stretching by length of ng instead of # of weeks

peony

Are there any stretchers out there who stretch based upon how much ng you have instead of how long it has been since your last touch up? If so, how much ng do you need to feel confident that you get no or very little relaxer overlapping? Also, if you respond please say whether you are relaxed bone straight, textlaxed, or texturized (I mean very lightly relaxed not jheri curl texturized.) Thanks!

nucienuce1

I was going to stretch for 6 months but i had 4 inches of new growth (last perm was early march), i got it permed today because it was just too much new growth. So this is what im gonna do from here on out. HTH

blackpearl81

relaxed transitioning to texlaxed....I usually do a touch-up after I see about an inch and a half or so of NG...so I basically end up stretching for about 12 weeks

msa

I'm pretty sure there are several people here who do that. The poster's name is escaping me but she relaxes when she has an inch of new growth instead of judging by the weeks.

I've never been relaxed but it makes sense to me to relax when you feel you have enough new growth to minimize the chance of overlapping. I think if I were to relax I'd wait until I had 3 inches or so.

Either way, the idea makes sense to me. It's kind of like clarifying on schedule. You should clarify when you feel your hair has build up and needs it, not just on a rote schedule.

joib

I relax when I see about 1.5 inches of ng. For me that's around 3 months. I can never remember what day I relax on so this way makes it easier to keep track.

Kacie

I relax at about 5 months post, regardless of my new growth measurements.

The prevention of overlapping is one reason to stretch relaxers. Another benefit is to limit exposure to such a basic solution. The chemical "pour off" is still traveling down your hair shaft. My personal goal is to relax no more than 2 times per year b/c I have fine strands and a quarter size section of my scalp has been scarred since I received my first relaxer as a preteen.

beans4reezy

I was checking my new growth a couple of weeks ago and the thought came to me that I should get a touch up when I reach a certain number of inches. I think it makes more sense then counting the weeks...15 weeks post BTW :giggle:

doll-baby

I normally relax when I have about an inch an a half of new growth which is normally by 10 weeks post .

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
I relax no sooner than 8 weeks. But by then I have a 2 inch fro. I don't really count weeks or inches, I just look at what my hair is doing. Around week 4 is when my NG is pronounced and that's when the scalp tlc comes in...

soulie

I base it on length of NG -- but I've never measured the NG, I just know when it is "enough". If I had to estimate I would guess 1-1/2 inches or so.