• Hot oil treatments.

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Poranges

Positive Vibrations
Hey experienced stretchers, I thought it would be great to have a thread with all the things that helped the most while stretching.

So stretchers who stretch 12+ weeks, what techniques helped the most while you are/were stretching? How long do you normally stretch?

I will include a poll. TIA! :yep:

I want to say Dcing & Detangling. When I stretch the Deep Conditioners DEFINITELY make my hair a bit more manageable but if I go days without detangling my hair matts up right up at the demarcation line :/

I'm 7 weeks post going for 16 weeks...Pre-pooing (with Conditioner mixed with oil) followed by co-washing keeps my ng & relaxed hair VERY soft

For me it's a combination of things... low manipulation, wkly deep conditioning, only combing/detangling on wash days 1x a wk, and keeping my new growth moisturized to reduce breakage at the demarcation line. My longest stretch so far was 20 wks, right now I'm 14 wks into a 24 wk stretch...

I'm transitioning (41 weeks post) which is almost the same as a long term stretch and what helps me is deep conditioning 1-2 times a week, co-washing once a week, and doing a mild protein deep conditioning once a week. I do hot oil treatments as a pree-poo and I shampoo my hair with a moisturizing shampoo once a week. I also make a homemade leave in for my hair too. Doing these things have kept my hair strong and moisturized. I haven't had any breakage at the demarcation line and my hair is soft and easy to comb.

detangling moisturizing conditioner, the best that i've used thus far during long stretches is silk elements moisturizing conditioner it detangles my hair like no other makes it very easy to stretch.
I wash blow dry and flat iron normally weekly and my hair always looks freshly relaxed even when i'm 8 months post. but it's all in finding good conditioners once hair is detangled well everything else is easy.

I went almost 4 months without a relaxer this year. What I noticed is that the longer I stretch, the dryer my hair gets. Low manipulation is a must if you're going to do long stretched IMO. and for me I MUST wash once a week. The longer I go without washing the more hair tangles and knots as I get deeper in my stretch.

For Me, it has been Simply Listening to My Hair. And being flexible enough to adjust and re-adjust as My Hair Dictates.:yep:

This is what has greatly Helped:grin:.
1) DC with Heat
2) Co-Washing
3) Finger Detangling
4) Heavy Daily Moisturize (NG Area)
5) Weekly Use of a Reconstructor at about week 8-10
6) Careful Balance of Protein/Moisture
7) Keeping Porosity in Check

I relaxed last Friday, one day short of 23 weeks, with good growth and wonderful retention.

What worked for me:
Moisturizing DC using the steam treatment (2 - 3 times a week)
Co-washing (2 - 3 times a week)
Finger detangling most of the time
Full detangling once in awhile
Mild protein treatments a few times a month

As I got further along my hair got dryer so I spritz my hair with a moisturizing spray and then seal with butter/oil.

What I noticed is that the longer I stretch, the dryer my hair gets. Low manipulation is a must if you're going to do long stretched IMO. and for me I MUST wash once a week. The longer I go without washing the more hair tangles and knots as I get deeper in my stretch.
ITA, especially with the bolded.

Thanks OP for this post! I am in the middle of a four month stretch and am noticing the dryness/tangling that everyone's talking about! *subscribes* :yep:

So far I am 35.5 weeks going for 104 weeks, 88 weeks minimum.

The practices that help me stretch are:

protective styling via extension braids and wigs,

hot oil treatments,

porosity control/deep conditioning/protein treatments once a week,

low low low manipulation,

detangling dry hair then followed by washing/DCing my hair in 4-6 big plaits,

handling my hair very gently,

and lastly, moisturizing everyday.

• Protective styling
  • Deep conditioning weekly
  • Moisturizing with water-based moisturizers (conditioners)
  • Baggying nightly
  • Detangling is still a problem although it's not visible

My DH is always complaining that he doesn't see my hair while stretching so for now my weekly style is:

1. Scarf method, rollerset the back
  2. Airdry
  3. At bedtime, I use large flexirods on the ends only, tie scarf around with rods hanging out and put on satin cap with rods tucked inside
  4. Moisturize and seal as needed
The results are a rollerset look. Sometimes I place my snood on my hair. Thanks for the snood Toyagurl. My DH loves my stretching now! :lick:

Last edited:
I usually stretch every 16 wks, but if i HAD to pick one it would be deep conditioning frequently. I deep condition once a week.

Im finishing up on a 4mth stretch and what has really helped me is deep conditioning 2 times a week,low manipulation and moisturizing.

deep conditioning frequently w/ heat, I'm starting to think that once a week isn't enough too,
when you deep condition, really coat that new growth with conditioner, it drinks it right up and makes it a breeze to comb through
Also , make sure you maintain your moisture levels between washes because if not, your ng will be dry as a desert and mat up at the demarcation line.
I also find it helpful to section and comb out my hair as much as I can without breakage and braid it in 4 braids before washing, it really helps reduce the amount of shedding in the shower too.
But to stretch, you really need good conditioner. Because our hair is obnoxious to detangle without it.

For me it is moisture/protein balance. If my hair is not strong or pliable enough to bare the two textures its a wrap! I have to have that balance in order to properly tend to my hair, without it I would be unable to detangle and or style it successfully.

all that other stuff helps- the dcing, low manipulation & etc, but I don't know how in the world I would stretch if there wasn't this thing called coconut oil. :yep: When the stretching gets tough, the coconut oil gets going!!! I put it in my hair just about every other night, I wrap and let my hair down in the morning -- ahhhh! the stuff is good.

Last edited:
Wish you could choose more than one. There are several techniques that are getting me through:

1. Keeping the NG moisturized and try not to manipulate it.
2. Protective styles
3. Pre-pooing and hot oil treatments (coconut oil and castor oil :yep:)
4. Deep conditioning at least once a week
5. Clarify every two weeks
6. Mild protein treatment every 1 or 2 weeks. (Heavy protein treatment 10-12 weeks out)

What helps me most is protective styling such as braids. Otherwise, I may get alot of breakage from all the manipulation.

The most important thing for me is frequent Pre-poos/DC. Every week I apply the DC mixed with oils, and honey like a relaxer from root to tip. I also must do a through detangling session from tip to root, then back over from root to tip to prevent matting and tangles.

The most important thing for me was low manipulation. IMO that is the key to a successful stretch. Everything else helps, but without keeping the manipulation to a minimum I would've never made it to 25 weeks post.

I believe the Moisture/Protein balance is thee main thing to sustain and to keep the line of demarcation Strong, then the Protective Styling comes into play. For me basically nothing else works because of my hand-in-hair disease.

Lately, its been returning to washing and DCing in plaits.

Protein/moisture balance

Low manipulation

Baggying a few time a week to bed or lounging around the house.

Being very gentle and patient when detangling.

Back