Struggling with your natural hair? Come in here.....

HanaKuroi

stacy I have to use moisture everyday and seal with oil. I also dc at least once per week.

Brushes are EVIL for fine strands. I don't use brushes anymore. I fingercomb. If I must comb I use a wide toothed wooden comb or a jibere. Thus has made a huge difference.

I do not shampoo. I mudwash.

I do not use any miss jessies at all. Read reviews. I cannot stress what a waste if money her products are. They made my hair dry and horrible.

I don't use products containing silicones.

Are you interested in products online or on the ground only?

Why are you using wrap lotion?

You should think about prepooing if you feel you must shampoo.

Last edited:

Cruzankink

What problems are you having with your hair? My hair is not as moisturized as I would like. After shampooing (even with Miss Jessie shampoos), my hair is as dry as straw. My conditioners do not seem to help keep my hair moisturized for more than a day or two. My scalp feels a bit dry. I also noticed knots, split ends, and some strands that are damaged along the shaft. I do not know if this is from brushing the hair before putting on the wig cap or what. I can't blame color, relaxers, or heat. I barely manipulate my hair at all, yet, it seems more damaged than when I relaxed.

@stacy Welcome to the thread! I feel your pain. :sad: These are my suggestions:

Poos & Condish: As you have already experienced, the kinkier the hair the drier it gets. Sulfates dries hair out and silicones (cones) keep moisture out of hair. Some of the products you mentioned are loaded with sulfates and cones. It's no surprise why you are experiencing extremely dry brittle hair. I recommend that you thorougly cleanse initially w/ a sulfate poo to dissolve the cones. Make sure the poo does not contain any cones . Then do a cone free deep conditioner. I use Curl Junkie Deep Fix mixed w/ EVOO. I'm sure you can get cone free DC on the ground but I can't name any of my head. Try not using any poos for about 4 weeks, and cleanse your hair with conditioners only. I use inexpensive cone free condish like Garnier Fructice Triple Moisture and Tresemme Naturals. Do deep conditioning treatments every week but considering the condition of your hair I may up it to 2x a week. Once your hair moisture level increases, you can return to poos but only those that are sulfate free. I've been following the curly girl method (CGM) which advocates co-washes only, and no poos including, in most cases, sulfate free poos. Although I've been on this regimen for a short time, I've notice that my hair is a lot softer and better moisturized.

Styling tools: I agree w/ the recommendations of Darkjoy, Greenandchic and Hanakuroi. Styling tools play a major part in the health of your hair. Use a wide tooth seamless comb like the Hercules Sagemann Magic Star Jumbo Rake sold at hotcombs.com. The seams in regular combs are abrasive to the hair shaft causing midshaft splits. Never brush your hair. Brushing kinky hair whether wet or dry, snaps and rips hair even healthy moisturized hair.

Parting words: Educate yourself. Your posting here is a great start. LHCF has a wealth of information for optimum healthy hair. Also go to other forums, blogs and youtube vdo. The greatest lesson in my HHJ is to always read the ingredients in hair products. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Krystle~Hime

yardyspice

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a fine hair natural on here who has successfully thickened her hair?
2. Will one pass of a flat iron damage my hair? I tried the @westNDNbeauty method (which works perfectly) and it worked but I am worried that one pass could still damage my fine strands.
3. Anyone use curlformers just stretch so they can do twist- or braid-outs? Has it damaged your hair?

TIA
hi ! http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=14841867&postcount=3

My hair is superfine as well. It's the only disappointment I've had with my natural hair. I thought my hair was going to be like this but instead it's more like this but longer.

in the second picture, it looks like the girl did "rope" twists, I don't know how to "call" them. but she twisted every strands on themselves before twisting them. that makes the twists skinnier. I used to do my twists that way (and used to hate my twists, and since I've understood that, my twists are more fuller. not like "magic" but i can see a real difference.

stacy

Thanks for the replies, ladies! I have processed what you said and come up with a tentative new regimen and a few more questions.

Hair Regimen
1. Use only sulfate-free/silicone-free shampoos
2. Use silicone-free conditioners (Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Garnier Fructis Triple Moisture, Tresemme Naturals)
3. Tools: Wide-tooth seamless combs-no brushes (Hercules Sagemann Magic Star Jumbo Rake or jilbere)
4. Hair Rescue: (Step 1) Use a clarifying shampoo (sulfate, no silicones) to dissolve cones on hair, (Step 2) Deep condition (no cones), (Step 3) Only do co-washes 2x a week for a month, (Step 4) Keep hair braided under wigs and do not use wig combs.

How does this sound? Please imclude any specific product suggestions in addition to the ones mentioned so far (ground or online). Someone mentioned having a problem with gylcerin. I remember from the last time I went natural that my hair seemed to like water-based products with gylcerin and propylene glycol because they attract/keep in moisture. Oil-based products made my hair feel "crunchy".

I have a few more questions: What is a mudwash? How do you prepoo? What does ssk mean? Doesn't natural hair need protein, too? What is the Curly Girl Method? No one mentioned a leave-in conditioner/moisturizer. Shouldn't I have something that put on the hair daily, too? Thanks for your input. Others can chime in as well.

faithVA

[USER=518 said:
stacy[/USER];16189203]Thanks for the replies, ladies! I have processed what you said and come up with a tentative new regimen and a few more questions.

Hair Regimen
1. Use only sulfate-free/silicone-free shampoos
2. Use silicone-free conditioners (Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Garnier Fructis Triple Moisture, Tresemme Naturals)
3. Tools: Wide-tooth seamless combs-no brushes (Hercules Sagemann Magic Star Jumbo Rake or jilbere)
4. Hair Rescue: (Step 1) Use a clarifying shampoo (sulfate, no silicones) to dissolve cones on hair, (Step 2) Deep condition (no cones), (Step 3) Only do co-washes 2x a week for a month, (Step 4) Keep hair braided under wigs and do not use wig combs.

How does this sound? Please imclude any specific product suggestions in addition to the ones mentioned so far (ground or online). Someone mentioned having a problem with gylcerin. I remember from the last time I went natural that my hair seemed to like water-based products with gylcerin and propylene glycol because they attract/keep in moisture. Oil-based products made my hair feel "crunchy".

I have a few more questions: What is a mudwash? How do you prepoo? What does ssk mean? Doesn't natural hair need protein, too? What is the Curly Girl Method? No one mentioned a leave-in conditioner/moisturizer. Shouldn't I have something that put on the hair daily, too? Thanks for your input. Others can chime in as well.

Welcome. I will try to answer a few of your questions.

mudwash: Its a cleansing product made with bentonite clay or some other type of clay mixed with other ingredients. I use it in place of shampoo.

SSK: Single strand knots :nono:

protein: Natural hair needs protein as well but it varies from person to person. Some natural heads love protein and some hate it. It's a trial and error thing. My hair does not appear to need or like protein, even mild protein.

I might try to answer what is the Curly Girl Method tomorrow. The answer is too long for tonight.

I will let others chime in on the leave-in/moisturizer.

Hope that helps a bit.

greenandchic

stacy

In terms of leave-ins, it depends on your hair. I personally use leave-ins daily because I live in an pretty dry area (don't let the Portland rain fool you, the humidity is pretty low in part because of it). I use one that's silicon free, and glycerin free for the most part. I do own one that has glycerin in it, but I'm careful when I use it.

Cruzankink

What is the Curly Girl Method? No one mentioned a leave-in conditioner/moisturizer. Shouldn't I have something that put on the hair daily, too? Thanks for your input. Others can chime in as well.

stacy I'm no hair expert but your regimen sounds good to me. :yep:

CGM: This blog explains the Curly Girl Method: http://dormroomcurly.blogspot.com/ Look for the Topic: Laura Lee's All in One Guide to CG or just google: Curly Girl Method. Like faithVA said its too long to go into.

Product selecting process: I don't want to overwhelm you with all the applicable products out there but I select products based on my type 4 hair and regimen: Prepoo, Co-Wash, Deep Con, Daily leave-In, Protective Style. I'd go on websites that sell natural hair care products catered to black/ethnic/curly hair like Curl Junkie, B.A.S.K., Shea Moisture, Kinky Curly just to name a few (notice I didn't add Miss Jessies :nono:). Select desired product based on how it fits my hair & regimen, what it supposed to do, and how it should leave my hair. Then I'd read the ingredients list. If the ingredients passes muster, I'd go to sites like this one, blogs and utube, to get product reviews. Based on the reviews then I'll decide whether to purchase. A tip I use is to buy products that have double duty (can be used as a leave in or deep con or styler) which helps save money.

Ingredients to avoid: Aside from cones and sulfates, I'd recommend you avoid the following ingredients to maximize moisture absorbtion in your hair: petrolatum, mineral oil, lanolin even beeswax. These ingredients allow hair to feel soft initially but works like a cone coating the hair preventing moisture from being absorbed. If I see any of these ingredients when I am shopping for a product I will not buy no matter how low it is on the ingredients list.

CaliiSwagg

I just want to vent! :wallbash:

My hair is so weird.:perplexed

It is wavy until the very ends where it curls into a spiral.
It is really loose in my nape like 3c/3b type ish.
My hair is fine so certain styles just look retarded.
I am style challenged.
I have yet to find a hair twin.:sad:

beautyintheyes

I have a question I just took out an install after 2 months so I clarified and it made my hair a little stripped but I assumed I needed it and I went ahead and did a protein treatment and my hair started to break off in little pieces in my hands just by touching it so I did a deep conditioner for moisture and it stopped but I'm worried if I'll get split ends now? Or should I just assume that I stopped it then? And I detailed before and everything as well

faithVA

I have a question I just took out an install after 2 months so I clarified and it made my hair a little stripped but I assumed I needed it and I went ahead and did a protein treatment and my hair started to break off in little pieces in my hands just by touching it so I did a deep conditioner for moisture and it stopped but I'm worried if I'll get split ends now? Or should I just assume that I stopped it then? And I detailed before and everything as well

Not ignoring you. But I have no clue. But this might not be the best place to ask that question. This is a struggling with your hair thread. Someone in here may know but you may want to ask in another thread as well.

beautyintheyes

faithVA said:
Not ignoring you. But I have no clue. But this might not be the best place to ask that question. This is a struggling with your hair thread. Someone in here may know but you may want to ask in another thread as well.

The reason I asked here is because I been trying to use protien in my regi but it doesn't seem to like it so I'm not sure if I never need it or it's the kind I use cause the first time I did use protien it was great but now I get bad reactions

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
The reason I asked here is because I been trying to use protien in my regi but it doesn't seem to like it so I'm not sure if I never need it or it's the kind I use cause the first time I did use protien it was great but now I get bad reactions
What are the products you're currently using beautyintheyes?

I found that I'm protein sensitive. And have also found to never use protein after a clarify, only moisturizing DCs. I also use henna which has made me even more protein sensitive. A few weeks ago I attempted to give myself a mild oat-protein treatment and I've had breakage (plus my ends were damaged already-it just made it worse). I only go for products that have proteins way at the end of the ingredients list so I don't neglect them all together.

Have you actually looked at your ends? Pluck a few hairs in random spots and inspect the ends to see if there are splits. If you haven't dusted in a while, it wouldn't hurt to take off a 1/4" anyway. That's usually a good thing in the long term.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light

If you have breakage, you now have damaged ends in need of a trim. Just get a light one to freshen things up.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
I'm going to BKT in the hopes that it will smooth out the frizz, without killing my curls. Anti-frizz products have been helping as well....but not enough.

beautyintheyes

What are the products you're currently using @beautyintheyes?

I found that I'm protein sensitive. And have also found to never use protein after a clarify, only moisturizing DCs. I also use henna which has made me even more protein sensitive. A few weeks ago I attempted to give myself a mild oat-protein treatment and I've had breakage (plus my ends were damaged already-it just made it worse). I only go for products that have proteins way at the end of the ingredients list so I don't neglect them all together.

Have you actually looked at your ends? Pluck a few hairs in random spots and inspect the ends to see if there are splits. If you haven't dusted in a while, it wouldn't hurt to take off a 1/4" anyway. That's usually a good thing in the long term.

i used may eggs and honey i think i am cause i dont use heat or anything to damage it so its healthy but now im going to dust my hair to prevent any breakage that might have accrued :cry: and what light protein do you use? i would love to try one and see how my hair likes it!

stacy

Okay, so I used some Mizani Butter Blends neutralizing and chelating shampoo to get rid of the cones (it's a sulfate shampoo, but no cones). I conditioned with the Mizani PerPhecting cream conditioner (only one I had with no cones). My hair felt okay. Yesterday I did get a hold of a bottle of Tresemme Naturals conditioner to do a cowash. It felt great going on and it was so late that I just put a baggie on and a hat and slept in the conditioner. This morning I rinsed it out and added a little as a leave in. My hair felt better, but I will not use it as a leave in again (read this on another board). I will keep it and cowash again on Thursday. I will keep using the Better Braids spray as a leave in (no cones as far as I can see). I will have to figure out what works, but the no cones and sulfates is a big first step.Thanks.

Cruzankink

Has anyone used Quinoa Protein or product containing this protein? Online sources claim that quinoa provides film forming and moisture retention benefits typical of proteins but has also been proven to provide substantivity and penetration of the hair shaft for protection and repair some say even better than silk, soy and wheat protein. I recently bought a jar of it online to aid in nurturing my heat damaged ends. Although the few online sources that discussed this protein as it pertains to hair rave of its properties, because its somewaht new to the hair product industry, they are hardly any reviews by regular consumers as to how it works and feels on hair. Let me know your experience. If not, then I guess I'll be the guinea pig.

PS - At the bottom, my first bantu knot out.

Bantu Knot Out.JPG

Cruzankink

I trimmed 1/4 - 1/2 in. off my hair yesterday. I know I mentioned that I was not going to trim until after my 8 week CGM trial period but my hair couldn't wait. During my last co-wash, I noticed more bits and pieces than usual. Nothing alarming but it was definately noticable. So I researched protein treatments (bought quinoa protein) and decided to do a trim. No, I did not get rid of all the heat damaged ends :ohwell:, I would need a few more trims for that, but hopefully I've minimized the breakage.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Hey give us a review of the quinoa on hair when youve tried it Cruzankink
---

So it's official--my hair can not be wet manipulated. 2 weeks I did not manipulate when wet. Last night I decided to prepoo and co-wash in braids. well, i put the tea on and then started to part and braid my hair while wet. LOTS of little breaks. Didnt have any real breaking the last 2 weeks so now I know for sure.

This is good! It's another thing I know I can't do. One step closer to retention, y'all!

stacy

Okay. I am going to cut it all off (caesar cut) and start all over again! I am so tired of single strand knots, splits along the hair shaft (not up the shaft, mind you, but along the shaft here and there), porous hair with no elasticity. I like the regimen I've planned out but I feel like my hair is just too damaged. I will get a cut and start over. I just don't know what else to do to get my hair healthy. I guess I can wear wigs and quick weaves as it grows out again and implement my regimen on a fresh head of hair.

Last edited:

lamaria211

stacy said:
Okay. I am going to cut it all off (caesar cut) and start all over again! I am so tired of single strand knots, splits along the hair shaft (not up the shaft, mind you, but along the shaft here and there), porous hair with no elasticity. I like the regimen I've planned out but I feel like my hair is just too damaged. I will get a cut and start over. I just don't know what else to do to get my hair healthy. I guess I can wear wigs and quick weaves as it grows out again and implement my regimen on a fresh head of hair.

That sounds drastic:( whats your current length and your reggie? Y dont you try braiding it up for a few weeks then start again when your not so frustrated. Hth

westNDNbeauty

stacy I agree with the poster above. Cutting it all off is a drastic move. I do recommend putting our hair away somehow and then trying again.

I've always been natural, so that means I was natural when there weren't a plethora of awesome products out here geared towards my hair texture. Now the market is saturated with so many products that can assist in developing and maintaining a regimen that will be the most beneficial. Honestly, it wasn't until the last 4-5 years that I began to actually figure out my hair. That means I was clueless for 20+ years! It is definitely a journey and will take time. Drastic moves will not benefit you in the end. Think it over.

stacy

I done done it!!! Last night I cut it all off. I should have gone to a barber, but I just took some scissors to it and did it. I think that I am just tired of "fighting" with my hair. I need a rebirth. I need to know that I am not my hair (shout out to India!). Staring in the mirror at a nearly bald me was liberating, in a sense. The Earth did not stop spinning. My life did not change. It allowed me to see that no matter what is on top of my head, I am still a woman, I am still beautiful, smart, funny, caring, crazy, and still ME. I will grow my hair out again (think I will use a sulfur based product and natural oils and add some vitamins and minerals to my routine that aid healthy hair growth) and use the great tips you guys have shared. As my hair grows out, I will let a barber even it up, but my primary focus will be healthy hair and not length. In time, the length will come.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I'm having a really hard time getting over this APL hump. I even did a good bit of protective styling in braids over the last year and I'm still only creeping along. I'm starting to suspect breakage from taking down the braids as the reason why I'm not retaining like I should. I'm PSing under a wig right now (celie braids under a wig, have been for the last 3 weeks, wash/dc weekly). After I get through my current products I'll probably also go back to qhemets bc I got a lot of retention when I used it as my main styling/moisturizing product

lamaria211

stacy said:
I done done it!!! Last night I cut it all off. I should have gone to a barber, but I just took some scissors to it and did it. I think that I am just tired of "fighting" with my hair. I need a rebirth. I need to know that I am not my hair (shout out to India!). Staring in the mirror at a nearly bald me was liberating, in a sense. The Earth did not stop spinning. My life did not change. It allowed me to see that no matter what is on top of my head, I am still a woman, I am still beautiful, smart, funny, caring, crazy, and still ME. I will grow my hair out again (think I will use a sulfur based product and natural oils and add some vitamins and minerals to my routine that aid healthy hair growth) and use the great tips you guys have shared. As my hair grows out, I will let a barber even it up, but my primary focus will be healthy hair and not length. In time, the length will come.

Congrats on your BC:)

GeorginaSparks

what caused the damage?

greenandchic

Congratulations!

JBunnie

Hair profile?
I think 3a/b, medium strands, medium-thick density, low porosity. I haven't really tested everything as I should so this might not even be accurate (WHOMP WHOMP)

Reggie and products?
Weekly wash: Coconut oil pre-poo, MoroccanOil sulfate free shampoo, hot oil treatment with heating cap, DC (I switch between MoroccanOil moisturizing DC and a light protein DC each week to keep my balance). MoroccanOil rinse out conditioner after protein DC.
Cowash once or twice a week.
I get my hair straightened every 8 weeks at the salon and trim every 16 weeks. As of now I've vowed off heat styling myself unless it is totally necessary.
After heat styling I use a heavy protein treatment my next wash.

How do you style your hair?
I used to straighten my hair every time I washed even after I stopped relaxing because I didn't know what to do with my curls, but as I said above I'm no longer straightening in hopes of learning and perfecting my natural curl pattern.
After my full wash I'll either do my head in bantu knots or a twist and curl, let dry at least overnight then take them down.
When I cowash I just apply my products and let my hair take it's own shape.

What problems do you have with your hair?
I'm very new to wearing my curls so I'm trying to figure out what products work for me. Length retention is an issue for me and moisturizing is an issue for me. I feel like when I moisturize in between washes the product just sits on my hair and doesn't absorb.

Cruzankink

@DarkJoy I'll definately give a review of the quinoa protien. :yep: I'm happy that you found the culprit of your breakage. Now you know what to avoid. I don't mean to get up in your bidness :poke: but I'm curious as to why your hair is so water sensitive particularly, in its natural state. I've read your posts and you seem to be very knowledgable in natural hair care arena. However, I must ask, does your regimen incorporate protein? If it does, do you think your moisture/protein balance is askew? What is your hair porosity? Is your regimen/products catered to your porosity level? Have you ever sought the advice of a medical professional to illiminate any illness and/or mineral/vitamin deficiencies? Hollah back...

Last edited: