Stuck at shoulder length or shorter: How often do you wash your hair?

Stuck at shoulder length or shorter: How often do you wash your hair?

• 1-3 days

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • 4-7 days

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • 8-14 days

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • 15-21 days

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • 22-28 days

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • 29+

Votes: 4 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mg1979

I’m interested to know the relationship between length/retention/growth and the frequency/infrequency of washing. So if you are stuck at shoulder length or shorter & can’t seem to grow your hair longer: how often do you typically wash (not co-wash) your hair with a shampoo (sulfate or sulfate free)?

Missjae09

I previously grow my hair out from a pixie cut to a chin length bob. I didn't know anything about sulfates and I shampooed my hair twice a week. My hair was healthy and grew nicely. I was going thru some things and cut my hair all off, it was my first healthy hair cut!

ellebelle88

I’m interested to know the relationship between length/retention/growth and the frequency/infrequency of washing. So if you are stuck at shoulder length or shorter & can’t seem to grow your hair longer: how often do you typically wash (not co-wash) your hair with a shampoo (sulfate or sulfate free)?

I don't think it's about how much you wash per-se. Most of us on this board dont believe in the "dirt grows hair" philosophy so we wash pretty often. I think the key is manipulation and how much you use heat. When hair is that short, some people resort to keeping it straight and that means a lot of heat.

When my hair was almost BSL, it grew ridiculously fast because I could bun and because I didn't have to use heat as much to look semi-decent. But I had a setback recently and I may have to cut my hair to neck length or right above shoulder length. I'm worried that I won't be able to bun or do my twistouts because of the dramatic loss of length. When hair is that short the only things I can think of is using weave/braids to help it grow or rollersetting it. Neither of which I am interested in. I would be curious to hear about other protective styles which can be done or SL or shorter hair.

Fyne

I didnt vote because my hair is growing and retaining length.
I wash once a week and deep condition after for an 1hr without heat.
I usually rollerset without heat overnight and flat iron once a week.
I plan to cut out the heat until the beginning of June and give my hair a break and keep my hair damp with wave nouveau and a low manipulation style with a hair clip in the back.

When I did this in the past it grew out my hair. As someone mentioned before the key is low manipulation and to find a protective style for your length.

Fyne

I don't think it's about how much you wash per-se. Most of us on this board dont believe in the "dirt grows hair" philosophy so we wash pretty often. I think the key is manipulation and how much you use heat. When hair is that short, some people resort to keeping it straight and that means a lot of heat.

When my hair was almost BSL, it grew ridiculously fast because I could bun and because I didn't have to use heat as much to look semi-decent. But I had a setback recently and I may have to cut my hair to neck length or right above shoulder length. I'm worried that I won't be able to bun or do my twistouts because of the dramatic loss of length. When hair is that short the only things I can think of is using weave/braids to help it grow or rollersetting it. Neither of which I am interested in. I would be curious to hear about other protective styles which can be done or SL or shorter hair.

ljbee

http://www.hairliciousinc.com/2009/07/hair-question-protective-styles-for.html

Imani

I don't think I'm stuck at SL anymore. I'm right at SL currently and my hair is doing well and I think I will finally get past it this year. I used to wash my hair weekly when I was relaxed/transitioning. Now as a natural I shampoo every two weeks-mainly bc my wash day routine is time consuming and I don't want to do it every week. I use sulfate free shampoo unless I am straightening.

I don't think frequency of washing has much to do w/length retention unless its on the extreme end of frequently or infrequently. Like say if I washed my 4b hair daily it would probably dry out, or if I only washed it every 2 or 3 months, that probably wouldn't be a good look either.

For me personally, my hair can't take frequent washing. It will dry out. Every 7-14 days is best for me.

Last edited:

mg1979

I think shampooing is still a factor to be considered along with other things. I think that washing too frequently can effect your retention because of too much manipulation and not often enough can effect your growth because of an unclean scalp. There are people on this board who are struggling to find the balance. There are some people that may be ashamed to admit that they may not be washing enough, and I just hope since the actual poll is anonymous they're willing to vote so we can get a large enough sample of voters.

Geminigirl

on my phone so no vote for me, but I am stuck at at length now. It's abour sl. If i'm not cutting it, its spilitting and breaking. thats why I think I will make me a wig cause I need to do something.

I wash my hair about once a week, if I blow dry I will go two weeks ot close to it.

Sent from my LG-LW690 using Long Hair Care Forum App

LaFemmeNaturelle

I think shampooing is still a factor to be considered along with other things. I think that washing too frequently can effect your retention because of too much manipulation and not often enough can effect your growth because of an unclean scalp. There are people on this board who are struggling to find the balance. There are some people that may be ashamed to admit that they may not be washing enough, and I just hope since the actual poll is anonymous they're willing to vote so we can get a large enough sample of voters.

But what about the people who have no problem growing hair and they don't shampoo often at all? There are a few on the board and I myself have found that shampooing or not does not affect my hair growth or retention. I feel like co-washing would matter more. Those who may have problems retaining may just be experiencing alot of breakage that would be solved with protective styling and/or never letting their hair dry out. When I was shoulder length, I co-washed twice a week and shampooed once a week and I attribute my retention to the frequent co-washing that kept my hair moisturized and protective styling 5/7 days a week. I've never shampooed more often than once a week but I've gone up to 5 months without shampooing and it did not affect my growth rate.

AlliCat

It took me forever to get past the neck length-shoulder length hump...about 2 years...I was shampooing w/ sulfates up to 2-3 times per week (I was still experimenting with products and if my hair didn't "feel right" i would shampoo to start all over again). Now I only use shampoo once a week or every other week and it's retaining more length and moisture...I'd say there's a trend..

itismehmmkay

I wash daily, but I'm usually stuck at this length because I'd always cut the back into a short bob. This will be my first time letting my hair grow w/ no cutting, even if it's not in a shape. I'll be mostly using PS and grow-out styles lol.

westNDNbeauty

I can say I've pretty much always washed my hair weekly, even in my days of not really caring about length.

It wasn't until I started handling my hair more gently that I am noticing length retention.

drappedup

I've been SL for about a year now, so this thread really interests me. I have varied throughout the year the number of times I wash with shampoo. I've always assumed conditioning was more important?

ScorpioBeauty09

I used to be stuck at SL, but not anymore and close to claiming full APL. I was stuck at SL because I didn't know how to care for my hair, was using too much heat and putting too much oil on my scalp. But I'd occasionally have growth spurts and they'd happen when I went more than 2 weeks without washing. I don't do that now because my scalp can't take it and it affects my energy. Plus, I love washing my hair!!:grin:

Ladybelle

Its funny this thread came along, my hair stylist told me to stop washing my hair so much (weekly) and I was perplexed! Im going to try her way and see what happens.

Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100

Amazhaan

It wasn't until I started handling my hair more gently that I am noticing length retention.

I think this is really the culprit, how I handle my hair. I also think that if I start consistently braiding my hair before washing, cowashing, deep conditioning and before going to bed at night, that this will help me with the breakage and to retain more length.

Sent from my DROIDX using Long Hair Care Forum App

Ronnieaj

I didn't vote because I'm on my phone and I'm not SL anymore. Definitely pushing on APL, and I wash my hair twice weekly. I think handling is more important. I have retained much better since I became consistent about braiding my hair before washing. That eliminates the manipulation problem. I use CON and dilute with water which helps with the drying factor. My hair would be miserable if I washed loose OR less frequently. This way we're both happy.

Sent from my DROID2 using Long Hair Care Forum App

lilpooky

I'm striving toward SL and I wash my hair with shampoo 1X a week and cowash once in the middle of the week. I don't think the number of times you wash your hair matters unless your hair is breaking from constantly manipulating, detangling, and styling your hair when wet. I try not to manipulate my hair too much, so I protective style. But honestly, the main thing that I feel is helping my hair to get past this hump is my growth aid. I feel that if my hair can grow at a faster rate than usual, then length will be easier to retain so long as it isn't breaking off. That's my opinion.

TLC1020

I used to wash my hair once a week.. Now every two weeks.. Right now I'm in bunning mode to get me over the shoulder length hump so every two weeks work just fine..

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I did not vote b/c I am past SL.

I only use shampoo 1x a month.. and only on my scalp.
Otherwise I cowash or rinse 1x a week and DC weekly (on Tuesday w/ steam).