see if that helps. If not, I will just stick to garlic pills for shedding.

naturalgurl

Yep, some people are very sensitive to caffeine. I'm one of them. Drink a coke and WATCH OUT! It makes me very aggravated. This is something to think about. I haven't tried tea rinses or caffeine for my hair. Might be something I steer clear of other than an herbal tea rinse.

RedVelvet310

Hmm... caffiene seeping through the skin so fast? That seems really.. odd and highly unlikely. Has anyone ever scrubbed their face or body with coffee grounds and had the same effect? :perplexed

More likely causes:
- Were you flipping your head a lot? To pour the coffee on, massage it in, rinse it off, it seems as if you were doing a lot of physical activity during this which can cause the accelerated heart beat and plus the heat and steam in the bathroom may have been a further catalyst to these effects. If you decide to do it next time, try slowing down, taking your time.. no so much Kid Rock rock head banging :Copy of 2cool: :headspin: :rocker: :drunk:

secretrose

Yep, some people are very sensitive to caffeine. I'm one of them. Drink a coke and WATCH OUT! It makes me very aggravated. This is something to think about. I haven't tried tea rinses or caffeine for my hair. Might be something I steer clear of other than an herbal tea rinse.

You know it may be because I have slowly weined my body off caffeine for the last few years. I had been drinking black tea regularly and soda with no problems. I decided to switch to caffeine free soda like sprite and started with only green and white tea as a healthier option. The sudden switch back may have been a shock to my system.

This makes me think that your skin can absorb caffeine more quickly than drinking it internally. Hmmm....

secretrose

Hmm... caffiene seeping through the skin so fast? That seems really.. odd and highly unlikely. Has anyone ever scrubbed their face or body with coffee grounds and had the same effect? :perplexed

More likely causes:
- Were you flipping your head a lot? To pour the coffee on, massage it in, rinse it off, it seems as if you were doing a lot of physical activity during this which can cause the accelerated heart beat and plus the heat and steam in the bathroom may have been a further catalyst to these effects. If you decide to do it next time, try slowing down, taking your time.. no so much Kid Rock rock head banging :Copy of 2cool: :headspin: :rocker: :drunk:
LOL, no I wasn't dancing or doing anything differently. I was standing still and pouring the tea over my head. I have tried shikakai/alma teas in the past in this same fashion with no ill effects. I think the steam may have opened my pores a lot, making the caffeine sink through quicker.

Last edited:

naturalgurl

Yes, caffeine can and is absorbed through the skin. I read it...google it up. Like nicotine patches for the skin, caffeine can seep right through...

myronnie

It's because of the caffeine in the black tea. It can be absorbed through your body, thus increasing your heart rate.

SparklingFlame

It's because of the caffeine in the black tea. It can be absorbed through your body, thus increasing your heart rate.
I think so too.

Usually caffeine does nothing to me but when I did a coffee rinse close to bedtime I was actually wired. I can drink a cup of coffee then roll over and go to sleep so...it must be the absorption thru the skin that did it.

luckiestdestiny

I only did it once. Can I still get overloaded from one time? I don't drink coffee and I haven't had tea since last wednesday.
If you do it again, try for less time. like 3 minutes is enough to have the benefits of caffeine. They say only to put it on longer if you can stand it...if you read the beginning of the coffee thread. Also you can try steeping your tea for less time (less time equals less caffeine). HTHs!

Sorry to hear that! I believe caffeine really can seep that quickly. My heart rate increased when I first tried coffee on my skin, but that doesn't happen anymore. If it will negatively affect your health I wouldn't recommend continuing until the effect goes away.

secretrose

If you do it again, try for less time. like 3 minutes is enough to have the benefits of caffeine. They say only to put it on longer if you can stand it...if you read the beginning of the coffee thread. Also you can try steeping your tea for less time (less time equals less caffeine). HTHs!

I think this is the key. I only had the tea on for about 2 mins but I steeped for about 10 mins. I will try again next weekend steeping for about 5 mins.

NewYorkgyrl

Oh well! I guess I will not be trying the tea rinse. I was really interested in trying it...but I already suffer from heart palpitations. I don't want it to get any worse...... :nono:

luckiestdestiny

Oh well! I guess I will not be trying the tea rinse. I was really interested in trying it...but I already suffer from heart palpitations. I don't want it to get any worse...... :nono:
Yeah hun.

If you have heart problems that are increased through use of caffeine, you must avoid. If however you can tolerate caffeine in small amounts, you just need to adjust. No sitting under there with tea for 30 minutes, just stick to 3, and only steep tea for two minutes or so. Just to get a small amount of caffeine into the system.

However if you're ultra caffeine sensitive it's not for you.

I was one of the original coffee thread members researching all the info on line w/ the others, and I know that the coffee goes into the hair strands, into the skin, and into the blood. The blood is not as important as it getting into the root of the strands as it extends the life of each hair root and keeps it out of it's resting stage longer. It also encourages faster growth.

Unfortunately it also seeps into the bloodstream so BE careful!