Tangled ends

Has anyone ever had a problem with tangled ends? I wear my hair relaxed and for a few days after getting it relaxed, trimmed and styled it would move just fine when I wore it down. I wrapped it at night with a silk scarf. After a few more days my ends would kinda tangle up. I would comb through my hair and the comb would get caught only at the ends. I would moisturize a bit, but that still didn't do much. What could this be? I'm in braids now, but I want to prevent this problem the next time I get my hair relaxed and wear it out.

mrslee

Love yourself first!
CandiceC said:
Has anyone ever had a problem with tangled ends? I wear my hair relaxed and for a few days after getting it relaxed, trimmed and styled it would move just fine when I wore it down. I wrapped it at night with a silk scarf. After a few more days my ends would kinda tangle up. I would comb through my hair and the comb would get caught only at the ends. I would moisturize a bit, but that still didn't do much. What could this be? I'm in braids now, but I want to prevent this problem the next time I get my hair relaxed and wear it out.

I would like to know as well. I have been dealing with this for years! I thought it was because I needed a trim, but I had one and it still does it. I have to be careful when combing my hair towards the ends.

Isis

I've never experienced tangled ends.

I wondered if you are keeping your ends moisturized. What are you using daily on your ends?

Also, when combing with a wide toothed comb, I've learned it's important to start at the ends and work up towards the scalp.

I only comb my hair when it is wet on wash day, mainly while detangling under the shower. No combing again until the next wash day, about 3 days later. I understand some ladies comb daily but starting from the ends.

At the time I wasn't moisturizing the ends a whole lot. I didn't want to weight my hair down when I wore it out.

I guess I could trying combing from the ends to my scalp sometimes. I've never done that.

I also plan to start washing my hair a couple of times a week when the braids come out so I will mostly comb it then with a detangler.

Any other advice is appreciated!

**Tasha*Love**

Candice I don't have any solutions but I know that this is a common problem with other board members, myself included. I remember a while back there was another thread regarding this problem. I will try and do an search and then post the results.

Lindy

This happens to me too... I rarely wear my hair straight; it normally has at least a little bit of curl in it, so when I comb it out and re-roll it at night I was getting a lot of tangling. I inspected the hair in the comb and found a lot of lint balls (from the sweaters I wear) tangled up in my strands!! :mad:

Check your comb carefully and see if that could be the problem. :) I don't think there's really anything I can do to remedy this situation, besides wearing my hair up... I just try to make sure I'm extra gentle combing out my hair...

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Candice, do u have color in your hair? I've noticed after having color in my hair for a while, my ends would tangle and/or matt together easily... mainly when wet. If you don't have color, maybe your hair is just suffering from dryness or isn't detangle good enough. When you wrap your hair, is ALL of your hair blending in together really smooth? If not, that could be a problem too. I'm not for sure but I'm just giving out some ideas for you to think about...

Anyway, to help prevent those tangly ends, rollerset your hair at night instead of wrapping (doesn't have to be a full blown one... you could use 6-12 rollers in your head). Put a little bit of moisture or oil on each section of hair before you roll it up with a roller. The rollers will help smooth out your ends, less frizzy, and more easier to comb out.

HTH! ;)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I've also noticed getting a trim helps tremendously with tangled ends. Now, I'm off the "no trim challenge." :yep:

kitchen_tician

This may not be the case for you, but I OFTEN experienced tangles and jagged ends when I used NO-LYE relaxers. ITA with Poohbear, "color" may also cause tangles. I have permanent color and use a LYE perm and don't experience any major tangles like I used to.

ccd

GIRL, you are not the only one............ I too have this problem and would love to figure out Why...but so far I havent figured it out. ( From these posts I can say maybe it is the NO LYE thing because my hair is not bone straight, I have waves all up and down my hair so they get into one another when wet...but anyway back to the topic)

I do however deal with it the following way...

Like ISIS...I try not to comb my hair in between washes ( 1x a week now..LAAAAZYYY I know) but

the first day or two after washing I wrap my hair then next day style so I have to "comb" *it out ( *BTW I take down the wrap with the end of a rattail comb, then style with a wide tooth )....but once I wrap the first time I don't again usually unless I'm feeling poofy...too much breakage from the wrap and unwrap..... so

*I clip my hair up at night, moisturize my ends ( either with Keracare Glossifier or currently Hollywood Castor Oil...both are light and tend not to weigh down my hair)

*I comb from the bottom to the top...THIS IS CRITICAL for me... even when hair is wet try to comb out like this....its so much easier and less hair in the comb.

*I've also learned to brush ( with a really Soft ( boars head)....LHCF secret :) brush on the surface....why dig deep when its not necessary to style, my hair looks fine with out all the unnecessary roughness)

Detangling Shampoos help, not only conditioner but the shampoos need to moisturize for me....( Currently using Keracare Detangling poo because of my tangle problem

I HTH a bit....I really would like to know the cause of tangles though.... Take care

Cincysweetie

I have the same problem! I think mine is because I don't really moisturize because I don't want to weigh my hair down. I think I am going to purchase some of the Castor Oil and I relax in 2 weeks so I will let you know if that solves the problem.

Miss*Tress

Hairspray (or any other "sticky" product), hair catching clothing, and lack of moisture are usually the culprits for tangled ends when you don't need a trim.