Stuggling with Smoking

I've decided to quit smoking this year for my new years resolution. I've been ok so far but I am feeling weak. I've prayed about this and have given it to the Lord. i know that he will see me through and help me be rid of this nasty habit. I've smoked for about 4 years (maybe a pack a week) but now is the time for me to quit. My mother and father (R.I.P) had cancer so I have no choice but to stop. It's hard but I WILL succeed.

Please pray for me.

TIA

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
karmelsassy said:
I've decided to quit smoking this year for my new years resolution. I've been ok so far but I am feeling weak. I've prayed about this and have given it to the Lord. i know that he will see me through and help me be rid of this nasty habit. I've smoked for about 4 years (maybe a pack a week) but now is the time for me to quit. My mother and father (R.I.P) had cancer so I have no choice but to stop. It's hard but I WILL succeed.

Please pray for me.

TIA
High Five and a big hug. Believe it or not, you are already 100% there. You've made up your mind to quit, therefore your body has no other choice than to follow your heart's decision.

Now here something to add:

Each time you feel the urge ask yourself. "What am I literally making someone else rich who could care less about me?"

The Cigarette industry couldn't care less about whether I live or die or let alone have clear healthy lungs to breathe. And yet, they expect me to continue to pay for their mansions, yachts, Benz's, furs, stocks, and whatever else the comforts of my hard earned money is contributing to their leisures and increasing my hardships.

Do they care if I don't live as well as they do? Is the 'deception' of pleasure for a smoke, in comparison to the pleasures of life that I have been affording them?

Do they really care that I don't own a home in neighborhood that I've dreamed of; drive a car that doesn't break down; that my children should have more or just as much of life's advantages as their children do?

Do they care that loved ones will miss me if I die from their contribution of smoke induced diseases?

In essence what in the name of Jesus, have I gained in prospering them?

From this moment on, I'd rather beat the challenge of addiction, than to give them another subtraction from my quality of life. They are not worth it...not another dime of mine ever again.

In Jesus' name, Amen.

Loving hugs to you, Darlin' ;). I'm very proud of you. :kiss:

FunkyMunky

Have you tried the laser treatment?

I know 5 people that did it. 2 of them smoked up to 2 packs per day and they all stopped. Plus, the treatment wasn't expensive. Like $200. You might want to check it out.

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
Sis,

Been there done that. February I woud have been smoke free for 4 years. What helped we are prayer and knowing that I was out of God's will. I found a great websit like this one called: www.quitnet.com. It was a great help and almost fun. My screen name was: MyFathersChild.

PM me if you would like. I am here for you.

baby42

keep you in my prayer i also pray to stop i know it work cause i stop for 3year and then i got stress out and started again:eek: so i am trying again wishing you good luck

Shimmie

Staff member
baby42 said:
keep you in my prayer i also pray to stop i know it work cause i stop for 3year and then i got stress out and started again:eek: so i am trying again wishing you good luck
:kiss: Hey Darlin'...I've just prayed for you too and I will continue. The devil is a liar and your health and well being, he cannot nor will not have...in Jesus' name. Amen.

Farida

I hope you have great results hon'. It is difficult but doable, don't lose hope. If you fall, get up and start over. It is sooo worth it. I helped my man through it. It is still a daily struggle but it gets better. DId you make it through day 3? It is supposed to be the toughest.

God bless you.

firecracker

Stay strong in prayer. I used to be a carton every two week smoker for at least 8 years. I started smoking regularly in high school. I have been cigarette free for almost 20 years.
I tried to stop in 1984 but I gained 20 pounds and decided to start back to lose the weight. The last and final time I quit I ate sunflower seeds in place of a cigarette. That sodium was a nightmare. Eventually I kicked the sunflower seed habit too.
What helped me was identifying the times I truly missed/craved a cigarette and the reason behind my smoking at those certain times.
It was really hard while waiting in line or for appointments, after a meal, in place of a meal, first thing in the morning and when I got upset.
I found something else to do with my hands during those times along with steadfast prayer.

