Sulfur Mix keeps getting stuck in my braid extensions, HELP!

I use my own mix of Castor Oil, Olive Oil, and 2 teaspoons of sulfer on my scalp every day or every other day.

I use the Sulfur mix as a growth aid

I find that when I take down my braids all the sulfur collects at the base and makes my real hair gummy and stick together. When I take my braids down I notice it's not just dry scalp, just the sulfur. Anyone have any tips on what to do? I don't want to loose hair next time I take down my braids.

LexiDior

I dont wear braids and i wash my hair every two days when i use sulfur. The reason why you only see sulfur is because sulfur cant absorb into your scalp like the oils can so thats whats left. I would suggest co washing depending on the braids you have or wait until you take the braids out to use the mix.

southerncitygirl

i prefer when sulfur is in a pomade type bases instead of oil. you tend to use less, it penetrates better and no funky residue.

kupenda

What if you pile your hair on top of your head with a clip while washing? Less chance of the sulfur running down the entire length of your braids

virtuenow

Whether hair is in extensions or not, the scalp needs a good cleaning at least once a week. Especially since you're putting [heavy] oils on it. No doubt the sulfur will be more effective this way; and you should get less buildup

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

southerncitygirl

intergalacticartist

I use the pomade shop's pomade on etsy but she's closed till january 30th cause she's on vacation. when i used sulfur oil, even with through washing, when i would get my hair flatironed it would smell burnt. i don't have this issue with the pomade.

i think Coffee and IDareT'sHair can be of more assistance and come in with more suggestions

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I don't have Oils that contain Sulfur (used them up & didn't repurchase).

For me it's too drying.

Sorry, I can't be of any help except to say, I'd wash more often to remove build up.

I have a few butters/cremes/pomades like The Pomade Shop's Coffee Pomade and Liquid Gold's Green Magic both are creamy and I think sulfur is way down on the list.

ETA: Maybe cut down on your Ratios?

Last edited:
I jut started using Sulfur 8. I still think I got some build up though but I believe that's my fault because I didn't wash very often. I still havent taken down the braids yet so time will tell

bellebebe

Washing more frequently should help... if not with shampoo, then with a cleansing condish.

Sent from my sexy phone.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
How much oil is in your base? Two teaspoons of sulfur should be suspended in around 16oz of oil. I think your concentration is too high.