What's the best blow dryer/flat iron/curling iron for naturals??

Greetings Ladies,

I was wondering what everyone thinks are the best tools for straightening natural hair. I usually go to the salon to get it pressed with a comb every couple of weeks. It was going well until my stylist changed locations and now seems to be lazy. In the old salon she was using Keracare and other salon products, now she is using these no-name things that smell bad, and revert my hair within hours of leaving the salon.

I straighten my hair myself also using the blowdryer and maxiglide, and then use the curling iron. This is ok once in a while but I know it will take its toll if I do it weekly. So any advice out there would be appreciated.

So far I am looking a the Sedu for a flatiron, but have no clue about which blowdryer or curling irong to use. Also do any natural rollerset then use the flatiron, I was thinking this may be better than always blowdrying. Thanks for any tips!!

I'm interested in this too... Lot's of folks seem to like the Andis 1875 watt Blowdryer... I haven't heard much about curling irons here so I'm interested in that as well. I have a MaxiGlide that works very well (I only have to put it on the second heat setting out of 10!) but I airdry with some leave in because I just didn't like how my hair felt when I blowdried with my old Revlon dryer. I'm going to watch this thread. Thanks for posting, Sunshine!

Last edited:
I think I have the Andis 1875 watt blowdryer and my technique needs improving because the middle of my hair never blow dries straight. I have a Sedu 2" and it used to work GREAT, but after a year, I am thinking of the FHI tourmaline, if it comes in tourmaline and ceramic. Right now I think by far what matters the most in straightening natural hair is the blow dry process. You have to blow dry the hair straight as fast as possible without overdrying. That's tough for me with 4A hair.

I don't use a curling iron.

Also Paul Mitchell Silky Straight (the entire line) straightens my hair out better than a regular shampoo and conditioner (w/serum). I know because I didn't use it this week and I have a bush at my roots instead of straight hair.

Yes, the key is in the blowdry. That is why I dont do mine at home anymore. One girl did my hair and I knew after the blow dry it was going to be a disaster.

At the salon I frequent, my blowdry is just about as straight as my flat iron... they use the CHI dryer and FHI iron.

I have one of those Gold N Hot blowdryers that look like combs and it works great on my hair. I LOVE IT! I can get through my head in 10 minutes.

I have to 2nd the Gold N Hot dryer that looks like a comb. Works great! Gold N Hot curling irons are the best too IMO. For flat irons, nothing comes close to the Sedu...NOTHING. Maxiglide is good but you still lose hairs in the little teeth. Sedu is my all time favorite and smooth as ever!

I have a Conair Ion Shine hairdryer that I love dries my hair real fast. I just bought the maxiglide about two weeks ago and used for the first time and loved it! My hair was straight, bouncy, and had lots of volume, my cousin even thought I went and got a relaxer! I use Paul Mitchell super skinny serum and another product I can't think of right now anyway I have pics in my album if you want to see. I don't use a curling iron I use my maxiglide to bump my ends while straighting.

Back