Question for Transitioners who sometimes flat iron....

natural2be

Hey Ladies,

For those of you who are transitioning and flat iron, I have a few questions.

1. They say it really isn't safe to apply heat to the hair while transitioning but has it been a problem for you?

2. How often do you straighten?

3. Do you blow dry and then flat iron?

4. What do you think is the best heat protectant without damaging the curl pattern?

I ask these questions as I did a rollerset for the first time during my transition and I liked the way it came out. I was curious about flat ironing as I am curious about the length and versatility. I am a little frightened as I flat ironed throughout my first transition and my hair was always dry and brittle but that was my fault as I didn't have the knowledge I have now (ex. never really used a heat protectant back then.) Any insight would be great ladies.:grin:

Hey Lady! I just had mine flat ironed on Friday and I make sure I use a lot of heat protectant...it has never failed me even when I was doing relaxers on the regular. I used Mizani Thermal smooth...works real good for me and my DD.

1. They say it really isn't safe to apply heat to the hair while transitioning but has it been a problem for you? No. pish-posh!

2. How often do you straighten? When I first started my transition I kept the same routine I had when I was relaxing and DC'd & flat ironed once a week.

Then I changed to every 2 weeks then it was about once a month. Then just whenever I felt like it.

3. Do you blow dry and then flat iron? Yes. Always using my precious CHi Silk

4. What do you think is the best heat protectant without damaging the curl pattern? my precious CHi Silk. I have also used Dudley Cream Press to flat iron.

My curls always return when wet. I'm a 4B

Hey Lady! I just had mine flat ironed on Friday and I make sure I use a lot of heat protectant...it has never failed me even when I was doing relaxers on the regular. I used Mizani Thermal smooth...works real good for me and my DD.

Hey Trey! I was going to IM you about the rollerset but I figured you would come across this thread so no need repeating myself. I am really thinking about flat ironing at least once a month but want a good protectant to do so and of course feedback and experiences from LHCF ladies.

I've heard good things about Mizani so have to check it out. Can I purchase it from any beauty supply store, duane reade, or am I better off going on Folica.com. Unfortunately I don't have a Sally Beauty supply near me.:sad:

1. They say it really isn't safe to apply heat to the hair while transitioning but has it been a problem for you? No. pish-posh!

2. How often do you straighten? When I first started my transition I kept the same routine I had when I was relaxing and DC'd & flat ironed once a week.

Then I changed to every 2 weeks then it was about once a month. Then just whenever I felt like it.

4. What do you think is the best heat protectant without damaging the curl pattern? my precious CHi Silk. I have also used Dudley Cream Press to flat iron.

Pish Posh:lachen:how funny. I guess it's all about how much heat you use and if your protecting the hair correctly.

Thanks for the insight Mook.:yep:

Hey Trey! I was going to IM you about the rollerset but I figured you would come across this thread so no need repeating myself. I am really thinking about flat ironing at least once a month but want a good protectant to do so and of course feedback and experiences from LHCF ladies.

I've heard good things about Mizani so have to check it out. Can I purchase it from any beauty supply store, duane reade, or am I better off going on Folica.com. Unfortunately I don't have a Sally Beauty supply near me.:sad:
I always buy my Mizani from the Wal-Mart salons...a couple of the BSS have it but its easier to get it from walmart for me and not be distracted with all those other products. I think I am going to try Mooks staple as well and see how that goes. I'll keep you posted.

Sounds like we have exact same regimine. I havent had a problem yet and Im 8 months in!

Hey Ladies,

1. They say it really isn't safe to apply heat to the hair while transitioning but has it been a problem for you? it has been in the past, but i wasn't keeping up with protein treatments, i didn't dc, and i didn't moisturize :blush: now i'm doing all of those things and its going fine.

2. How often do you straighten? twice a month

3. Do you blow dry and then flat iron? nope. i don't like blowdryers and i'm lazy. i airdry with my hair separated into four sections, so i'll be ready for flatironing.

4. What do you think is the best heat protectant without damaging the curl pattern? no idea.

stupid ten character rule. :perplexed

I always buy my Mizani from the Wal-Mart salons...a couple of the BSS have it but its easier to get it from walmart for me and not be distracted with all those other products. I think I am going to try Mooks staple as well and see how that goes. I'll keep you posted.

Please do, thanks.:yawn:

Hey Ladies,

1. They say it really isn't safe to apply heat to the hair while transitioning but has it been a problem for you? Girl, who is "they"? Different strokes for different folks. I don't do it out of laziness, but I didn't have any problems from it.

2. How often do you straighten? Once again, I'm lazy :giggle: so it's been some months.

3. Do you blow dry and then flat iron? I prefer to 90-95% air dry and flat iron, but this sometimes turns it into a two-day process.

4. What do you think is the best heat protectant without damaging the curl pattern? Cheap: Fantasia IC Heat Protectant/ Moderate: Sabino MB or Redken Heat Glide

I ask these questions as I did a rollerset for the first time during my transition and I liked the way it came out. I was curious about flat ironing as I am curious about the length and versatility. I am a little frightened as I flat ironed throughout my first transition and my hair was always dry and brittle but that was my fault as I didn't have the knowledge I have now (ex. never really used a heat protectant back then.) Any insight would be great ladies.:grin: Another option to try for straight looks is rollersetting with larger rollers, then maybe flat ironing your roots only.

Oh! One more question. Have any of you ever air dried and then flat ironed?
See answer above

I tried straightening with a flat iron. I put heat in my hair once after I did a bc. My hair just laughted at the heat I was putting into it. So I figured why bother. So I don't put any heat in my hair anymore. But I didn't damage it. I think as long as you put heat protectant and not do it daily you should be ok. Oh and I used Tresseme Heat Protectant. It is cheap and smells so fresh and so clean clean

Last edited:
I flat iron whenever I feel like it & i get a lot of compliments about the health & thickness of my hair. I use a numbe rof different methods depending on how much time I have...

Method 1: Wash (or Clarify), DC, then part into 4 sections. Use ORS Foaming wrap lotion (a little), Aveda Brilliance (a little) and a hit of Aveda Smooth infusion. Clip up & sit under a hooded dryer (pink ion). After fully dry, I spray a little CHI iron guard and work away. Then I follow up with the silk infusion drops when done. If it starts getting frizzy, I use Phytoserum to combat the frizziness...

Method 2: wash (or clarify), DC...then i use my aveda brilliance and very light smooth infusion then i blow dry lightly. while my hair is semi-damp, i flat iron (without the CHI iron guard) and follow up with the silk drops & the Phyto serum.

I don't have any heat damage as I flat iron about twice a month now. My hair is definitely thriving, but you have to do what's best for YOUR hair.

Back