Straightening the hair.....help

Zakina

I can't get my hair straight with a flatiron. I've used the Sedu and the result was flattned frizz. Today I bought a cheap Philips flatiron. It works better than the Sedu but still I'm left with almost the same result.....weird looking semi-straight hair :mad:!

When I go to the salon they use a blowdryer and comb and I get wonderful results, they also use a flatiron on all my hair quickly when finished.

Today I also bought the Beliss by Babyliss;

I haven't opened the box yet and I'm afraid to since if I do and I'm not satisfied then I wont be able to return it and it cost quite alot! Has anyone used it and do you think that using it and flatironing as a finish will get me that bone-straight hair that I got at the salon?

Also I want something that's simple thats why I bought the Beliss as I can straighten myself, but as with a blowdryer and a comb I would have a harder time doing so. How do you straighten with a blowdryer, do you have an attached comb or just a normal comb to hold the hair while the hot air straightens it?

I'm really new to straightening...so I hope you all can help me :D

HoneyDew

Blowdrying my hair straight causes more damage than airdrying and flatironing.

But, after my leave in, I must put a serum like Redken Heat Glide or Keracare Silken Seal on my WET hair BEFORE it dries.

After it is dry, the flatiron straightens sleek and perfectly.

Doremie13

HoneyDew said:
Blowdrying my hair straight causes more damage than airdrying and flatironing.

But, after my leave in, I must put a serum like Redken Heat Glide or Keracare Silken Seal on my WET hair BEFORE it dries.

After it is dry, the flatiron straightens sleek and perfectly.

This works for me, too, although I use NTM. Plus, I found that I get the best results when I iron smaller sections of hair, and I also put a little bit of cream moisturizer on each section as I iron, which I do every other wash.

aileenadq

I have MUCH smoother results when I rollerset then flatiron. Blowdrying will damage you hair, esp. if the dryer is too hot or close to the hair.

Try rollersetting and then flatironing. Or, go to a Dominican salon and watch closely how they do it so you can recreate at home.

I gained in length and hair health once I stopped blowdrying. It does take longer, but it's worth it.

blackhair

Well I ordered solia Tourn..something flat iron. I got great reviews in folica website. UPS will deliver tomorrow (cross fingers). I will tell you if it does the job. At 88 dollars it better be a GREAT TOOL....

isawstars

your heat protectant or serum can make a difference as well... and also the temperature of your flat iron. when i first used a flat iron, i noticed that my hair needed to be on a semi high temperature. (on the sedu i put it on 180 and get silky results)

How do you dry your hair before straightening it?

Personally, I get the best results using a blow dryer. I blow dry my hair with a round brush (don't use the brush when your hair is soaking wet though). When it is dry, I glide a brush or comb (depending on the amound of new growth) through my hair right before I put the iron on it, making it straight as possible.

atlien11

I get the best results when i blow dry and then flat iron too! However, for my hair's sake i dont do this very often. What i do is, I just use really big rollers to dry the hair smooth, and the i flat iron. The key is to get the hair cuticle to dry smooth. For me (i have 4B hair type) air drying does not do the trick. Think of it as drying jeans in the dryer vs. air drying jeans. The rollerset will help smooth the cuticle a little better (imo). Goodluck.

ChocoKitty

If I use a blow dryer I hold my hair "taut" and run the dryer up and down the length on cool/warm until the hair is slightly damp holding my ends in my hand. Then I turn up the heat and continue to run the dryer up and down the length. Once straightened I dry my ends in the same manner as the length. Hope this makes sense.

douglala

The same thing used to happen to me until I started running a soft brush along the section of hair I am about to flat iron immediately before the flatiron. It's kind of tricky but not hard to learn. I basically position the brush on my hair with one hand then pick up the flat iron with the other hand and let them both flow through my section of hair - one behind the other. This made a TREMENDOUS difference. If you don't like the brush try and small toothed comb. And do it in small sections.

brownsugarflyygirl

Back in the day when I did use heat.....LOL...its only been two months but it feels like forever!!:perplexed

I had a similar flat ironing experience...I bought the really expensive CHI flat iron for $125 after reading all the rave online reviews...FLATTENED FRIZZ!

So I decided to go to Sallys and buy the Jibere flat iron for $45...it worked a lot better very smooth and it seemed to add moisture...I would recommend that flat iron...several of my friends use it with great results...

I returned the CHI to FOLICA.com...no hassles...if you can also always buy from places that allow you to return opened items..I am waay to picky and money is tooo precious to do it any other way...:look:

lexi84

douglala said:
The same thing used to happen to me until I started running a soft brush along the section of hair I am about to flat iron immediately before the flatiron. It's kind of tricky but not hard to learn. I basically position the brush on my hair with one hand then pick up the flat iron with the other hand and let them both flow through my section of hair - one behind the other. This made a TREMENDOUS difference. If you don't like the brush try and small toothed comb. And do it in small sections.

That sounds like a cool method, but my hair would have to be very moisturized in order for the brush to glide through the way I would want it to.

ReesieCup

ChocoKitty said:
If I use a blow dryer I hold my hair "taut" and run the dryer up and down the length on cool/warm until the hair is slightly damp holding my ends in my hand. Then I turn up the heat and continue to run the dryer up and down the length. Once straightened I dry my ends in the same manner as the length. Hope this makes sense.

Right after applying shine serum to wet hair, this is what I do. A roller brush will get you the results that you seek. Afterwards, I apply some Soft Sheen Creme Press (yes, I know it's old school, but it works) and then pull the Sedu through from root to ends at a temp of 180. I find that even the shampoo, conditioner, blow dryer and current relaxer can significantly affect the results.