Smoking...fruit-flavored smoke,but NOT drugs from a Hookah. Christian Perspective?

kayte

Is there one? What is the difference between cigarette smoking Christians and smoking non-nicotine ..fruit flavored smoke from a Hookah?

I'm meeting a friend this evening at a middle-eastern restaurant/bar that also offers a hookah...was curious..

Some opnions I pulled from the web

I ended my first book with the words "no answer". I know now, Lord, why you utter no answer. You are yourself the answer. Before your face questions die away." - C.S. Lewis, "Till We Have Faces"

Most importantly pray about it and seek the Scriptures for related passages. For example, your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. You are to be a good steward of your body.

Biblically and spiritually it is not wrong ...unless it becomes an addiction. Having a smoke with a couple of friends is no different than having a beer with a couple of friends. It's when you become an addict is when it becomes a bad spiritual spot to be in. I've had friends who smoked hookah just socially once in a while and that;s fine, where I use to live they actually had places you could go similar to a night club and it was called a "Hookah Bar".

Kinda weird I think, Might as well just buy a cigar, they taste a whole lot better. Just don't get addicted, and if youhave an addictive personality it's best you probably don't start.

I am a extremely religious person. I would consider myself a devout Christian. I attend church on a almost daily basis and help out at church alot. I love it. Sin or no sin. I couldnt see myself smoking cigs, although I see nothing wrong with it, its just not for me. But I love my hookah.

IS there a conflict between Hookahs and Christianity?

Last edited:

Raspberry

Re: Smoking...fruit-flavored smoke,but NOT drugs from a Hookah. Christian Perspective

It's not wrong, but if you feel disturbed in your spirit you shouldn't do it..It's a sin if you go against your own conscience to partake. Also, if smoking a hookah is a stumbling block for other believers you may want to consider if enjoyment of this activity is worth confusion for someone else.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Re: Smoking...fruit-flavored smoke,but NOT drugs from a Hookah. Christian Perspective

Is there one? What is the difference between cigarette smoking Christians and smoking non-nicotine ..fruit flavored smoke from a Hookah?

IS there a conflict between Hookahs and Christianity?

It is tobacco, just fruit-flavored. If you don't think cigs are sin, then you'd probably not think the hookay is sinful. It's for pleasure...like t.v., chocolate cake, etc. In most cultures...the hookah is smoked after dinner...friendship etc. It's not the focus point. I can certainly understand where you're coming from, tho. I can say this, the first 2 puffs of non-nicotine tobacco are cleansing to the lungs.

JinaRicci

Kayte- I don't know about conflicts b/w Christianity & Hookahs (never even heard of this LOL).

But this is how I feel: Smoke of any kind is not a good thing for my lungs so it doesn't interest me- that's a health issue. Also, since my body is the the temple of God, I really try to treat it that way & not introduce things that are potentially harmful. :)

Mrs.TheBronx

Kayte- I don't know about conflicts b/w Christianity & Hookahs (never even heard of this LOL).

But this is how I feel: Smoke of any kind is not a good thing for my lungs so it doesn't interest me- that's a health issue. Also, since my body is the the temple of God, I really try to treat it that way & not introduce things that are potentially harmful. :)

(Piggy backing on jina) Or something that can possibly become an addiction.. with that said, why do it?
Thats why I stopped drinking. I came to the reality that yes an occasional drink may not be bad for some, but I figure, if it can become addictive and IS in fact harmful to my body... why do it?
Is it worth it so I can socially fit in or because its what I want to do? The answer was NO! It was hard for me in the beginning to not have a drink when others were, but I had to look at the bigger picture. :)

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Hookahs do not contain any ingredients that induce addictions....just providing some facts fyi. It's largely a cultural experience much like offering tea and coffee at someone's home.

Mrs.TheBronx

Hookahs do not contain any ingredients that induce addictions....just providing some facts fyi. It's largely a cultural experience much like offering tea and coffee at someone's home.

Oh okay, not trying to be a pest but I looked this up and found this "The hookah operates by water filtration and indirect heat. It is used for smoking herbal fruits and tobacco, and is often considered to be healthier than smoking cigarettes, although recent studies have shown that it is just as detrimental to a person's health[7]." http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8214097.stm

I got this from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookah

Maybe this is not accurate, I dont know, but this is what the site says

kayte

I think I was kind of concerned about the Hookah simulating drug paraphernalia

kayte

LOLOl! It's a lot older than that
and so is prostitution~ :(

my point being ..that's not the point,,
however....drug use is as old as time
and a hookah does resemble
undeniably
a drug-bong-using culture

Last edited:

Prudent1

1 Thessalonians 5:22 (King James Version)

22Abstain from all appearance of evil.
Kayte,
I understand your concern and I see GV's point about it being cultural. Like children drinking wine with meals in Europe. You have to pray for guidance and like Raspberry said if you feel convicted in your spirit, leave it alone.