Struggling with your natural hair? Come in here.....

BraunSugar

2ndsbetter That Cantu Shea Butter... :nono: I know my hair was dry and felt coated and wrong for almost a month. It has cones in it so cowashing isn't going to remove it. If your hair has build up from product and cones that is not being properly removed by cowashing then you won't be able to get moisture into your hair because of the barriers.

I remember liking S-Curl, but switching to aloe vera juice because it was cheaper and natural. Nothing wrong w/commercial moisturizers, but nothing works for me like aloe vera juice.

I see you are trimming SSKs 3-4 times a week. Have you considered braids instead of twists? For me they are better at keeping SSKs and tangled ends away.

virtuenow

2ndsbetter oh yeah, clarifying my hair [and that often] would be hair suicide. I could never bounce back from stripping my dry natured 4b hair to that degree. Maybe you can reconsider the extreme bounds you're going through for "clean" hair. As far as pre-poo, you need to be sure your hair is damp w/water or avj before you apply those oils. Otherwise the prepoo is ineffective. Here's the pre-poo link: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=509482

wednesday

Hair profile? 4b/4c natural, really tight coils, no curl pattern, fine strands, low density, shoulder length, horrible.

Reggie and products? Trader Joes tea tree tingle shampoo or Giovanni 50/50 shampoo. Aubrey Organics GBP conditioner or Giovanni smooth as silk conditioner. Le Kair cholesterol (DC). Kimmytube leave in with Giovanni direct leave in. EVOO, EVCO, JBCO, Jojoba oil.
When my hair is out i wash every 2 weeks.
First i detangle with water and an oil mix/ normally EVOO and EVCO and make sure it's in large twists.
Then i leave the oil in my hair as a pre-poo and sit under a heat cap.
Then i wash and rinse my hair in twists.
i take down each twist to apply my conditioner or DC and keep it in for at least an hour.
Rinse well in the twists (sometimes loose)
Towel dry and add my leave in to my hair in twists
i then take each twist down and put JBCO on the ends.
I normally will let it dry in the large twists overnight to stretch it, then i put in medium-small 2 strandtwist and leave it alone for another 2 weeks.

How do you style your hair? box braids and yarn braids. When it's out of braids i 2 strand twist and wear it in a bun.

What problems do you have with your hair?
I'm over it. I'm over trying to grow my hair. I still haven't even made APL. It seems like i have perpetual split ends and single strand knots and it always gets worse when i wear my hair out of extension/yarn braids for an extended period of time. My edges are fuzzy and never seem to grow. My hair is so fine that it snaps really easily even though i use protein a lot. I've just decided i'm not even going to try anymore. I've spent SO MUCH money along the way and wasted so much time...and for what? I might relax my hair and then shave my head next year.

faithVA

[USER=212304 said:
wednesday[/USER];16800897]Hair profile? 4b/4c natural, really tight coils, no curl pattern, fine strands, low density, shoulder length, horrible.

Reggie and products? Trader Joes tea tree tingle shampoo or Giovanni 50/50 shampoo. Aubrey Organics GBP conditioner or Giovanni smooth as silk conditioner. Le Kair cholesterol (DC). Kimmytube leave in with Giovanni direct leave in. EVOO, EVCO, JBCO, Jojoba oil.
First i detangle with water and an oil mix/ normally EVOO and EVCO and make sure it's in large twists.
i take down each twist to apply my conditioner or DC and keep it in for at least an hour.
I normally will let it dry in the large twists overnight to stretch it, then i put in medium-small 2 strandtwist and leave it alone for another 2 weeks.

How do you style your hair? box braids and yarn braids. When it's out of braids i 2 strand twist and wear it in a bun.

I'm over it. I'm over trying to grow my hair. I still haven't even made APL. It seems like i have perpetual split ends and single strand knots and it always gets worse when i wear my hair out of extension/yarn braids for an extended period of time. My edges are fuzzy and never seem to grow. My hair is so fine that it snaps really easily even though i use protein a lot. I've just decided i'm not even going to try anymore. I've spent SO MUCH money along the way and wasted so much time...and for what? I might relax my hair and then shave my head next year.

Before you cut or relax consider getting a Komazcare Hair Analysis so you can understand whats going on with your hair. It is a little pricey but it saves on the frustration.

Second, perhaps you should try the protein every 4 to 6 weeks.

Third, what is your product for DC and what moisturizing DC are you using.

I am also using the Giovanni Direct as a leave-in in my kimmay tube. It's ok but not the best. Try applying more to your hair than you usually do.

Are you DCing with any type of heat?

Check out the Komaza Hair Analysis thread. It may have some helpful tips and you will see what recommendations and the things that people are learning in the analysis.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I should've come into this thread a long time ago. I'm 1 year post BC but my hair is mostly 3 to 4 inches in different areas. I think I could've retained all 6 inches but I find myself trimming SSKs and split ends 3 to 4 times a week. My crown is the shortest part of my hair. It is forever dry and tangled. I moisturize and seal daily but hair still has SSKs the next day. Also, my hair is dry again as soon as I cowash, I think I may be low porosity based the on floating hair test. I did a permanent color a few weeks ago.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regimen
Daily: S-Curl and seal with African Pride Growth Oil or shea butter mix, then I twist and wear a wig
DC weekly: just tried Nunaat Silicon, then use CON leave-in or Cantu shea butter leave-in

At least twice a week I use my sulfur mix on my scalp.

I rarely shampoo and when I do I use black soap or Nexxus Therappe. I try to clarify once a month.
2ndsbetter

Color! Man, that stuff can blast your hair to hell. A good guess may be that's what's causing your overly dryness, which in turn, makes you ssk. I had this problem and had to BC it all off.

Color hair needs special treatment. Even then it might be totally FUBAR. Agree with other posters--ditch the shampoo and silicones and glycerin. They exacerbate dryness. Aubrey GPB is a great product. I'd also recommend their other conditioners--blue camomile is their most moisturizing.

Try the Green House Effect method--put a moisture condish or water on your dry hair (absolutely NO proteins--could make it worse), put it in plastic wrap, bags, a scarf and tie it up tight to sleep overnight. Co-wash it out in the morning. Seal with something heavy. Several times a week you might have to do this to save your color treated hair until the balance is back.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Hair profile? 4b/4c natural, really tight coils, no curl pattern, fine strands, low density, shoulder length, horrible.

@wednesday. What implements are you using? combs? brushes? head wraps? scarves? When was your last trim? Fine hairs MUST TRIM!

So sorry you are having these troubles and considering going back to relaxers! Give it one more try. I'm of the fine-hair family and it is a hard place to be sometimes. It's frustrating to say the least! But if you go back to relaxing, you might find yourself at EL in 6months!

1st suggestion--For fine hairs, I always suggest ditching the shampoo. It's just too rough--dries us out, makes us brittle. Sulfate free, silicon free, it doesn't seem to matter. Try Terresentials, Wen, SM Purification Masque (and follow with a co-wash) or some other conditioner washes. It will help build up moisture quick.

2nd suggestion---stop wet-manipulating your hair. Twisting, untwisting all that is too much for wet fine hair. It gets water-logged and more fragile. You detangle before you wash anyway. Just leave it loose to wash. gently blot dry and wait til it's barely damp to twist back up.

3rd suggestion--wash MORE often--to keep moisture up and build-up down.

4th suggestion--Dust the ends (less than 1/4" off) once a month only.

Hope this helps

itsjusthair88

Chronically at BSL -_-
Hair profile? 4A (all day, err'day LOL), dense but very fine strands...coarse-feeling, not porous (I think?)

Reggie and products? Yea...about that. I don't have a set reggie, even after 2 years! I think this is my biggest problem here. But I generally only wash and condition it once a week and I rarely DC, although I am trying to be better. I also only detangle once weekly, on wet hair and with plenty of condish. My products can be: Shea Moisture coconut and hibiscus line, Suave coconut condish, V05 condish (including the kiwi clarifying condish, which I love), olive/coconut/JBC oils and water and aloe.

How do you style your hair?
I deviate between 2 or 3 styles: either braided under a half-wig, in mini-twists or in a twist/braid-out. The last one I rarely wear, the other 2 I like better.

What problems do you have with your hair? Hmm, I think my protein/moisture balance is waaaaaaay off, like I NEVER use protein. I also cannot afford to be a person who tries a ton of products until I get the right one (young careerist here, gotta eat!), so I don't have staples. I also work a lot and go to school, so I just want to KISS (keep it simple silly) and I am always on the look out for reggies with hair like mine who are very simple and not full of a thousand products, but I rarely find it on here. My ends are also very dry, even though I never bother them, like at all.

Can somebody please help me

2ndsbetter

@2ndsbetter That Cantu Shea Butter... :nono: I know my hair was dry and felt coated and wrong for almost a month. It has cones in it so cowashing isn't going to remove it. If your hair has build up from product and cones that is not being properly removed by cowashing then you won't be able to get moisture into your hair because of the barriers.

I remember liking S-Curl, but switching to aloe vera juice because it was cheaper and natural. Nothing wrong w/commercial moisturizers, but nothing works for me like aloe vera juice.

I see you are trimming SSKs 3-4 times a week. Have you considered braids instead of twists? For me they are better at keeping SSKs and tangled ends away.

Not sure if I need to clarify with poo or baking soda. My scalp isn't dry right now but I may have buildup. I sipped AVJ but never got around to using it in my hair. The last time I attempted mini braids all the ends rolled up and it was a nightmare to undo them.

faithVA

I have no idea.

Why not try eliminating them for 2 weeks and see how your hair is doing. But you will need to wash with a shampoo first to get them out.

For my hair silicones blocked moisture to the cuticles, so I didn't get enough moisture into my hair no matter what I did.

This may not be the case for you but you it helps to eliminate ingredients that cause issues with hair and start clean and then add them one at a time to see what your hair hates.

Try eliminating for 30 days: sulfates, parabens, silicones, mineral oil, petroleum. Then see how our hair feels. Then start adding products back in.

HanaKuroi

itsjusthair88 said:
Hair profile? 4A (all day, err'day LOL), dense but very fine strands...coarse-feeling, not porous (I think?)

Reggie and products? Yea...about that. I don't have a set reggie, even after 2 years! I think this is my biggest problem here. But I generally only wash and condition it once a week and I rarely DC, although I am trying to be better. I also only detangle once weekly, on wet hair and with plenty of condish. My products can be: Shea Moisture coconut and hibiscus line, Suave coconut condish, V05 condish (including the kiwi clarifying condish, which I love), olive/coconut/JBC oils and water and aloe.

How do you style your hair? I deviate between 2 or 3 styles: either braided under a half-wig, in mini-twists or in a twist/braid-out. The last one I rarely wear, the other 2 I like better.

What problems do you have with your hair? Hmm, I think my protein/moisture balance is waaaaaaay off, like I NEVER use protein. I also cannot afford to be a person who tries a ton of products until I get the right one (young careerist here, gotta eat!), so I don't have staples. I also work a lot and go to school, so I just want to KISS (keep it simple silly) and I am always on the look out for reggies with hair like mine who are very simple and not full of a thousand products, but I rarely find it on here. My ends are also very dry, even though I never bother them, like at all.

Can somebody please help me

Hmmmmm I need clarification. You only want simple/no regimen recommendations. Is that right?

Bublin

Aw heck, I think the penny has just dropped after all these years.

I thought co-washing was with a conditioner only. I stopped because I got build up on both scalp and hair and my scalp itched so badly.

I have been doing some reading and I've realised I have been missing a step or not understanding the products I have been using.

So ladies clarify a few things for me..........
Am I supposed to cleanse my hair with a cleanser like Hair One first THEN co-wash with a regular conditioner.

I have VO5 Kiwi and Lime Clarifying conditioner - would I use this as the cleanser or the co-wash?

Can I use a deep conditioner as the co-wash?

Last edited:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Hey @Bublin!

I just co-wash. But I use a cleansing conditioner that is meant for the purpose. I can see how products not meant specifically to co-wash can leave a buildup. This is probably really the case with silicon-containing condish.

If you like your current cowash products, you can always clarify your scalp/hair with a clarifying shampoo or baking soda every so often...

Bublin

Hey @Bublin!

I just co-wash. But I use a cleansing conditioner that is meant for the purpose. I can see how products not meant specifically to co-wash can leave a buildup. This is probably really the case with silicon-containing condish.

If you like your current cowash products, you can always clarify your scalp/hair with a clarifying shampoo or baking soda every so often...

Hey DarkJoy

Right, OK so I can use the VO5 Clarifying Condish to co-wash. I have the bottle but have never used it. Before I was using silicon laden products to co-wash so that probably explains the build up.
I will def continue to use a poo on my scalp.

Is there any point in dc'ing or pre-pooing BEFORE a co-wash? I can just imagine the build-up!!

DarkJoy, I see you give alot of advice for fine hair. I was going to ask alot of questions but I have a feeling my hair is seriously lacking moisture which is causing the other problems. I'll start co-washing and see how that goes.

HanaKuroi

Bublin said:
Hey DarkJoy

Right, OK so I can use the VO5 Clarifying Condish to co-wash. I have the bottle but have never used it. Before I was using silicon laden products to co-wash so that probably explains the build up.

Is there any point in dc'ing or pre-pooing BEFORE a co-wash? I can just imagine the build-up!!

DarkJoy, I see you give alot of advice for fine hair. I was going to ask alot of questions but I have a feeling my hair is seriously lacking moisture which is causing the other problems. I'll start co-washing and see how that goes.

I am not sure about using that clarifying conditioner everyday. Noooo. Maybe the vo5 tea or milks.

Bublin

I am not sure about using that clarifying conditioner everyday. Noooo. Maybe the vo5 tea or milks.

I wouldn't be using it everyday. Just once a week. Still think that's too much? I would be dc'ing afterwards.
I will look into the VO5 tea - EDT - It's called Revive Me Daily Conditioner here in the UK.

Last edited:

HanaKuroi

Bublin said:
I wouldn't be using it everyday. Just once a week. Still think that's too much? I would be dc'ing afterwards.
I will look into the VO5 tea - EDT - It's called Revive Me Daily Conditioner here in the UK.

I wouldn't use it once a week. As needed or if you feel you should once a month or every six weeks? I am hoping DarkJoy or faithVA will give their opinion. Unless you are using products that build up I don't think you need to weekly clarify.

Bublin

I wouldn't use it once a week. As needed or if you feel you should once a month or every six weeks? I am hoping @DarkJoy or @faithVA will give their opinion. Unless you are using products that build up I don't think you need to weekly clarify.

Ah OK. I am thinking I use alot of castor oil inbetween washes so it wouldn't do any harm.

I am confused much because I'm reading in the co-wash thread that people are loading the hair with a dc then co-washing it out. I swear my hair and scalp would scream and would not be clean. What am i missing here???? :drunk:
Maybe because my hair is dry I have to use alot of leave-ins to compensate, if I get co-washing down maybe the usage of leave-ins would reduce.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Bublin, are you experiencing specific problems?

I clarify once or twice a month with baking soda. I do it so often because I use grease for certain styles. If the hair isn't holding a style anymore (like twist outs looking yucky or moisture condish not penetrating), it's usually build-up so time to clarify.

Wonder what makes that conditioner clarifying? Whats the ingredients?

There's nothing wrong with a pre-poo and DC after a CW. I do so once a week even though three times a week, I co-wash then follow with a regular moisture condish (for wash and go upkeep only). During those times, a reconstructor (with a little protein) seems to be keeping the proteins balanced because everything else in my regi is protein-free and super-moisturizing. My hair really seems to be retaining with this regimen...

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Ah OK. I am thinking I use alot of castor oil inbetween washes so it wouldn't do any harm.

I am confused much because I'm reading in the co-wash thread that people are loading the hair with a dc then co-washing it out. I swear my hair and scalp would scream and would not be clean. What am i missing here???? :drunk:
Maybe because my hair is dry I have to use alot of leave-ins to compensate, if I get co-washing down maybe the usage of leave-ins would reduce.
Looking at this, Bublin, I realized I didn't need leave-ins anymore. In fact, they contributed to my dryness. I spritz with water or tea and seal with castor and it can literally retain that moisture for a cpl days now. Before, I was lucky to see the end of the day without lookin and feeling like steel wool.

Bublin

@DarkJoy Yes I have specific problems. Dryness is a huge problem which is why I need to re-visit co-washing with the correct products this time.
I suffer very badly from tangling and breakage. I don't know how I have retained so much length. I shed alot too but always have. I feel the dryness is causing the tangles and breakage so that is what I need to concentrate on.

I have also seen that you have advised not to do hair when it's soaking wet. I can only manipulate my hair when it is soaking, otherwise I would have a birds nest.

I would love to co-wash more than once a week but I'm only able to wear braidouts and they don't dry overnight. My hair fuzzes really badly so wearing a wet bun is out of the question - maybe co-washing will sort out the fuzzing.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Your hair does not dry overnight? Are these large braids? hmmm.... maybe you have a low porosity issue too? It could also be the build-up thing too...

You could detangle during your pre-poo phase...and when its towel dried?

The good news is, looks like your hair grows fast, so it keeps ahead of the
damage (if any).

Many a tea-head swear by black or herbal tea rinses for heavy shedding... (me included)

itsjusthair88

Chronically at BSL -_-
Hmmmmm I need clarification. You only want simple/no regimen recommendations. Is that right?

Umm...I'm not sure, I mean if somebody has a reggie that's not super complicated or expensive, that would be nice. But really, just anything that could help me deal with my hair, because honestly, I'm about to texlax soon if I can't get all this under control. I don't even enjoy my hair :perplexed

Bublin

DarkJoy not drying overnight is a huge problem for me. I have about 18 braids but they are on soaking wet hair. Everything has to be done very wet hair or loaded with product. Yes I have low porisity

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Ohh itsjusthair88--I see you live in the Bay too. Budget control and hair care is no joke where we live! Consider the cost of touch ups on top of that and its no cure for dryness either. You'll just be adding costs in the long run.

Find an Indian Market near you! sounds cray, BUT the cost of their coconut and other oils is cheapcheap! Oils cost $2.99. Including Vatika (a great hair oil) and plain oils--coconut, sunflower, etc in their food section.

If you can spare ~$12 (that's with the tax!) head to Whole Foods and pick up an Aubrey Blue Camomile Conditioner! Most hydrating condish ever! Works great as a DC too.

Shea Moisture products at Walgreens, CVS run about $10--however the Aubrey conditioners kick SM conditioners butt.

Grease runs ~$3. Yes, many LHCFers despise grease...yet, there are a secret sect of us (me included) find that it works! I went against the grain and got some--instant stop to SSKs! A fingerful on damp or wet styled hair before bed is all it takes! And it really locks-in moisture.
____

My single mom budget and simple reggi allow this (I get min 3-months from commercial products using them for 2 people):

Cleansing/Conditioning

• prepoo with vatika oil (2.99 per bottle)
  • SM purification mask ($10 a jar)
  • co wash with a Wen knockoff (Lisa Rachel-only $8 a bottle)
  • tea rinse (less than $1 a batch) for added moisture and strength
  • DC (aubrey = $12), rinse.
Styling

• Home made flax gel (less than $1 a batch) for wash n go
  • castor oil ($7)
  • moist twist outs with $3 grease.
I also home-make other things that save cash, but understand that not everyone wants to bother being a mixtress...

HanaKuroi

The only thing I want to add to Joy's post is to start with hair free of product. Either by clarifying, baking soda, mudwash, sulfate shampoo. Start with naked hair first.

faithVA

Aw heck, I think the penny has just dropped after all these years.

I thought co-washing was with a conditioner only. I stopped because I got build up on both scalp and hair and my scalp itched so badly.

I have been doing some reading and I've realised I have been missing a step or not understanding the products I have been using.

So ladies clarify a few things for me..........
Am I supposed to cleanse my hair with a cleanser like Hair One first THEN co-wash with a regular conditioner.

I have VO5 Kiwi and Lime Clarifying conditioner - would I use this as the cleanser or the co-wash?

Can I use a deep conditioner as the co-wash?

Hey Bublin. Where have you been young lady? Haven't seen you in a while. Sorry, I'm late to the party but I was actually doing my hair.

Perhaps cowashing ONLY is not for you. What I mean by that is, it may not be good for you to only cowash your hair and never use shampoo. I shampoo once a week, and I cowash 1 to 2 times a week. Some people shampoo once a month and cowash all other times.

Sometimes I shampoo and then use an instant conditioner. Sometimes I shampoo and then use a DC. Sometimes I cowash and then DC. I have no hard and fast rule, I am going by how my scalp and hair feels.

Listen to your scalp, if it needs to be shampooed, shampoo it. If you need extra moisture and want to cowash mid-week do that.

I am not a clarifier. My hair is already dry. I don't really think using clarifying shampoo on a regular basis is good unless you are using a lot of cones or something. Find a gentle shampoo or cleansing conditioner.

faithVA

Hey @DarkJoy

If you are shampoo on some schedule, I think you will be ok and not have to many problems with build-up. I prepoo sometimes before cowash, but I also shampoo once a week or at least every two weeks.

Find something other than a clarifying conditioner to cowash with and save the clarifying for special occassions.

I don't DC before I cowash but I have cowashed and then DCd. Why? Because I have product in my hair so I at least want to water rinse and my hair just feels better if I water rinse and then use and instant vs. just water rinsing and then putting on a deep conditioner.

faithVA

This sounds better.

faithVA

Just incorporate a cleansing product in the right times and you will be fine. And you don't need a super cleansing product to get normal products out. I can even get unpetroleum jelly and shea butter out of my hair with normal shampoo. So try a regular shampoo or cleansing product first and only then try the clarifying shampoo. If you strip the moisture out of your hair on a regular basis, no amount of DC will be able to get it back in :nono: