Aphogee Intensive Keratin Reconstructor and relaxing

Denim And Leather

Ok, so I went to Sally's this afternoon, and bought a few more things I need when I self relax. I bought the Aphogee Intensive Keratin Reconstructor to use during the process, because I read that this is good at protecting the hair from damage from relaxing by allowing protein in, since the hair will be breaking down (hope I'm explaining this correctly).

My question is that since I'm using Phyto II for my relaxer, and it's chemical free, is this still necessary? I figure it would be, since Phyto is still breaking down my hair to straighten it, with what I don't know (since I'm still new at this).

Also, should I use Aphogee treatment for chemically treated hair a week after the relaxer (which would be my first wash after relaxing)? This actually sounds like too much protein to me in such a short time, and I don't want a repeat of the middle of April! LOL!

Last edited:

TeeKay21

I don't know if that will be too much protien for you, but I can tell you I use Phyto II and I used the Aphogee 2 min reconstructor a week after my 1st relaxer and the week after that too. My hair is nice and strong. I use strickly moisture products during the week and use protien for my wash days.

I can't comment on if the Aphogee treatment for relaxed hair is going to be too much for as I havn't tried it. But I will say follow what your hair tells you. My hair loves protien so you will just have to do what's best for you.

HTH!!!!

brooklyngal73

SteelyDan/DonaldFagenFan!
I think that SistaSlick used Aphogee 2 min reconstructor successfully w/ her recent relaxer. As I recall, she used it after she rinsed out the relaxer but BEFORE she neutralized.

*this is a cue for SistaSlick to come in this thread to confirm my post*

Sistaslick

Denim And Leather said:
Ok, so I went to Sally's this afternoon, and bought a few more things I need when I self relax. I bought the Aphogee Intensive Keratin Reconstructor to use during the process, because I read that this is good at protecting the hair from damage from relaxing by allowing protein in, since the hair will be breaking down (hope I'm explaining this correctly).

My question is that since I'm using Phyto II for my relaxer, and it's chemical free, is this still necessary? I figure it would be, since Phyto is still breaking down my hair to straighten it, with what I don't know (since I'm still new at this).

Also, should I use Aphogee treatment for chemically treated hair a week after the relaxer (which would be my first wash after relaxing)? This actually sounds like too much protein to me in such a short time, and I don't want a repeat of the middle of April! LOL!

lol@ bklyn :lol:

Well, I'm not too familiar with the particulars of Phyto--- but relaxers in general just like permanent colors strip away at the cuticle and break down the hair's own natural protein bonds. Putting the protein back in the form of some type of strengthening treatment is always going to be important. That is why I always go into a relaxer "proteined" up. :lol: I also do a mid-relaxer protein step with the Aphogee 2 minute keratin reconstructor following the rinsing of the relaxer and before the neutralizer. Since relaxed hair requires both protein and moisture, what I use the wash following the relaxer always depends on how my hair feels at the time. That could be more protein or none at all. The protein is important, but you don't want to forget about keeping moisture in the mix.

Teekay is right, you have to listen to your hair. It won't tell you the wrong thing.;) If it feels rough, dry, tough and brittle give it more moisture. If you're getting limp, gumminess :lachen: reach for the protein.

Denim And Leather

All you guys are so helpful, thank you so much! I've just mixed the Phyto and waiting for it to sit 5 minutes per the instructions. I'll keep you guys posted.

You guys rock! :kiss:

Denim And Leather

Ok.....

This was a disaster.

I put a tablespoon 1/2 of EVOO, left this on for 35 minutes....I had a hard time smoothing, but did my best....my hair is officially texturized! (I wanted it bone straight) :mad: :(

Arcadian

sorry, just saw your message. Phyto is really gentle, I've never added oils to it before because its never been necessary.

Phyto also has its own reconstructor (while not the best thing in the world it works ok) I mix some of the reconstructor with an ORS pak and it does great for me.

Their kit is quite complete, and the components work very well together, so theres very little you would need to do outside of whats there.

For me, I introduce oils when I condition, never to the relaxer itself. I use their oil around my hairline and on my ears only. I only based once with phyto, and that was the first time I ever used it. It didn't seem necessary so now I don't (but this is just me)

Phyto has never made my hair bone straight. On me, bone straight is too dry and brittle and thin. My hair can't handle that. In the past most relaxers I've used did just that, no matter how long I left them on! I've always said that if thats the look you want, you probably shouldn't use phyto. I like it because I still have body left, my hair stays moisterized and it dosen't beat my strands up so much. I think it may be dependant on your hair type really.

sorry that you didn't get the results you wanted.

-A

Denim And Leather

Arcadian said:
sorry, just saw your message. Phyto is really gentle, I've never added oils to it before because its never been necessary.

Phyto also has its own reconstructor (while not the best thing in the world it works ok) I mix some of the reconstructor with an ORS pak and it does great for me.

Their kit is quite complete, and the components work very well together, so theres very little you would need to do outside of whats there.

For me, I introduce oils when I condition, never to the relaxer itself. I use their oil around my hairline and on my ears only. I only based once with phyto, and that was the first time I ever used it. It didn't seem necessary so now I don't (but this is just me)

Phyto has never made my hair bone straight. On me, bone straight is too dry and brittle and thin. My hair can't handle that. In the past most relaxers I've used did just that, no matter how long I left them on! I've always said that if thats the look you want, you probably shouldn't use phyto. I like it because I still have body left, my hair stays moisterized and it dosen't beat my strands up so much. I think it may be dependant on your hair type really.

sorry that you didn't get the results you wanted.

-A

Thanks for your kind words, Arcadian! :)

You know, as I was thinking this over, I realized that I should not have added the EVOO. The other problem was that I had made too many sections when doing my hair, because they got in my way as I was trying to relax! :lol: Next time, I'm sticking for four sections when I divide my hair.

I got Index 2 because I read that if you want your hair straight, then use this one instead of Index 1 (for my fine textured hair). I'm not really upset about the texture anymore, I think I'm more so upset because now I will have to touch up my hair sooner, and I had planned on stretching my relaxers to every 3 months, but with the way it came out, I will probably be touching up between week 6-8.

I do have to admit, my hair feels much, much softer. There's something in Phyto that coated my hair that's making it very soft, and I do like that.

I'm working on my Fotki right now, I hope to have it up by Sunday, because I want to add pics of my hair dry and straightened.

Thanks again! :)

Arcadian

very welcome:) Its all trial and error sometimes. I did many weeks of research before I tried phyto (cause at the price they want for the stuff, thats what it was gonna take)

I go between 12-14 weeks which seems the sweet spot for me. Longer than that I can barely get my comb through it:lol: I do hope that you can go a little longer than 6-8 weeks, but that can be hard especially if you like having your hair really straight.

Some of the ladies here use ORS relaxer with good results. Without fail anytime a thread comes up about it, I'm always checking it out..lol.

I do get tempted (cause lets face it, its MUCH cheaper), but I hate to stray from something once I know it works for me especially when it comes down to something as important as a relaxer. Sometimes you gotta figure if its not broke, dont mess it up. But if I ever get to the point that phyto isn't working out for me, that would be what I'll be looking into.

I just wish I had seen your message before you actually relaxed.:(

Wishing you the best.:rosebud:

-A

Sistaslick

Denim And Leather said:
Thanks for your kind words, Arcadian! :)

You know, as I was thinking this over, I realized that I should not have added the EVOO. The other problem was that I had made too many sections when doing my hair, because they got in my way as I was trying to relax! :lol: Next time, I'm sticking for four sections when I divide my hair.

Yeah girl, that weakens the relaxer a bit and slows down the processing time. On a relaxer that is already pretty gentle-then you know the story.:lol: If you want bone straight from any kind of relaxer, definitely skip the oil step :lol:
Can't wait to see your hair pics!!!!:grin:

Denim And Leather

Arcadia- Thanks again for your advice. :kiss: You are so right when you said this about trial and error....and I certainly learned a lot doing my own relaxer, and did more to take care of my hair throughout the process than my former hairdresser has ever done, so it's all good. And I'm glad I did use only half the creme instead of the whole jar like I planned, because when saw how small the amount of creme was in the jar, I figured I'd have to use the whole jar, and I'd be plenty mad right now if I did that, considering the price I paid and not getting my hair straight enough! :lol:

I'm going to try my best to wait another 12 weeks, I'm just concerned that now I have 3 different textures to deal with, I don't know how that will work out. Yikes! :lol:

Hey Dr. Slick! :D Yup, I know better now about the EVOO!

I look forward to having you see my pics too, chicka.

Mizani_Mrs

I've phytod once and i really liked it but i made the mistake of using their reconstructor and it kinda reverted my hair. one day i will go back to phyto. anyways...i always use aphogee green tea restructurizer to generously spray my hair/ends and apply generous amount of oil the morning of touch-up day. (its normally supposed to be a leave-in) wait till it dries then i get my hair relaxed and my hair always end up texturized and not bone-straight. it's very reliable to me.