Excessive shedding/breakage during mid protein step.

longinghair

Hi:grin::grin:, Newbie here. The thing is I tried self relaxing a few months ago and I noticed excesssive shedding during the mid protein step, my hair felt so weak, was breaking and shedding and it felt like I had put in hair removal cream (hair coming out in clumps). I was so scaredI nuetralized immediately and it stopped. My next relaxer I went to my stylist, and asked for the mid protein step (aphogee 2 min). My hair felt the same way (very weak). After nuetralizing my hair looked and felt normal but I am afraid of the damage. IDK if it is my relaxer(its low quality:ohwell:), overlapping(I tried to avoid it but...), the mid protein step or is this just normal?

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I haven't had any problems during the Mid-Step. Here are some of the ones I use:

Joico K-Pak
Sebastain Penetraitt
Dudley Cream Protein & Dudley Hair Rebuilder
Nexxus Keraphix
Tigi Dumb Blonde

I rinse the relaxer thoroughly before I begin my Mid-Step. Then I apply and leave on for about 10 minutes.

Proceed with Neutralizing. After Neutralizing, I use a Chelating Shampoo (no-lye relaxer).
Then I usually Cowash with a Couple of different conditioners and 1 of them is usually Nutrine Garlic Conditioner.

Most of the time I'll apply Alter Ego Garlic and let sit for about 15-20 minutes.

I then do a Light Protein Treatment & Steam with a Moisturizing Treatment.

The 1st wash Post, I always reneutralize and chelate. And then do a more deep penetrating Protein Treatment (always followed up with a Moisturizing DC'er).

Evolving78

maybe you just need to neutralize first then do a protein treatment, or do it a few days before you get your relaxer.

Shinka

Are you using the protein conditioner that comes with the relaxer system?

For example, Motions suggests using their silk protein conditioner. Mizani had their own mid step conditioner thats neutralizes.

I have done this without problems, but I only did with lye relaxers and use the recommended conditioner which I believe has some neutralizing properties specially formulated for that relaxer system.