Nowadays they have the patch, hypnosis, the gum and laser. You may want to give on of those a try in the mean time.

I know its hard from experience. You can do it. :grin:

live2bgr8

karmelsassy said:

Please pray for me.

TIA

God has a marvelous and powerful plan for your life. See Jeremiah 29:11, Psalm 139 and 1 Peter 4:7-11. Please don't let the enemy steal the life that God plans to work wonders through. By faith, He will give you all that you need to resist temptation. Even if you don't feel that you are where you need to be, God will bring you to a place of victory if you submit your will to His. :)

I want to say THANK YOU to all of you ladies for your prayers and positive vibes. I was truly having a moment of weakness and thought that one more couldn't hurt. After I posted, I dropped to my knees and asked the Lord to help me through this. I truly beleive he has. I had my last ciggy on Dec 31st and haven't had one since. There have been times that I DESERATELY wanted one but then I think, who is this helping??? NOT ME!!! I can beat this! I WILL beat this! With God on my side, I CAN NOT FAIL!!!!!

God bless you all!

Shimmie said:
High Five and a big hug. Believe it or not, you are already 100% there. You've made up your mind to quit, therefore your body has no other choice than to follow your heart's decision.

Each time you feel the urge ask yourself. "What am I literally making someone else rich who could care less about me?"

The Cigarette industry couldn't care less about whether I live or die or let alone have clear healthy lungs to breathe. And yet, they expect me to continue to pay for their mansions, yachts, Benz's, furs, stocks, and whatever else the comforts of my hard earned money is contributing to their leisures and increasing my hardships.

Do they care if I don't live as well as they do? Is the 'deception' of pleasure for a smoke, in comparison to the pleasures of life that I have been affording them?

Do they really care that I don't own a home in neighborhood that I've dreamed of; drive a car that doesn't break down; that my children should have more or just as much of life's advantages as their children do?

Do they care that loved ones will miss me if I die from their contribution of smoke induced diseases?

From this moment on, I'd rather beat the challenge of addiction, than to give them another subtraction from my quality of life. They are not worth it...not another dime of mine ever again.

In Jesus' name, Amen.

Thank u Shimmie. Your words definitely ring true (especially the part about how I've wasted my money paying for their lifestyle). I have had enough!!!

LadyR said:
Sis,

Been there done that. February I woud have been smoke free for 4 years. What helped we are prayer and knowing that I was out of God's will. I found a great websit like this one called: www.quitnet.com. It was a great help and almost fun. My screen name was: MyFathersChild.

PM me if you would like. I am here for you.

Thank u LadyR and congrats!! i can't wait to get just a month under my belt. I'll have to check out quitnet, casue this will be the last time that I quit smoking. I've quit about 3 times already but I'm turning 35 next weekend and I said to myself once I turn 35, NO MORE!!!

baby42 said:

Good luck to you!!! We can do this! If you want a quitting buddy, I'm available!

vivmaiko said:
I hope you have great results hon'. It is difficult but doable, don't lose hope. If you fall, get up and start over. It is sooo worth it. I helped my man through it. It is still a daily struggle but it gets better. DId you make it through day 3? It is supposed to be the toughest.

God bless you.

Thank you! I made it through almost 2 weeks but then got a phone call that stressed me out! I have to learrn how to manage my stress better instead of reaching for those cancer sticks!

firecracker said:
Stay strong in prayer. I used to be a carton every two week smoker for at least 8 years. I started smoking regularly in high school. I have been cigarette free for almost 20 years.
I tried to stop in 1984 but I gained 20 pounds and decided to start back to lose the weight. The last and final time I quit I ate sunflower seeds in place of a cigarette. That sodium was a nightmare. Eventually I kicked the sunflower seed habit too.
What helped me was identifying the times I truly missed/craved a cigarette and the reason behind my smoking at those certain times.
It was really hard while waiting in line or for appointments, after a meal, in place of a meal, first thing in the morning and when I got upset.
I found something else to do with my hands during those times along with steadfast prayer.

Nowadays they have the patch, hypnosis, the gum and laser. You may want to give on of those a try in the mean time.

I know its hard from experience. You can do it. :grin:

Thank u Firecracker. These are definitely the times when I am at my weakest (I miss that after dinner ciggy). And I have to learn to manage my stress better!

kelouis75 said:
God has a marvelous and powerful plan for your life. See Jeremiah 29:11, Psalm 139 and 1 Peter 4:7-11. Please don't let the enemy steal the life that God plans to work wonders through. By faith, He will give you all that you need to resist temptation. Even if you don't feel that you are where you need to be, God will bring you to a place of victory if you submit your will to His. :)

Thank u kelouis75. I don't know why this part made me tear up a bit but it's what I've been doing. I've been letting the enemy win. NO MORE!!!

Divine Inspiration

I'm late, but I still wanted to extend my congratulations to you on your decision. I will certainly keep you lifted up, and I agree with the other ladies...you are bigger, better, and stronger than this, and you WILL get through it. Just envision yourself smoke free...isn't it a great thought? You can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens you. :)

Divine Inspiration said:
I'm late, but I still wanted to extend my congratulations to you on your decision. I will certainly keep you lifted up, and I agree with the other ladies...you are bigger, better, and stronger than this, and you WILL get through it. Just envision yourself smoke free...isn't it a great thought? You can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens you. :)
Thank u Divine. I know that I can do this. With God on my side, I will succeed!

Shimmie

Staff member
karmelsassy said:
Thank u Shimmie. Your words definitely ring true (especially the part about how I've wasted my money paying for their lifestyle). I have had enough!!!
Hey, it's time for a new purse with shoes and clothes to match...:lol:

:kiss: You're going to be okay, angel. Don't be so hard on yourself. You're still a 'winner' in God's heart and in ours. ;)

UPDATE!

Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

I have been smoke free for 1 month!!! I am so happy and thankful for all of the prayers that when up on my behalf. I feel better and breathe better and I am no longer stressed about the next ciggy. I don't plan my day around smoke breaks anymore and I actually opened up a savings account when my ciggy money goes! I feel free!

Thank you ladies!

live2bgr8

karmelsassy said:
UPDATE!

Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

I have been smoke free for 1 month!!! I am so happy and thankful for all of the prayers that when up on my behalf. I feel better and breathe better and I am no longer stressed about the next ciggy. I don't plan my day around smoke breaks anymore and I actually opened up a savings account when my ciggy money goes! I feel free!

Thank you ladies!

This is GREAT news! I'm so happy for you! :D

kbragg

Congrats! :) I was a smoker since the age of 15. I attempted to quit 3 times. I ended up using a stop smoking aid, Commit Lozenge (no matter how much you smoke get the 4 mg www.commitlozenge.com). It worked really well. They say stay on them for 12 weeks but I only needed it for 5. I've been smoke free 2 years in March.:)

kbragg said:
Congrats! :) I was a smoker since the age of 15. I attempted to quit 3 times. I ended up using a stop smoking aid, Commit Lozenge (no matter how much you smoke get the 4 mg www.commitlozenge.com). It worked really well. They say stay on them for 12 weeks but I only needed it for 5. I've been smoke free 2 years in March.:)

Congrats to you kbragg!!!
It was really tough this week with my mom and aunt in the hospital AND a disgruntled worker in my department raising a ruckus. But with God's help, I didn't smoke.:)

PrincessDiva

Shimmie said:

In Jesus' name, Amen.

Good Luck to the OP . I think you made a wise decision & i wish you well. Just keep quoting " I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me..."
**** In loving respect for you Shimmie I know your intention is well but I just have to vent. I get so tired of everyone blaming the cigarette industry for their addiction. On every pack of cigarettes there is a warning. Everyone makes a choice to smoke or not. After they have made that choice they want to blame someone else for the conseqences. I have had many people in my family die from heart disease but I don't get mad at the pig farmers that got rich selling pork to my grandparents. God gives us common sense. We need to stop blaming the Devil & others for our befall when its up to us to act responsibly for ourselves.*** JMHO Luv,DIVA

Last edited: