Suave Keratin. . .anyone?

Dposh167

yea i just took the quiz
they said if you're relaxed they don't recommend it. But you can use the other products in the line like the keratin shampoo, conditioner, leave in, and styling products.

kellistarr

I'm somewhat disappointed. I was excited about trying this product, now, not so much. I've done a lot of research from talking to a live representative to reading the mass number of negative reviews on Amazon. But, truly, all you have to do is watch Suave's application video. It tells you everything you need to know, right away. Step 1 tells you that you're going to smell ammonia. There's your red flag. And when you think about it, how is your curl or wave going to get loose without some chemical going into the hair? It just isn't going to happen.

My hair seems to be perfect for this product. It's virgin, no chemical, no color, no henna, no treatments of any kind, no heat, nothing. And, African American hair, untreated, seems to be the perfect hair. But my hair may still fall out. One of my questions to the representative was: What if after 30 days, I no longer want this treatment. Will my hair revert back to its curly texture? "Yes", she replied. Will that reversion be automatic? Or will it take time, as in growing out, like it would if my hair were chemically relaxed? "To your first question, how long it takes depends upon your hair."

That didn't really answer my question. Somehow, I felt like the smoothness (if I experienced any) would fade, but still, I'd be left to grow out the chemical, I mean the chemical would still be there, right? She asked me if I was sure that my hair was not colored or treated in any way. She said this is the best kind of hair for the treatment.

The thing about the many negative reviews on Amazon is that you don't know what kind of condition the hair was in, to start with. It's the same as if you're getting a relaxer, going in, your hair should be in good condition. Whatever you had done to your hair, prior, is going to affect the results of your relaxer. Maybe you won't lose your hair that day, but eventually, you're going to lose it. It seems to me, that many people were unaware that they were putting "chemical " in their hair by using this product. It is chemical. If you're going to do this, you might as well tex-lax your hair. In a discussion with myself, I promised myself that if I ever did "chemical" again, I would also be fine with eventually, wearing a very cute, short hairstyle. Why? Because eventually, I'm going to get bored and want to grow my hair out. Since I'm not into growing it out, I'd just cut it and and eventually wear my twa. But I want to chose to wear my hair short, not have it fall out.

So, for this product, I'm going to do what Keeley A. Markhane, an Amazon reviewer, did. She's had the "real" Keratin treatment done to her hair before and made some really good points about this new Suave treatment. First thing she did, was skipped step 1 and went on ahead to steps 2 and 3. She says step 2 is the "Keratin" step 1 is the chemical, that's why it's skipped, and step 3 is the sealant. She says she got really good smooth results from doing that. So, for what, 10 or 12 dollars, I'll try those steps prior to my flat ironing. Since I am going to take the time to smooth out my hair, I'd like to see if doing steps 2 and 3 can get me, 2 weeks of smoothness, that would be good enough for me.

30something

I was going to try it until I saw reviews on amazon ...I used organix treatment with out no problem..I think ill just stick to that after all. If I'm going to buy a product and skip a step ill have to pass...was looking forward into trying it to.

Dove56

I'm somewhat disappointed. I was excited about trying this product, now, not so much. I've done a lot of research from talking to a live representative to reading the mass number of negative reviews on Amazon. But, truly, all you have to do is watch Suave's application video. It tells you everything you need to know, right away. Step 1 tells you that you're going to smell ammonia. There's your red flag. And when you think about it, how is your curl or wave going to get loose without some chemical going into the hair? It just isn't going to happen.

My hair seems to be perfect for this product. It's virgin, no chemical, no color, no henna, no treatments of any kind, no heat, nothing. And, African American hair, untreated, seems to be the perfect hair. But my hair may still fall out. One of my questions to the representative was: What if after 30 days, I no longer want this treatment. Will my hair revert back to its curly texture? "Yes", she replied. Will that reversion be automatic? Or will it take time, as in growing out, like it would if my hair were chemically relaxed? "To your first question, how long it takes depends upon your hair."

That didn't really answer my question. Somehow, I felt like the smoothness (if I experienced any) would fade, but still, I'd be left to grow out the chemical, I mean the chemical would still be there, right? She asked me if I was sure that my hair was not colored or treated in any way. She said this is the best kind of hair for the treatment.

The thing about the many negative reviews on Amazon is that you don't know what kind of condition the hair was in, to start with. It's the same as if you're getting a relaxer, going in, your hair should be in good condition. Whatever you had done to your hair, prior, is going to affect the results of your relaxer. Maybe you won't lose your hair that day, but eventually, you're going to lose it. It seems to me, that many people were unaware that they were putting "chemical " in their hair by using this product. It is chemical. If you're going to do this, you might as well tex-lax your hair. In a discussion with myself, I promised myself that if I ever did "chemical" again, I would also be fine with eventually, wearing a very cute, short hairstyle. Why? Because eventually, I'm going to get bored and want to grow my hair out. Since I'm not into growing it out, I'd just cut it and and eventually wear my twa. But I want to chose to wear my hair short, not have it fall out.

So, for this product, I'm going to do what Keeley A. Markhane, an Amazon reviewer, did. She's had the "real" Keratin treatment done to her hair before and made some really good points about this new Suave treatment. First thing she did, was skipped step 1 and went on ahead to steps 2 and 3. She says step 2 is the "Keratin" step 1 is the chemical, that's why it's skipped, and step 3 is the sealant. She says she got really good smooth results from doing that. So, for what, 10 or 12 dollars, I'll try those steps prior to my flat ironing. Since I am going to take the time to smooth out my hair, I'd like to see if doing steps 2 and 3 can get me, 2 weeks of smoothness, that would be good enough for me.

Have you tried John Frieda 3-day Straight? You wash and condition, spray it in, blowdry or airdry (I use to rollerset sometimes) then flatiron. It's really great and you don't have to worry about screwing up your natural curl pattern.

Or

Try Organix 14 Day Smoothing Treatment basically it's applied the same way as the John Frieda:

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/pro...d=xlsImpprod3560039&navAction=push&navCount=1

kellistarr

Have you tried John Frieda 3-day Straight? You wash and condition, spray it in, blowdry or airdry (I use to rollerset sometimes) then flatiron. It's really great and you don't have to worry about screwing up your natural curl pattern.

Or

Try Organix 14 Day Smoothing Treatment basically it's applied the same way as the John Frieda:

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/pro...d=xlsImpprod3560039&navAction=push&navCount=1

Thanks, I'll have to investigate these options. I don't want to change my hair, just want to give my flat ironing a little more staying power. This sounds more like what I'm after.

ChristmasCarol

One of my DD's and I use the conditioner. It's okay - nothing spectacular. Only reason I use it was because we got free full-size bottles from their Facebook promo.

You couldn't pay me to use the treatment, though.

Dove56

Thanks, I'll have to investigate these options. I don't want to change my hair, just want to give my flat ironing a little more staying power. This sounds more like what I'm after.

kellistarr,

That's all I ever really wanted lol. :yep: Also, Sabino Moisture Block is fab too!:yep: If it wouldn't have gotten discontinued a few years ago (they brought it back a few months ago), I never would've got a keratin treatment in the first place.

I would say use the Organix 14 - Day Spray in the dead of Summer when it's super hot/humid (I live in Texas) when you want to flatiron and wear your hair straight for 2 weeks or so and not have cotton candy hair at the end of the day.

Sabino Moisture block is great as well and it's an excellent heat protectant.

Use John Frieda 3-Day Straight if you are looking to wear your hair straight for maybe a few days to one week. It worked in August in Houston at an outside event. I was shocked!

Last edited:

cutenss

Try this:

I bought this from HSN. I give sleek straight results that lasted a week. My hairline did start to revert after about 3 days due to me washing my face. I will say that I thought that the shampoo and conditioner was a bit drying. But since I am a WEN girl, I know that would be the case. My hair does not like shampoo. The blowdry cream is a keeper. I will just use my WEN, and the CD Monoi Hair Repair Mask, which is also a keeper. I am 100% natural, with fine strands.

Thoses so called keratin treatments sold in stores are not geared towards us, so steer clear of them.

gn1g

oh boy, let me go find that product. I just put some in my hair all willy-nelly.

gn1g

ok, so what I have is the Suave Professionals Keratin Infusion Heat defense leave-in conditioner. is this the stuff that melts hair. I cant see the ingredients.

Dove56

ok, so what I have is the Suave Professionals Keratin Infusion Heat defense leave-in conditioner. is this the stuff that melts hair. I cant see the ingredients.

The leave-in is fine. The actual treatment is what you need to avoid!

Dove56

Try this:

I bought this from HSN. I give sleek straight results that lasted a week. My hairline did start to revert after about 3 days due to me washing my face. I will say that I thought that the shampoo and conditioner was a bit drying. But since I am a WEN girl, I know that would be the case. My hair does not like shampoo. The blowdry cream is a keeper. I will just use my WEN, and the CD Monoi Hair Repair Mask, which is also a keeper. I am 100% natural, with fine strands.

Thoses so called keratin treatments sold in stores are not geared towards us, so steer clear of them.

@Cuteness did you try this in high humidity? I saw this a while ago on HSN and forgot about it. I know alot of people experienced dryness which is why I didn't purchase. I need to read more about it.

Last edited:

cutenss

Dove56 hi my beautiful friend :wave: No I have not tried in high humidity, YET! But it did hold up in steamy showers. I don't plan to flatiron for another 2-3 months, but I will definately keep you updated. I think your hair would come out beautiful using this :yep: Do you still do BKT?

Dove56

Dove56 hi my beautiful friend :wave: No I have not tried in high humidity, YET! But it did hold up in steamy showers. I don't plan to flatiron for another 2-3 months, but I will definately keep you updated. I think your hair would come out beautiful using this :yep: Do you still do BKT?

Hi Cuteness! :)

I will order some and give it a try when I rollerset. I don't want a flatiron in my hair this year! Our hair is pretty similar so I'm sure it will work like a charm. :)

I am slowing the BKT waaaayyyyyy down. I haven't done a treatment in a very, very long time. My hair got too straight from them so I am sorta "transitioning" get rid of the straight ends! I want something less drastic and permanent than the BKT. :yep:

My hair now:

Last edited:

cutenss

Dove56 Well I think that the CD Chocolat Smoothing system may be an solution for you. Also try that Monoi Repairing Hair Mask. That stuff is AWESOME! I don't know about the smoothing system, but the Monoi HM can be purchased at Sephora. It is on the expensive side, but it is a keeper :yep: