Stretchy Gummy Hair After Relaxing.. Help.. What To Do?

Melissa Neal

I'm kind of new to this website so I hope I'm doing this right.. that being said, I recently started relaxing my hair and I'm fearing that I'm doing everything absolutely wrong and I don't want my hair to fall out!

Before I was relaxed, I straightened my hair once a week and my hair couldn't take it and started to break off and after relaxing my hair it has been 100% better so I honestly don't want to stop relaxing. It looks healthier, shinier and all that good stuff and it stays straight so i barely ever have to touch it with a straightener. I usually only blow-dry it.
The back of my hair however the last time I relaxed it was extremely stretchy when wet. So stretchy that I stretched it all the way until it stretched away from itself and I was holding the hair in my hand. I wanted to cry. Once it air dried, I blow dried my hair and it "looked" extremely thick and healthy and beautiful BUT because of the stretchy, gummy when wet thing, I know its not too good.
That was about a 3 months ago. I put it directly into a weave after relaxing which I'm just finding out probably was a bad idea. I did research and I know its lacking protein so today I ordered the Mizani Kerafuse Intensive Protein Treatment along with the Hydrafuse Intensive Moisturizing Treatment because I heard a lot of great reviews about them.
Once I took my hair out the weave about a month ago it was shedding but nothing scary. Just normal weave shedding. I put my hair directly back into another weave without relaxing because I was scared of relaxing again without the protein treatment. Now my hair is in a weave and I'm getting another weave done today because its time and the protein treatments haven't arrived in the mail yet... My hair is extremely thick and course and probably has about an inch of new growth. I can't stretch my relaxers for too long because the two textures between straight, and course causes my hair to snap if handled too much.

So my question is after its time to take my new weave out, should I do the protein treatment before or after relaxing my new growth? Also what can I do from here on out to save my hair? I'm doing so much wrong I think. My hair does really great in weaves that's when I get the most growth but I'm desperate for help.

If its not too late make sure you do a good deep condition before you get install done today. If you need a trim get that done also. Turn chair to the mirror and watch.

For next time: I would lightly detangle after removing weave, steam with a good pre poo, wash, deep condition with heat. Then do a roller set or do a twist out for at least a week or 2 between installs. If you can't do that then throw in 5 or 6 cornrows and rock a wig so you can still hit your hair at night. After hitting with a good deep conditioner that first wash you can then do the protein treatment when you wash before the next install. But I wouldn't do protein treatment right after taking weave out and if I remember correctly I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to do protein treatment right before or same time as a relaxer. Long before I officially transitioned I wore braids and weaves and never had the breakage others speak of. So even if you are due to relax I would wait a month between installs so you can assess your hair first.

I know this board is constantly pushing DIY but if your hair is thick sometimes you need another set of eyes to help you get through it. If you don't have access to a stylist you trust then get a friend to help you with next relaxer (& later the protein treatment) to be sure that you are hitting all of your hair.

In the meantime what brand were you using? When was the last time you clarified? Are you low or high porosity? Don't worry about what's popular. Write it all down. Doing that may help you see if there is a common ingredient that is causing you trouble.

Wow! There's a lot going on here! Well first welcome to the forum!

My first question is, how are you gauging the health of your hair? Shine and looks aren't really a great indicator of true hair health. It's all about the feel. Some products are designed to make your hair look shiny and new and cover up the appearance of damage. I always avoid synthetic products that aren't rinsed out because they mask the problem areas in my hair.
If I were you I wouldn't weave it up or relax until I do a hard protein like Aphogee. In fact, I would take a break from relaxing and weaves until my hair is strong again. How long is your hair? Why do you weave back to back?
I hope this helped :)

@Melissa Neal Welcome to the forum!

The description of your hair definitely sounds like you need some protein in your hair routine. I agree with doing a hard protein now to help with the mushy-ness. I do a light protein treatment regularly to ensure my hair stays on track. I used to do light protein every 2 weeks, but my hair no longer needs it that often, so I go 4-5 weeks now. I still do a weekly moisturizing dc though.

I'm a self-relaxer and I always to the mid-step protein as well.

Don't worry about stretching your relaxers. Do what's good for you. The important thing is to take care of your hair daily. Like a PP said, maybe taking a break from back to back weaves is also in order.

Let us know how you're doing and good luck!

Wow! There's a lot going on here! Well first welcome to the forum!

My first question is, how are you gauging the health of your hair? Shine and looks aren't really a great indicator of true hair health. It's all about the feel. Some products are designed to make your hair look shiny and new and cover up the appearance of damage. I always avoid synthetic products that aren't rinsed out because they mask the problem areas in my hair.
If I were you I wouldn't weave it up or relax until I do a hard protein like Aphogee. In fact, I would take a break from relaxing and weaves until my hair is strong again. How long is your hair? Why do you weave back to back?
I hope this helped :)
Thank you! I weave back to back because of the shedding. My hair is about 12 inches long. And those are very good points! I'll take a break from relaxing and weaves for awhile and focus more on the health. And its so true I do pay attention to the feel and it feels good for the most part but what I don't like is even before relaxing my hair tends to shed a bit of tiny pieces. I know shedding is fine but the tiny pieces I think are breakage. It doesn't happen much but it happens so health is definitely important. Thank you so much for the advice!!

@Melissa Neal Welcome to the forum!

The description of your hair definitely sounds like you need some protein in your hair routine. I agree with doing a hard protein now to help with the mushy-ness. I do a light protein treatment regularly to ensure my hair stays on track. I used to do light protein every 2 weeks, but my hair no longer needs it that often, so I go 4-5 weeks now. I still do a weekly moisturizing dc though.

I'm a self-relaxer and I always to the mid-step protein as well.

Don't worry about stretching your relaxers. Do what's good for you. The important thing is to take care of your hair daily. Like a PP said, maybe taking a break from back to back weaves is also in order.

Let us know how you're doing and good luck!
Thank you!!

Thank you! I weave back to back because of the shedding. My hair is about 12 inches long. And those are very good points! I'll take a break from relaxing and weaves for awhile and focus more on the health. And its so true I do pay attention to the feel and it feels good for the most part but what I don't like is even before relaxing my hair tends to shed a bit of tiny pieces. I know shedding is fine but the tiny pieces I think are breakage. It doesn't happen much but it happens so health is definitely important. Thank you so much for the advice!!
Those short pieces are caused by over manipulation of some sort. When I was relaxed I avoided those pesky short hairs (I had a ton! ) by using low manipulation styles like twist outs and braid outs that I would then wear in a PS. You have more than enough hair to work with to do nice PS or semi PS styles like textured sock buns, pin up styles, etc. My favorite style when I had relaxed hair was four Bantu knots on freshly co washed hair that are let down while my hair was still damp to create a wavy texture (my hair was relaxed bone straight).
Sigh, now I miss my relaxed hair! Going back to reminiscence now....

What relaxer are you using? I put a Hawaiian silky in my hair one time and all my hair on the sides and back fell out when I went to sleep on it. I didn't realize how silky my hair became and I paid the price. Also, sounds like your hair may have too much moisture. What is your daily regimen? And what is your hair day regimen when you take your weave out? If you do not have a reggie, adopt one quick. There are lots of threads here to help you develop a reggie that's best for you. Good luck sis!

Thank you for everyone's support and advice! I'm surprised and extremely greatful to have the advice from so many of you ladies who know how to take care of your hair! I hate to say it but although my hair has been with me my entire life it's something so foreign and hard to deal with so in extremely greatful for all advice and learned a lot. I thought weaves were what I was supposed to do at a time like this, never thought about actually nursing my hair back to health oddly.

What relaxer are you using? I put a Hawaiian silky in my hair one time and all my hair on the sides and back fell out when I went to sleep on it. I didn't realize how silky my hair became and I paid the price. Also, sounds like your hair may have too much moisture. What is your daily regimen? And what is your hair day regimen when you take your weave out? If you do not have a reggie, adopt one quick. There are lots of threads here to help you develop a reggie that's best for you. Good luck sis!
Thank you! I'm not sure what relaxer. I think it was called the olive oil relaxer or something like that. I do not have a daily regimen! I will definitely look at the threads to figure one out. Thank you a lot!

Thank you everyone. The protein treatment really worked. I used an extreme protein treatment by Mizani and it definitely helped my hair not to be as stretchy. I had to cut off a bit of my hair but I would have had to cut off my entire head of hair if I didn't use the Mizani protein treatment. I had no idea my hair was lacking protein. Thank you a lot.

Back