Styling hair mid conversation

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Does anyone else find this rude or weird? Is this a common thing amongst those with longer hair of something? I noticed this tends to happen with certain kind of people :look: because I've never seen someone break out some butters and start twisting mid conversation.

It just seems odd to me. if you want to style your hair or put it in a ponytail do that stuff in the bathroom not in the middle of a conversation.:ohwell: Is it just me?

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Doesn't bother me bc I probably would do it if I were at my own home or my mom's. In fact I do it all the time with DH, my sister or cousin. I just keep talking and styling lol. Doesn't seem to bother them either.

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

longhairdreaming

It doesn't bother me. When I was natural I would pull my hair into a puff or pin up my twists mid-conversation and now that I'm relaxed I don't think there's anything wrong with putting up a ponytail or bun. Now I wouldn't do it at the dinner table but other than that...

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
As long as I'm not in public, all bets are off. I'll comb my hair anywhere if it needs to be combed. In fact, I'm known for combing my hair first thing in the mornings in my office, and lots of people come by and "talk" to me just to see me comb it (mostly men).

Last edited:

nlamr2013

Like some one putting their hair into a pony? No thats not rude its probably bothering them amd they want to get it off their neck.
Once I was in my mirror doing my hair and my ra and rd came in with some mess and expected me to stop doing my hair and speak with them.

faithVA

I wouldn't think anything of it unless it was in a formal setting or someplace else unappropriate (dinner table, etc). I am assuming you are just talking about putting the hair up in a bun or ponytail.

OhTall1

I've seen people style it to get comfortable - like getting their hair out of their face, or taking down a bun or ponytail that might be too tight. I don't think it's rude or weird.

Years ago, I had a dealt with a man that used to start meetings by taking his seat in the conference room, and then he whipped out a little black comb like he was Fonzie and started combing his hair. That was weird.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Ok it may just be me then! I still think its strange. Especially in a professional setting! Maybe once i finally have some length i can sympathize!:perplexed

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Ok it may just be me then! I still think its strange. Especially in a professional setting! Maybe once i finally have some length i can sympathize!:perplexed

In a professional setting or dinner table, etc I wouldn't do my hair like that but at my house yes ma'am. I thought you were talking about in general.

HPG

faithVA

I've never had any real length but I have worn extensions that were only SL/APL and after a few hours the hair has to go up. I can't stand it on my neck and its hot. So I know I have been guilty of putting it up during a conversation. I can't even hear what you are saying when the hair gets aggravating. :lol:

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I've never had any real length but I have worn extensions that were only SL/APL and after a few hours the hair has to go up. I can't stand it on my neck and its hot. So I know I have been guilty of putting it up during a conversation. I can't even hear what you are saying when the hair gets aggravating. :lol:

Okay now I'm confused...I thought she meant like busting out doing your hair? So we are talking about putting it away? If so then yes I would put it up and away anywhere.

HPG

faithVA

Okay now I'm confused...I thought she meant like busting out doing your hair? So we are talking about putting it away? If so then yes I would put it up and away anywhere.

HPG

I don't know specifics so I was just guessing and answering in general? I am GUESSING we are speaking about people putting their hair up at work.

I used to take a religious class on the weekends. One of the ladies use to twist her hair in class. I thought it was odd. No one ever said anything and she did it quite often. Sometimes she would be in class with half twisted and half in a fro. :lol: Life is full of uniqueness :lol:

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
I think I might be guilty of this. I never thought anything of it til now. But if it's odd, that explains the stares.
I'd never fiddle with, let alone STYLE, my hair at a formal event or anywhere people were eating, but beyond that, no place has been off limits.
There's been times where I was a receptionist on a slow day I'd walk in the office with a puff and walk out with a head full of twists. Or on public transit, I'd do a simple/comb free style change... while walking down a street, at an amusement park... It never occurred to me that's inappropriate.
But I suppose it depends on your hair. If I saw someone take out tools and product or do what I do but chunks of hair flew everywhere, that would be rude and gross. Lol

Sent using LHCF app

brg240

i do this sometimes. I try not to do it in front of people because I'm really conscious of my hair/people. But I HATE my hair touching my neck or my arm. So i might need to put it up.

Often when i wear my hair down i end up putting it up in a twisted bun later that day.

Blessed&higlyflavoured

This is a really bad habit of mine. It's really rude to whoever i'm speaking too because I'll be concentrating on my split ends looking all cross eyed whilst they're speaking to me. it also means I leave a wake of little bits of hair wherever I go.

In addition to it being really bad manners, my hair didn't grow for a year because i was always playing in it

ckisland

The only time I would really take attention to someone putting up their hair is if they have really nice hair :lol:. I think it's a length thing because I only find myself putting my hair up into a ponytail or bun or taking it down when it's very stretched out or straightened. When I have a wash n'go, the most I'll be doing is playing with my coils or coping a feel while in public. Though I gone to the bathroom to do some quick twists or put my hair in a puff when it was shorter, but that was only if my hair was jacked :nono:.

I worked in an office on campus, and one day when it was slow, one of the middle-aged white ladies (loved her) offered to cornrow the front of my hair :lachen:. She had an afro pick ready and went at my hair right there at the front desk. She paid no attention to the people walking in and out watching us :lachen:,