Stretching for the 1st time, do I need BBD Stretch?

LadyJ76

Hello Ladies,

Well first of all I would like to say how grateful I am for the advice given by all the LHCF ladies. It's wonderful to be a part of a forum where people give of their knowledge so freely. I'm still quite new, but I've finally come around to the idea that I need to stretch my relaxers. I have 4a hair that has quite a fine texture when relaxed, however my hair is extremely nappy. At four weeks post my hair starts to shed and it's a struggle to even get to week 6. I want to retain some length and thickness (the longest part of my hair is slightly past my neck when soaking wet and my hairline is slowing growing back after having my second baby 15 months ago.

I'm committed to stretching my relaxer this time, but I'm afraid of the hair loss due to shedding. I've heard so much about BBD stretch. Do I need this to get me through? Will it help w/ the shedding? I am at wk 4 right now and beginning to have troubles. Is my hair just too kinky to stretch? Please help me with any advice you can. TIA

LAYDEE

Iam also stretching for the 1st time. Im currently at 8 weeks post(i thought i was at 9 but i had to do some recalculating:lol: )-and im working on 10. So far I havent had any problems with the stretch-i might go longer. I havent used the BBD stretch. I've noticed that my weekly co-washes help out alot! I've been adding honey to my conditioner and my hair feels so soft afterwards. Most of the time i rollerset and sit under the dryer or air dry with two pony tails. I also use WGO on my edges and scalp and kemi oyl on my ends. My NG is cooperating and my ends look better than they ever did(baggy method). HTH
**My hair is type 4a/b and very fine.

MzOptimistic

I am a 4a too and I am currently at, well I will be 9 weeks post Tuesday. Co washes every 2 or three days will help ALOT. The baggie method as LAYDEE stated helps also. I was having problems keeping my hair moisturized because it was so dry around 7 weeks post relax. I used my fiance pro-line comb thru softner moisturizing cream and my hair is moisturized and is not breaking and I can even comb through the newgrowth with no breakage although I prefer not to....This is helping me. I am trying to stretch to 12 weeks but I don't know we'll see how it goes. I have never went past 9 weeks before because my hair would become dry but now with the vitamins, co washes and pro-line comb thru. I am able to stretch...HTH:)

LAYDEE

tsmith said:
I am a 4a too and I am currently at, well I will be 9 weeks post Tuesday. Co washes every 2 or three days will help ALOT. The baggie method as LAYDEE stated helps also. I was having problems keeping my hair moisturized because it was so dry around 7 weeks post relax. I used my fiance pro-line comb thru softner moisturizing cream and my hair is moisturized and is not breaking and I can even comb through the newgrowth with no breakage although I prefer not to....This is helping me. I am trying to stretch to 12 weeks but I don't know we'll see how it goes. I have never went past 9 weeks before because my hair would become dry but now with the vitamins, co washes and pro-line comb thru. I am able to stretch...HTH:)

These are definitely the key elements to help the stretch-IMO-I didnt highlight the pro-line comb thru because i only comb my hair on wash days. Another thing i forgot to add is to try protective styles, phony pony, braidouts and my favorite--bantu knots. I love the bantu knots because all you have to do is finger comb your hair and go!

LadyJ76

LAYDEE said:
These are definitely the key elements to help the stretch-IMO-I didnt highlight the pro-line comb thru because i only comb my hair on wash days. Another thing i forgot to add is to try protective styles, phony pony, braidouts and my favorite--bantu knots. I love the bantu knots because all you have to do is finger comb your hair and go!

tsmith and Laydee,

Thank you for you responses. It looks like I need to revisit co-washing. I've tried it a few times but it made my hair hard. What do you ladies use for co-washing? I'm going to cut my washes back to 2x a week and work on finding a good moisturizer. As far as protective styles, I would love to do them but my hair is too short (it's in layers and the back part barely touches the bottom of my neck when dry.) I may be able to pull of a phoney pony, but I'll need to find a good match to my hair.

I do think my hair will be much easier to take care of once I hit APL or even shoulder length, but right now I'm just strugglin to get there. Thankyou for the advice. I'm determined to do this and at least get to full shoulder length.

LAYDEE

LadyJ76 said:
tsmith and Laydee,

Thank you for you responses. It looks like I need to revisit co-washing. I've tried it a few times but it made my hair hard. What do you ladies use for co-washing? I'm going to cut my washes back to 2x a week and work on finding a good moisturizer. As far as protective styles, I would love to do them but my hair is too short (it's in layers and the back part barely touches the bottom of my neck when dry.) I may be able to pull of a phoney pony, but I'll need to find a good match to my hair.

I do think my hair will be much easier to take care of once I hit APL or even shoulder length, but right now I'm just strugglin to get there. Thankyou for the advice. I'm determined to do this and at least get to full shoulder length.

I have 3 favorite cons...NTM, Suave Milk & Honey, and Nacidit Avocado Conditoner. I mix 1 teaspoon honey and 1 teaspoon Evoo to which ever one i use that day.

MzOptimistic

LadyJ76 said:
tsmith and Laydee,

I use Leklair sheabutter cholesterol conditioner and Queen helene cholesterol conditioner. I am going to purchase CON nourishing conditioner. These keep my hair very moisturized and soft. LAYDEE I don't want to use my NTM for co washes...shoot that stuff cost to much. LadyJ you will get past shoulder length in no time at all. I also like Suave Milk & Honey but IMO the Leklair sheabutter cholesterol conditioner or Queene helene gets my hair more moisturized and soft.

Last edited:

LAYDEE

tsmith said:
I use Leklair sheabutter cholesterol conditioner and Queen helene cholesterol conditioner. I am going to purchase CON nourishing conditioner. These keep my hair very moisturized and soft. LAYDEE I don't want to use my NTM for co washes...shoot that stuff cost to much. LadyJ you will get past shoulder length in no time at all.

I know what ya mean girl, but i just cant get enough of the NTM!:grin: Good thing its sold at the military exchange. So i get it at a cheaper price and its tax free!! I just love being in the military:cool: :lol:

MzOptimistic

LAYDEE said:
I know what ya mean girl, but i just cant get enough of the NTM!:grin: Good thing its sold at the military exchange. So i get it at a cheaper price and its tax free!! I just love being in the military:cool: :lol:

Lucky you cuz that stuff cost 6.79. I buy mine from Walgreens because that's the only place that sells it in my neighborhood. I also buy from drugstore.com. I buy enough to last for months but it's so good that I'm stingy to myself.